Since some knives are "disposable"...

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Since some knives are "disposable"...

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Are the higher-end automatics more desirable because they tend to last longer, or is that a misconception? Some of the "user" knives I own are made from the "less durable" blade. handle/scale materials. These can take quite a bit of abuse, yet by design, have a shorter "service life".

Most of my recent purchases will probably outlast me (I'm nearly 67). IMHO, they're more fun, because they can be pressed into harder service without excessive concern.

What's your opinion/philosophy?
Fishtail Picklock
jerryk25

Re: Since some knives are "disposable"...

Post by jerryk25 »

The disposable ones are harder to find in GOOD shape.

I learned to appreciate cheese macaroni and not imported caviar.

I wish I had the money to order a custom knife from everyone.
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Hi Fishtail Picklock,
As my old friend who sold cars use to say "There is a seat for every ass, and a ass for every seat. Applying that saying to knives, I'm sure there is someone out there who would pay more for a Rizzuto Estileto Milano then a Latama. I guess it is whatever your “cup of tea” is.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

BigFatRoss, sounds like a saying my grandparents used to use, "Every monkey to his own limb." And I can say that yes, I've bought and spent time polishing a cheap knife, a "worker" knife, but treated it as though it was an acrylic display case queen. Value can be subjective regardless of the hobby. I've collected everything from beer cans to glass insulators in this life, and more often than not, it was all precious and polishable. :D Peace.
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

NorthCarolinaDude wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:32 am BigFatRoss, sounds like a saying my grandparents used to use, "Every monkey to his own limb." And I can say that yes, I've bought and spent time polishing a cheap knife, a "worker" knife, but treated it as though it was an acrylic display case queen. Value can be subjective regardless of the hobby. I've collected everything from beer cans to glass insulators in this life, and more often than not, it was all precious and polishable. :D Peace.
Well said.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

I carry a "lesser" valued knife on a clip in the top of my pocket as a " disposable" user and a better knife down in my pocket if I run into a steak or such... lol. Taz
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I think it all depends on how and how much you use the knives. I'd rather wear out a $20 knife than a $200 knife. I almost always carry a knife and in a pinch I have had to use a knife as a screw driver. I'd rather ruin the tip of a cheap user than one I have paid up for. If I had to shank someone and throw the knife in a river I'd rather use the $20 beater.
2024 candidate for president
john

Post by john »

sammy the blade wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:23 pm I think it all depends on how and how much you use the knives. I'd rather wear out a $20 knife than a $200 knife. I almost always carry a knife and in a pinch I have had to use a knife as a screw driver. I'd rather ruin the tip of a cheap user than one I have paid up for. If I had to shank someone and throw the knife in a river I'd rather use the $20 beater.
I agree ☝️
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed