Blade sits "Proud"

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
pappy57

Blade sits "Proud"

Post by pappy57 »

I'm pretty sure I've read this problem can be fixed but not how big a deal it is. I have an AGA 10 incher that has a kind of weird condition. Looking at it from the button side it has a very,very,very slight lean toward "proud". Flip it over and what the h#ll? Very noticable. Can't post pics right now but will try later.
JulesVane

Re: Blade sits "Proud"

Post by JulesVane »

Gee Ron, sounds like a strange condition. Assuming everything else looks straight? Strange how the 2 side profiles would show a different result at the blade tip. Certainly sorry to hear of ANY negative condition going on. This is a 10" AGA picklock? If you need any assistance posting pics you can email them to me to post. Following along....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
pappy57

Post by pappy57 »

Yea Chris it is an AGA and is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. One side a little bit,one side "WTF". I'll try to send pics tomorrow. Thanks.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Stilettos are all about illusion. Nothing on them is really symmetrical. That's why the modern CNC-made ones always look like crap.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Pappy:

Were it my knife, I would send it to Bill DeShivs posthaste. He can analyze the problem and offer a proper solution. His remedy is worth every penny paid. If he's too busy, Muskrat Man would be an excellent alternative.

Go to Bill DeShivs first.

Thanks, Bill. You're way ahead of me (as usual). :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: I bow to the master.
Fishtail Picklock
pappy57

Post by pappy57 »

Yea but everytime I look at this I get a headarc......rk...eeck..ag...ferq..thing............crap
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm not accepting work at the present.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Stilettos are all about illusion. Nothing on them is really symmetrical. That's why the modern CNC-made ones always look like crap.
I don't want to piss you off, but you're going to have to explain that better. I find a lot of symmetry in the Italians and I'm the clown who makes drop point and upswept and birds beaks to deliberately go asymmetrical. Even if I took the statement carte blanche, what does that have to do with CNC? Burn OTF's are perfectly symmetrical, highly dependent on CNC, and gorgeous. You know more than I, but I'd strongly suspect that there is a lot of CNC stuff in Angelo's production. I'd love to use CNC and my designs are in the correct format, but I just don't have the volume for what the cutters call a small production run. Color me baffled.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

ILikeStilettos wrote:
Bill DeShivs wrote:Stilettos are all about illusion. Nothing on them is really symmetrical. That's why the modern CNC-made ones always look like crap.
I don't want to piss you off, but you're going to have to explain that better. I find a lot of symmetry in the Italians and I'm the clown who makes drop point and upswept and birds beaks to deliberately go asymmetrical. Even if I took the statement carte blanche, what does that have to do with CNC? Burn OTF's are perfectly symmetrical, highly dependent on CNC, and gorgeous. You know more than I, but I'd strongly suspect that there is a lot of CNC stuff in Angelo's production. I'd love to use CNC and my designs are in the correct format, but I just don't have the volume for what the cutters call a small production run. Color me baffled.
Dave i too looked into having some stilettos made with cnc but they told me same thing just to start their machine up would cost me 3500 bucks but if i bought the material i could have much as i wanted made. i have access to cnc and water jet cutting as a friend of mine i grew up with now owns a custom neon light producing factory. the 3500 it took to statr machine up they were giving me friend price so for the small run i wanted to do was just not worth the money as the knives would have to sell for 1500 bucks each . Angelo i dont think uses much cnc at all most his knives are still made old school way with dies and stamps .
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I like most of Angelo's products. It takes a great deal of dedication to stamp everything out and hand-mill parts, making certain that they'll fit just right! That requires the hands of a skilled craftsman. I can appreciate that. Sadly, not everything always works as planned. I love AGA Campolin's knives (I should, I have six sitting before me as we speak). ;) :roll: :mrgreen:
Fishtail Picklock
pappy57

Post by pappy57 »

Well sh#t, I never meant to start a big "thing". I too love AGA knives, I have eleven (including the one in question) and I fully understand that NO Italian switchblade is ever going to be "Perfect". So...............to get back to my original question....is it..an ..easy..or ...comp..li..ca..ted..thing to fix? I am not asking you to do it Mr. DeShivs. Just asking as to the difficulty of the procedure. On scale of 1 to 10. 1 being easy,10 being hard.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's not easy to answer that question.
It depends on what is causing it.
Technically, the backspring needs to be "longer" in effect. Sometimes this can be accomplished by changing the backspring pin-if an undersized one has been installed. This will pull the backspring down and make it flex out longer.
Sometimes the problem is with the blade pivot pin.
And sometimes, you actually have to physically make the spring longer- and yes- I have the capability to do that. It needs to be lengthened between the lock tab and the backspring pin.
pappy57

Post by pappy57 »

Thanks Mr. De Shivs, I've always felt it might have to do with the blade pivot pin hole being drilled at an obscure angle thus causing a kind of "twist" to the blade. Again, Thanks.
georgyboy

Post by georgyboy »

yes some famous custom makers dont realize that there are' trade secrets'involved in the building of stilettos and rely on spacers etc. to make things WORK-G