Composite Gemstone Scales

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Spring Blade

Composite Gemstone Scales

Post by Spring Blade »

Hi Folks,
It's been a while since I've had the time to work on any knife projects, but I think that I'm going to make the time. I'm starting to get that itch again... :) I'm thinking that I would like to build something with composite gemstone scales, has anyone worked with this stuff before? How fragile is it? Do I need special tools to work it? are there any special tricks that I need to know? I am moderately experienced and have been pleased with my previous efforts, but don't want to bite off too much! Thanks in advance! 8)
Happiness is a Warm Gun and a Sharp Blade (or Two).
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Composite Gemstone Scales

Post by Vagrant »

Spring Blade wrote:Hi Folks,
It's been a while since I've had the time to work on any knife projects, but I think that I'm going to make the time. I'm starting to get that itch again... :) I'm thinking that I would like to build something with composite gemstone scales, has anyone worked with this stuff before? How fragile is it? Do I need special tools to work it? are there any special tricks that I need to know? I am moderately experienced and have been pleased with my previous efforts, but don't want to bite off too much! Thanks in advance! 8)
This stuff is strong but brittle :idea: Some is very attractive :idea: Back it up with wood or metal when shaping it :idea: Don't try to go to fast or use grinding tools that are aggressive. [Bill may have better ideas] :idea:
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I've used it on a few knives. It looks pretty good but like Al says, it is brittle. Takes a nice polish.

Tom
Attachments
ST4 -STU-ad-1-4size.jpg
ST4 -STU-ad-1-4size.jpg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Spring Blade

Post by Spring Blade »

Thanks Guys!
Nice piece Tom! :mrgreen:

So I can use ordinary drill bits, files, sand paper, and dremel bits to work it? Do you actually glue it to a backing piece to shape it? What would work best to cut a blank scale lengthwise?

Thanks for your time! :D
Happiness is a Warm Gun and a Sharp Blade (or Two).
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

A hint from the "doghouse" ....when drilling holes use sharp drill bits , & don't force the bit , go slow .....This is where I usta crack the scales !

Rondog
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Any polishing tips. I am just starting one myself.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I used a core-drill and a milling machine, I "stuck" the composite to a piece of brass [with double sided tape] that was in the milling vise. [lacking this combo, use a sharp drill and go slowly] :idea:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

ChadEntwistle wrote:Any polishing tips. I am just starting one myself.
Always use progressively finer grits of polishing media :idea: