How long does it take you to grind a blade?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
storebought

How long does it take you to grind a blade?

Post by storebought »

Hello Bill. I am curious to know, if you don't mind? I believe I read somewhere that Mr. Panak grinds up to six a day???
Never trust the weird looking little dog ~ or anyone else for that matter.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't grind many, I don't use jigs, so I'm not in practice. It takes me 2-3 hours to do one.
With jigs, it would take about 45 minutes to one hour.
Bill
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

Bill DeShivs wrote:I don't grind many, I don't use jigs, so I'm not in practice. It takes me 2-3 hours to do one.
With jigs, it would take about 45 minutes to one hour.
Bill
The style and length would play a part in the time too. Would you agree with that Bill? I only know fixed blade knife making so I'm not speaking from experience here.
'Such is Life'
Mick
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Length and style play a big part. I was speaking of an average, full ground folder blade.
Bill
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

I dont use jigs with what I do either and it can take me a day or (Usually) more to have a bit of steel shaped, ground and ready for sanding to polished, depending on the size and style. Remembering that I have never worked on anything as small as a 'Pocketknife'. So I'm not arguing here, I'm just jealous that I don't know how to make folders just yet :lol: . I will get there one day though.
'Such is Life'
Mick
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

When you say "Jigs" do you mean like this wooden thingy the guy has attached to the blade here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfi2m9wnNA

and also check out this grinder clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYllaxuzMk0

how easy would it be to grind with one of these?
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

working now ,before I got a body builder site.
Last edited by j.a.c. on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't have time to look at the video right now.
By jigs I mean any device that helps you hold a consistent angle when grinding. Using them is a great way to produce blades quickly and accurately. You can rough grind, change belts and finish grind with little concern for ruining the lines of a blade.
Bill
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Jac yeah sorry :oops: .....I don't know how I managed that but now it is the clip I intended :wink:

Bill yeah that is what I mean, something to give you a consistent grind.........I've heard that folks do it by hand :? .....could never figure that out, it seems so much easier and consistent to use something to hold the blade
evenstephen

Post by evenstephen »

Hi Jorvic, I use a KMG and a jig. It goes very quickly. In fact I have to slow myself down sometimes before I take too much off.
Evenstephen.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Mr.Evenstephen,
The KMG looks awesome :D ....I don't think I could get one on this side of the pond, but I wouldn't think that you would need much else to make good knives :wink:
evenstephen

Post by evenstephen »

Well you will have skip a few meals to pay for one. I did, and I think the loss of weight improved my marathon time.

The only other thing you need to make good knives is a whole bunch of tools and machines. And talent, which I don't presume to because even my cat would laugh if I did.
13blades

Post by 13blades »

What may I ask is a KMG? You have got me curious now.
evenstephen

Post by evenstephen »

KMG is just another knife grinding machine. I saw a demo and loved it. Now I have 2 different models. ES
storebought

Post by storebought »

I think the KMG is a real production machine, and it does way more than I need. I bought a 10" Coote grinder (with all the goodies; porcelan platen, small radius rollers with separate belt unit, knife rest) and I love it. It is set up with a 1hp sealed motor with a 3 pully hookup.

I can do so much with this tool. It was a bit pricey, but compared to the Bader, KMG and grizzly grinder (entry level POC) it is an exceptional value.

http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/Accessories/index.html
Never trust the weird looking little dog ~ or anyone else for that matter.