Is this worth putting life into?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
joeybladez

Is this worth putting life into?

Post by joeybladez »

I picked this piece of junk up at a antique store for 8 dollars;is this even worth having restored or should it be used for a chisel,LOL?

Freedom isnt free
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

For splitting kindling [for starting a fire] or for chopping brush, it just needs some sharpening :idea: No need to "pretty it up" :wink:
I'd follow Bill's advice about restoring it, he knows a lot more about that than I ever will :!:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Khukris are way out of my line. Some of them are worth big bucks and they all look the same to me.
Better check on Bladeforums or Knifeforums for more information. After you have found out what you have, I can give you advise on restoring.
Bill
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

You really should read up about those. They are kind of cool knives.
Used by their military. Several different variations for different ranks.
The sheaths are normally made of wood covered in leather and hold two other very small knives.
The two grooves in the bottom of the blade by the handle also have a special purpose.
I was told that when you draw anothers blood with the knife your to draw your own blood as well. Or something such as that.
The handles are generally horn which probably has some significants too but I really don't remember. That is about the extent of my knowelege on them.
Had several once upon a time, sort of whish that I had kept a couple but...found someone more fond of them then myself.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Markco the Mad otter wrote:You really should read up about those. They are kind of cool knives.
The two grooves in the bottom of the blade by the handle also have a special purpoose.
I was told that when you draw anothers blood with the knife your to draw your own blood as well. Or something such as that.
Numerous variations of this myth.
Such as ANY time the knife is drawn, it can not be resheathed until it draws blood of an "evil doer" :!:
Geat stories but the truth is, none are factual :(
They represent the Trident of Kali [a Hindu Goddess] :idea:
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Aw yes. That is the story that I was told.
Then what are the notches for?
I had also heard that they were for religous purposes?
Anything to that?
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Markco the Mad otter wrote:Aw yes. That is the story that I was told.
Then what are the notches for?
I had also heard that they were for religous purposes?
Anything to that?
The notches represent the Trident [in her lower right hand] and Kali is an important deity, that's the relgious conection :idea: Picture 2 MORE notches and there would be 3 prongs between them but why go to all that trouble to cut out more metal, when you can cut it out with your mind's eye ?
Milu

Post by Milu »

Trident of Kali sounds plausible, the one I liked was that it was something a little more personal and sexually oriented of Kali's :lol: and a Hindu fertility symbol.

Another story is that the clit (oops) is there to stop the blood dripping onto the handle after it's been used as well as a type of blade-breaker.

Yet another is that it is a cow's hoof print which is sacred to hindus - a little reminder no to slaughter cows with it.

I guess any or all are possible explanations. The one I've never heard a satisfactory explanation for is the ridge in the middle of the handle. Certainly not a very comfortable way to improve grip. Most European users tend to sand them down after a while.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
joeybladez

Post by joeybladez »

Very interesting guys.
Freedom isnt free