Poll - does Ashcrofts latest effort make you feel safer?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!

Does this make you feel safer

Poll ended at Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:45 pm

Yes! I knew Osama was behind those ungummed rolling papers.
8%
No! What's next rubber gloves and a cavity search?
92%

Total votes: 13

hollowdweller

Poll - does Ashcrofts latest effort make you feel safer?

Post by hollowdweller »

DRUG PARAPHENALIA CRACKDOWN
IMPACTS INTERNET PRIVACY!

Beyond shutting down retailers and distributors of paraphernalia, thesting also shut down 11 Internet retailers. Six domain names wereplaced under the control of the U.S. Drug Enforcement
Administration.

"Some but not all of the domain registration have been modified in an unusual manner as part of the crackdown. "Four domains registered through Register.com, and two which are registered through GoDaddy Software, have had their original DNS name server entries removed and replaced with a single name NS.PIPEDREAMS.DEA.GOV. The ownership and contact information of the domains did not appear to have been modified,
however."

"By redirecting these domains to a government web site, its
operators are able to collect information about visitors coming to the site. This includes not only a user's IP address, but more specific information (cookies) which the original site may have stored on the user's computer during previous visits. Both types of information have the potential to personally identify users who naively attempt to visit the shut down sites," 2600 adds.

"It's one thing to post an asset seizure notice, but it's another thing to actually redirect traffic to the DEA, especially when it is known that DEA captures IP addresses of visitors," Richard Glen Boyre, legal counsel for the Center for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics." told2600.

For the drug culture economy, online privacy, and niche comics
distribution, "Operation Pipe Dreams" may lead to lasting
nightmares.

stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Big Brother is always watching

I'm sure the ATF loves you people
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Don't get me started...
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

And a lot of States are drooling over the prospect of collecting sales taxes on internet purchases. :x
California has also tried to collect tobacco taxes on out of state cigarette purchases. They contacted about 200 cigarette websites and asked for lists of all customers in CA and exactly what they bought. They got about 10% compliance on that. They then sent tax bills to the people on the lists. The people who got the tax bills then complained to the sellers, telling them they'd never buy from them again. Now according to the L.A. Times compliance is in the "single-digits." :D
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

what the hell! you know i love my american friends, but i've gotta say, it seems pretty fuc*ed up down there - bloody laws against everything that people want to do - no such thing as a free world.

all the goverment will acheive by these means is to drive the "underground economy" even deeper.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

bloody laws against everything that people want to do

Agreed but, my license to carry a handgun only costs $10 [U.S.] for 4 years. The government is too big and too powerful but I won't get started or I'll keep going for hours.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

ok, but being big and powerful means no-one tells you what to do - right?

after all don't those people work for you

being a canuck - i won't pretend to understand the US gov. - but from where i park my ass, it's ways reek of hypocracy!

maybe you can use your gun permit as rolling papers, $10 may be cheap for papers if your goverment bans selling them!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

being a canuck - i won't pretend to understand the US gov.

You think WE do?????
We're supposed to own it but it appears to own us [or plans too].
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

scary isn't it? we aren't too far off here either, but at least they pretty much gave up on spankin us for smokin herb. but hey, without big brother , all would be kaos right?!? oooh, it's late, and i'm rambling, gotta go do my nightly sweep for bugs, and sweep up the hard drive - and uh if big bro is listening - suck this! (you can't see, but i'm holding a rather large dagger) heh, heh.....
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

ATF has no intrest in knives,if they did it would be ATFK, i have a friend with a gun shop, he told me they don't even look at the knives when they visit him. i was told by a seller on BA that customs are cracking down a little though! checking imports for terrorist threats. maybe a nucular knife? interesting, i want one!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I have moved this to "'OFF TOPIC" forum which is where issues like this should be posted.
PB