The Right To Leave......

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Vagrant,

Thats it! only last time you worded the last sentence "Right now I am having a beer and am very much afraid of myself"

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Having Sambvca tonight - it lessens the fear.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I think we are a nation of immigrants and that is what gives the US it's strength. On the other hand the people who immigrated here for the most part came to become americans. Some even "americanized" their names. Now I think we are getting so many people from other countries that they are kind of forming their own countries within a country. I think security trumps religion on the covering of faces.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

HO, (this is the last time I will use this abbreviation)

Your comment "the people who immigrated here for the most part came to become americans. Some even "americanized" their names. Now I think we are getting so many people from other countries that they are kind of forming their own countries within a country" is as agood an analysis of the situation as I have seen. Furthermore, some Americans who were born here seem to be rejecting American culture for that of the country that their ancestors emigrated from.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Teddy Roosevelt said there are NO hyphenated Americans.
Although he tried to encourage the "Anglo-Amercan" Yule-log instead of the "German-American" Christmas Tree. [He gave-up finally and put up a tree in the White House].
My father was "Irish-American" and "German-American" but he had NO problem killing Germans in WW-2 so I guess that what was in front of the hyphen didn't mean much. I wonder if some new imigrants would feel the same way?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Que pais es este?

My son played in a soccer tournament this weekend in the Charlotte area - we won :D We played most of our games in a nice new athletic complex in a nice new area. Each field had a sign designating the field number and a a sign with the rules about use. Standard stuff for this type of field, but the sign wasn't in English, and it wasn't even bilingual. The sign was in Spanish only! English is the official language of the USA, and in areas with high concentrations of immigrants with a common language, we sometimes accommodate them with bilingual signs. However it is a striking sign of the times when here in the USA there is sign in a public place that contains no English.

Jim
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Mr_Guano; Love your cartoon, never saw that before. :lol:
Regards
blackjack
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

English is the official language of the USA,
A common but I think mistaken belief, [and I thought so too]. The truth is we have No official language. We do have an official, official language, all official business and records of congress must be in English but that does not make it the official language for anything else. There is a legend that German lost to English for the congressional language by one vote, but I can't verify this, some sites say yes, others say wrong, never happened. Either way there is no official public language, unless one was adopted in the last year or so and I missed it, [that's possible] in which case ignore all of the above.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

well you fine americans can be glad that you can read both sides of your cerial box in the morning! half the reading space on my shreddies is french - damn! there are places around vancouver that have chinese street signs! i think my neighbor mr blackjack will agree - learning chinese would be more advantagous than french! back east i imagine it would be more significant.

the only people i've heard lately with french canadian accents are RCMP - because the first thing they do to you when you join is ship you as far away from home as possible :D i think that makes them meaner :(
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Learning the Chinese language could be the most important survival tool for the 21st century. I'm practicing to say, "Don't shoot - I surrender", in the Mandarin dialect. :shock:

The Falcon
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."