Motorcycles

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Had a few rides myself when I was youger including a CZ, remember
them, a freind had a Rupp, also owned a Suzuki and Sportster. Coolest
rides, a Yamaha RZ350, and an 88 Honda Magna. Both, bone reliable
machines. The Magna looked cool to. Currently I m heading for a KLR650, great for year round riding which is tough in Vancouver.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

My current ride is a 96 magna... not the same as the old ones, but still a good ride for a <8k new and still rock solid reliable...
No helmet law in TX
have to be 21 and have insurance.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

'90 Yamaha Virago 1100
No helmut law here either.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

LUCKY BENNY AND VAGRANT!

Benny, I find it kind of odd that the age is 21 for the helmet law in Texas when your already considered an adult when it comes to driving a motorcycle when your 18... Florida and N.H. has it at 18 so why does Texas have it at 21? (I think I read an article about that once)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I forgot that about that 18 years old part because 18 was a long time ago.
:oops: Leave it to J-man to know the law almost as well as the courts.
[He probaably knows it better than the courts, but they have the final say even when they're wrong].
J-man

Post by J-man »

Why thank you Vagrant maybe If I could stop spending my money on knives I could afford to goto law school (I hate lawyers though)... oh well (I think thats the first time you ever used an Emoticon?)
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I think they rationalized it by it being the legal drinking age... its a load, but its how they sleep at night i guess... personally i rarely ride w/o my helmet, so it doesnt affect me much... but during the summer down here, its too friggin hot to were one.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Even if they didnt have a helmet law in Canada I would wear one, Im a big fan of full facers. I dont know what the roads are like anywhere else in this world but in Canada we have things flying all over the place, rocks garbage, debris and other various things coming off vehicles including cigarette butts etc. You havent lived until a rock or bolt has skipped off your visor with you left thinking, gee, if not for that visor that would have been my eye. An old time rider summed it up best for me when he explained, you spend thousands of dollars covering up the rest of your body with boots and leathers for protection, is your head not worth protecting :?: Glasses help but what about the rest of your head :?: I ride a lot and I cant count the number of times Im reminded of why I wear a helmet 8) .
Regards
blackjack
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have a screwed-up inner ear and very poor balance, a helmut destroys what little balance I have. I never wear one unless the law requires it and then I try to keep the bike moving so it balances itself.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Mr. Vagrant-
Live Free or Die :twisted: :wink:
If my choice was no riding or riding w/o a helmet... i go w/o one...
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

blackjack,

I don't know if you have these in the part of Canada where you live, but in North Carolina USA we have these insects called Junebugs. They are about the same size, weight and shape as a watermellon, except that they have wings and can fly. Taking a Junebug to the face shield at speed renders an appreciation for face shields, except that there is the distraction from the sudden exertion of the neck muscles and the need to pull over and clean said face shield.

Jim
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Blackjack,

The last thing I would want on my head hitting the pavement at 65MPH is a 5 pound helmet that suddenly turns into a 40 pound bowling ball. The highway patrol here always says helmets save lives, but they never comment on the amount of riders who die with broken necks from the things. Since CA has the stupid helmet law, yeah, I gotta ride with one, but I use the ultra-light turtle shell. I also ride with straight pipes and let everyone know when I'm around. Helmet law, let he who rides decide. Loud pipes save lives.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The most common cause of car vs bike contact is "I didn't see him". If you ride properly they should be saying "Did you SEE that idiot?" [That is all I want, for them to see me.
J-man

Post by J-man »

Jim, we have June-bugs in the St. Lawrence Low lands (All of Ontario south of the Canadian Shield and parts Quebec that is on the St. Lawrence river)... but I don't think there as big as watermellons here.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

they get smaller as you go North, here they're the size of pigeons.