Motorcycles

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Teddy,

I am sure you Brits are amused by women named "Fanny", and when women utter "I'm stuffed" after a big meal!
Also, the state dance of South Carolina is the "Shag". Here in the Carolinas, we have shagging clubs where you can go for shagging lessons. Does this sound like your kind of place?

Jim
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Jim, that sounds like my kind of place If I've watched Austin Powers in the past few weeks (or sooner). :D
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Jim

I don't watch much tv so miss a lot of "americanisms" but of the few I have noticed "fanny pack" amuses me the most......as you know, our definition of fanny is not the same as yours. :)

J man

I loathe and detest Austin Powers.....not my style of humour at all.... but I admire the skill of Mike Myers.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Jim D,

No wonder the SF crowd loves it when the Brit's visit. Smoking a Fag in SF? No thanks. That bit with the 'Fanny' is most funny. I had a friend who was working in England and his mother went over to visit. They went on all the touristy things and all day long she kept complaining her fanny was sore, much to the snickers of his Brit in-laws. He never told her!

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Bonz

We don't actually USE the word fanny anymore but don't tell anyone....it'll spoil our fun :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Yes I remember the first time I heard someone say time for a Fag.
[I knew enough to offer him a lucifer but then I explained "American" to him].
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

We have a different education system here also.....I've never understood about 3rd grade 5th grade etc. and as I've said I don't watch much telly (tv) so could someone explain.

we have prep=under 5s.....infant=5-7/8ish...junior=8-11...then a variety of secondry education for the 11-16s then college 16-18.. then university.

All ages are approximate as I'm not that familiar with our system either.

How does it work over there?
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Teddy,

Thats another thing that varies. Most kids start kindergarten at 5 years old and progress through elementary school to the 6th grade. Then junior high school is for 7 & 8th grades (sometimes 9th depending where you live) and high school is 9 through 12 grades. Age really doesn't matter, but most kids graduate at 18 years old. Then it's off to college if you can afford it. We have 3 year colleges here we call junior colleges. The 4 year colleges are usually called universities.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

It depends on were you live in Canada, most places don't have Jr. Highs, it's just elementary, then secondary/high school, then etc.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

J man...you never cease to amaze me....I didn't think they HAD schools in Canada :wink:
missaman

Post by missaman »

USED TO HAVE THREE BIKES KZ250LTD CB 360 AND A KZ900 SOLD THEM ALL WHEN THE SAFETY POLICE PASSED THE HELMET LAW HOPE YOU LIVE IN A DECENT STATE REGARDS MIAASMAN :(
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

missaman,

Welcome to the forum! I noticed that you spelled your name differently in the preceding post, so I'm not sure what is right. You mention that you hail from "The land of pleasant living". Back in the 60's and 70's there was a beer brewed in Baltimore, Md. called "National". (During my college years at the Univ. of Md. I consumed countless units of National Bohemian and National Premium). The National beer advertising jingle contained the phrase "...from the land of pleasant living we bring you National beer" By chance, is that the source of your description of your location?

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome,
No helmet law here [except for under 18]. My ride is a Yamaha Virago 1100, my Girlfriend has a Virago 700.
missaman

bikes

Post by missaman »

HAD!! :evil: a kz 250 ltd 1981, 1974 cb 360, then the safty nazis decided i needed to be protected from myself and passed the helmet law. the last time i rode was the night before it took effect ,protested by selling both bikes and bought switchblades
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

Had quite a few bikes in the past. Some Honda's, Yamaha's, and 1 HD Sportster. Had a basketcase Triumph Bonneville, but I conceded that I was way over my head and sold it before I did any major restoration.

Currently riding a 1993 BMW K75A, which I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the BMW K1200GT.