Motorcycles

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Demonblade,

Ah! Tis right you are. The things you see from the bike are far surerior than that of sitting in a car, and the smells you take in as well, like the cattle truck convoy in front of you, the occasional dead deer rotting on the side of the road, the crisp air just before the hailstones start falling, the buzz of a fresh bug up the snot-locker, the feeling of hornet impact on the right ear lobe at 80 MPH. Yes, nothing beats getting beat-up by the elements, but isn't it grand!

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Also, on a motorcycle you experience the subtle temperature changes as you ride through the countryside.

Regarding the smells, I particularly like approaching a large wildflower bloom and actually smelling the flowers before I see them. Fortunately, I don't have any allergies :) This is a very common experience when riding through the mountains of North Carolia in Spring / early Summer.

Jim
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Aaaah .... the smell of the countryside.. such fond memories of yesteryear from two-wheeled, non air-conditioned excursions into Englands "green and pleasant land".
The delicate fragrance of freshly fertilized fields (cowshit) ....the unmistakable aroma of the pig farm.....(pigshit....which is much worse) ..
...then there's the nausiating smell from the rubbish (garbage) dumps ..
...and in THIS country you absolutely Have to wear a crash hat, and as I prefer the full face type the smells can linger.

The thing is you see we don't have much by way of "open spaces"....what little country we do have is intensely farmed and often smelly.

We also have kamikazi wood pidgeons....one of those in the face at almost ANY speed is a bit unpleasant. The silly thing is though, I used to really love biking, but it really is VERY different over here.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Jim D,

My biggest fear is passing those cattle trucks on the bike. More than once I had to use quick judgement and manuvering to escape the sudden spray and the new meaning of 'Hershey Highway'.

Mr. Teddy,

California has the dreaded helmet law. I live in an area where there is plenty of rural roads the cops don't travel much, so it's off with those things. A few years ago, a couple not far from where I live were killed on their GoldWing when a guy pulled out in front of them. The weight of their full face helmets broke their necks on impact. The same thing happend to a guy a few miles from me last summer. I don't give a rats ass, helmet laws suck.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Just a resource for my American Brothers, but I only wear a helmet if I feel like it (or when cops are around, the same applies to switchblades, public drinking and smoking non-tobbaco products :roll: )
Demonblade

Post by Demonblade »

Ah yes, the smell of fresh cowshit....something we have LOTS of here in Texas. But we also have SO many miles of open roads, you can sometimes drive for hours and not see over 3 other vehicles. We don't have the dreaded helmet laws here anymore. We did, but evryone just ignored them so they finally said what the hell, it's your life. Yes sir Bonzo, it's easy to get run over on the road, but thats a chance we're all aware of before we get on them. One reason that I don't take the kids riding very much, unless we're out in the country. J-Man....bad things tend to happen to you when you partake in the beer and the bud and ride bikes...of course I'm speaking from personal experience. Back in1973 I went to a keg party and there was lots of the wicked weed there, on the way home an asshole pulled out in front of me...I spent 6 weeks in traction, but I still ride. I just do my partying away from the bike and let the old lady drive. And yes, screw the helmet laws, and the switchblade laws too. But hey, at least here they trust you to carry guns, I've had a pistol permit for years...they just kind of frown on it when you drive down the road with an AK 47 slung over your shoulder. They tend to pull you over and get into your business. Good thing I wasn't carrying a blade at the time.

Later on Guys

Demonblade
Life is short, play hard, enjoy, and carry a BIG switchblade
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Yes, nothing beats getting beat-up by the elements, but isn't it grand!
Bonz,
When I live in Louisiana I learned NEVER yawn at night on the Bike. A bug the size of a humming-bird hitting the back of the throat is NOT fun.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Helmuts deprive you of half the senses you need to stay alive on a bike.
No helmut law here, ----Yet.
Last edited by Vagrant on Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-man

Post by J-man »

Demon, When I ride I'm not stoned or drunk. One or two beers or a glass of wine isn't drunk to me. But if you had to live under the Gun laws we have in Canada you'd probably start a rebellion. ALL guns must be registred or you could face up to 10 years in jail and a prohibtion order (Meaning even if you got a pardon for a felony you could still not legally possess a firearm). I won't go into detial about what is restricted and banned. Although the registration law has only been in effect 19 days but it is costing 2 billion dollars. I find it kind of stupid that you can't carry a switch in Texas but you can carry a gun as long as you haven't been convicted of a felony and it's under your control. If your 21 or older don't have to wear a helmet in Texas. But if your 18 you can't even though your no longer a minor there... weird. Still it's worse here. Anyhow laws suck, it's Sunday night I gotta go to work tommorow :cry:

Vagrant, you lucky bastard. NO helmet laws at all, It should always be up to the rider!
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. Bonzo,

The things you see from the seat of a bike are far superior to what you see from a car. I've seen car accidents (right next to me) deer run across the road (in front of me) and one time I even saw a young Hawk come in for a crash (and tumble) landing on the side of the highway. The coolest/scariest thing I ever saw from my bike was a waterspout. I was in Jersey about a mile or two outside of Atlantic City heading into town. It was a crystal clear day except for a giant thunderhead out over the ocean just off the AC beach. This cloud was huge and it had what looked like a tube or column extending down to the ocean on its north end. I could see it spinning and it was drawing ocean water up almost into the cloud. I was heading right toward this thing and I remember thinking I hope it doesn't come on shore. I've seen some stuff while riding but that was probably the biggest thrill of all.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

My biking days also provided me with quite a few thrills....nothing as exciting as a huge bug hitting my tonsils or the drama of a waterspout.

But I remember stopping for a smoke by the side of the road one time...the sky DID look a bit black I admit but I didn't expect the bolt of lightning that hit the ground about 10 feet from me. Looking at the steam coming from the place where it hit I lit up another fag having dropped the one I was smoking and pondered my close brush with almost certain oblivion.

Having never flown in a jet aircraft my bike also gave me the thrill of travelling at my highest ever speed .... in a "racing crouch" on my FJ1200 I saw just under 170 mph on the clock. The fastest I had ever travelled in a car was about 140.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Teddy,

That bolt of lightening must have been both a scary and exciting experience. Important safety tip: When in America, refrain fron stating that you "lit up another fag"

Jim
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Yes Jim........I remembered too late.....but you all know what WE mean by a fag......just as we all know what YOU mean....

What IS your nickname..shortcut ..whatever for cigarette ?

And yes "scary" is approaching the emotion but it's got a lot more travelling to do yet :)
Last edited by Teddy on Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-man

Post by J-man »

Jim, you forgot to include that also applies to all of North America!

Teddy, most people in North America say (short form for ciggerate): Cig, Smoke, A weed (not Marijuna thats called a joint!) etc. I never have had ANYONE trying to bum a smoke off me with the phrase "Hey you got an extra fag?"
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

There certainly do seem to be times when the brits and the yanks (is that word permissable?) speak a different language and of course you lot all drive on the wrong side of the road.....it's no wonder you have so many shunts