Motorcycles

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

speaking of bikes, Im going to try and make it here in a coupla weeks... always a good crowd and a great time.
http://www.rotrally.com/
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Getting the bee in the helmet was natures way of reminding me to keep my visor down. Also Ive never driven my motorcycles down the sides of mountains but Im sure the motocross crowd would vouch for full face helmets as being better for protection even against bees
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

I had a wasp get jammed up into my helmet (half shell) while riding through the corn fields of South Jersey. I thought I could flick the damn thing away but all I ended up doing was throwing a brand new pair of Raybans deep into the corn. Never saw those shades again.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Vagrant wrote:Yup, but still have to jump through all the federal hoops. [Paper work, $200 tax, approval of local police, etc.]
A lot of trouble but still worth it, in Canada you cant even get a manual for one of those things, (even though I have one the manual is no good without the rifle).
Regards
blackjack
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

Vagrant wrote:If you don't wear a helmut nothing ever gets under it.
Yeah, but nothing will protect you when it hits your head either.

I've been pelted by gravel, chunks of asphalt, and other road debris by the car in front of me kicking it up with the rear tires. I can live with the occassional insect protein intake, but the one time that convinced me to stay with a full face, visor down, helmet is when I rode behind a car that startled a flock of flying rats (pigeons) and one of them flew right into my face. The bird survived, missing a few feathers, but my ears were still ringing for days afterwards. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had worn my half helmet, or none at all...
Bali's: one of life's simple pleasures.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

tonyccw; An experience sort of similar to yours is what sold me on full face helmets visors down. I was riding behind a gravel truck and it threw a rock, the thing skipped off my visor and left me thinking, without this visor that would have been my eye. Since that time I have occasionally carelessly taken to riding with my visor up, I felt the bee incident was mother natures final warning, keep your visor down, a warning I have heeded ever since.
Regards
blackjack
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A helmut screws-up my already poor balance and make me much more likely to fall down and go boom.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I will risk it occaisonally on a clear, super hot TX day... otherwise, its a FF arai
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Every time I look at the tatty remains of my Wayne Gardener replica Shoei I am reminded of how often said lid has prevented all manner of things including her Majesty's highways from damaging my dazzling good looks.. :wink:

Best wishes
Teddy
KnifeFighter

Post by KnifeFighter »

i used to wear a full face helmet years ago, until i wrecked my chop ( lowrider chevy ran a red light and i T BONED him at about 45MPH.) and the shoei i was wearing split right down the seam and fell off.

now, hust gimme a brain bucket/peanutt shell and im fine. out here in california, helmets are suposed to be DOT approved, but its never enforced as long as your wearing something.i do have a friend that went to his doctor ( who also rides) and told him that wearing the helmet made his neck hurt, so the DR gave him a note that he took over to the courthouse and he somehow got a court order saying he didnt have to wear one...personally, i think helmets should be a choice, not a requirment. personally, i do thnk they save lives, but IMOE, they also add a high amount of driver fatige.

anyway, nuff saif
Attachments
me.jpg
me.jpg (80.41 KiB) Viewed 5369 times
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Not mine , :cry:
A friends bike ,last 4th of july . pig roast to rasie money for HOMES FOR OUR TROOPS.