Need a Mechanic

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Need a Mechanic

Post by missaman »

I took my 1966 ford f250 out for the first time this year to blow the dust off of it and found the gas gauge doesn't work any more. How do I tell if it's the guage or the sending unit in the tank? The tank is easy to get to because its behind the seat but I dread getting under the dash
Anybody have any ideas?
Mr Jagman?
Missaman
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Hi Missa, first check the fuses.
Next, if you ground out the wire on the fuel sender unit with the key on -
the guage should read full, if it does the guage is good and the tank unit is faulty. ( maybe the float mechanism is siezed up, very common problem)
if it does not register full the guage is bad or the wire from the tank unit to the sender is not completing the circuit, check for loose or corroded connections or a break in the wire.
happy hunting.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Make sure the wire to the sender unit is well grounded to test it :idea: Sparks are NOT a good thing near the tank :roll:
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

wow Jag took the words right out of my mouth lol......missa dont blow yourself up ok? ^_^
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Dont worry about blowing yourself up Missa, it will be ok trust me :lol:
If you are worried, use a long jumper wire with crocodile clips on it and connect one end to the tank unit and the other end to a good ground connection somewhere near the front bumper, connect to tank unit before grounding test lead out !!!!!!
If there are 2 wires on the tank unit try them both, one will be for the low fuel light if your truck is so equipped.

Jagman
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

While we're on the subject, I need a mechanic to.
My problem is this, no matter how much gas I put in my tank, after about 30-35 minutes of driving, my vehicle goes dry and dies, I'l let it sit and keep turning it over and eventually it will start but after another 30-35 minutes it does it again and so on.
Ive put in a new pump, fuel lines, resistor switch, spark sending unit, and vacuum lines but it still does this. What the hell is wrong, I'm getting near my wits end with this one, (lets face it, a vehicle never comes to an unexpected stop at a convenient time). I'm beginning to think maybe someone has poured something down my gas tank and changing that might be next. Any ideas anyone? If I cant fix or get this fixed pretty soon I'm going to have to take the old girl out and shoot her...at least then I'l know why its not working.
Any ideas help or advice guys would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Blackjack,

Is the "old girl" using more water than she should?? It has been known for a faulty head gasket to give that sort of problem.

Curious
Teddy
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

What kind of vehicle is this Blackjack, what year ect, fuel injection or carb?
Last few times I saw a problem like this it was a blocked breather line on the gas tank, as the fuel pump was sucking out the gas the tank could noe breathe and created a vacuum in the tank, to the point where the gas stopped flowing. After sitting for a while it would be ok until the same thing would happen. As a quick check drive it without the gas cap on.
Rust in the tank could cause the same problem, and you can never rule out electrical gremlins, more info on the car will help.
Jagman
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Really Teddy, would there be any coolant on the ground? I never see any there. Also would a diagnostic test show this, you mean like a vacuum leak, right?
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Not too sure of the details... I'm no mechanic anyway ... I just seem to remember someone having a similar problem ... and it turned out to be water getting into one (or more) of the cylinders... but it was a long time ago and my memory might be playing up .

If you're using a bit more water than you should be... with no leaks... it might be worth checking.

Best wishes
Teddy
Bowtown Blade

Post by Bowtown Blade »

missaman
clean where the ground wire for the sending unit connects to the body/frame, just a little bit of rust or dirt can make a bad ground and that in turn makes things not want to work properly, that is where i start at the ground and fuses like JAGMAN said, then go from there
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

BlackJack,

Have you tried the ignition module? Not sure what kind of car you have (what is it?). GM's and a few other makes have a problem with the modules. When the module was bad, once they heated up, they would kill the engine. After you let it cool down for a few minutes, the motor would run until, once again the module got hot. Sort of sounds what you are describing. When the vehicle is acting up, have you checked it for spark? When it dies, does it sputter, or just shut off like you turned the key off?

Knowing what type of car you have really would help in the diagnosis process.

M.P.E.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Gentlemen,

Great suggestions, as my fuel guage is non-responsive on my little Dodge motorhome. Whenever I sober up, I'll give it a try.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

Bonz,

When matters of fuel and electricity are concerned, I find it best to do in an anebriated state. That way if you do happen to blow yourself up, it doesn't hurt as much.

M.P.E.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Bonzo wrote:Gentlemen,

Great suggestions, as my fuel guage is non-responsive on my little Dodge motorhome. Whenever I sober up, I'll give it a try.

Misser Bongo,

Before you do anything it is absolutely imperative that you remove the gas cap and check the fuel level inna tank! You might have to use a match or cigarette lighter as it's really dark down there... :smile:
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?