blade bandits

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mister re-man

blade bandits

Post by mister re-man »

I have not had the best of luck lately , but have managed to solve most of the problems - and got over the ones i couldn't.
Today i had a new one -- not sure if it's a case of big b@lls or little brains , any way here goes.
recieved a couple packages in the mail today -- first one was fine -- the second one was a surprise from a friend -- when i went to open it i was surprised alright. it seems one of the post office's finest is a little light fingered. the package had been neatly sliced open at one end and the contents removed. why they didn't take the whole thing is beyond me -- makes more sense to steal the envelope - remove contents - then throw away the envelope. that way one would assume it was lost in the mail. any way i emailed my friend to ask what he had sent. it turns out he had made me one of the stiletto key chains and mailed it to me as a gift.
had the mail come from across the pond - i might exspect it from the c-monsters - but this was mailed from the good old U.S of A. i called the post office and asked about reporting it -- after a long run around i was told to come down and file a claim and they would look into it.
my question is how could an item go through the mail open and empty with out being noticed -- my mail lady claims to know nothing , yet also claims it was delivered unopened (?) .
the problem with her story is the mail was brought into the house about two minutes after she delivered the mail - so i'm guessing someone closer to my end - rather than the senders end now has a new knife and key chain. hope the person enjoys it as much as i would have. i live in a small town so maybe i'll run into the guilty party in one of the local haunts and catch them with it hanging from his or hers belt loop. i would take great pleasure in publicly humiliating the thief.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Real shame we can't get them dye packs like the bank has. Send a package, thief decides to remove dye pack and poof ink all over the local station sorter. Now explain that.

SD
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The closer it is to your end the more likely they'll try again. I would not file a claim on a switchblde [even a tiny one]. They didn't take the envelope because if they were caught with that they could face felony charges. Having the item [only] makes it hard to prove a case against them :x Have your friend send a similar sized item [worth stealing but not worth much] to you. If it disappears file a claim with the Post Master in your town and talk to no-one else at the P.O. He may contact Postal Investigators and they are very determined to catch thieves :wink:
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I've sent several birthday cards to nieces and nephews with $20.00 bills in them that never got delivered. :(
I suspect that large, bright colored envelopes with kids' names on them are assumed by some postal employees to contain cash. I only send checks now. :?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
mister re-man

Post by mister re-man »

after taking time to think it over - i notified the post office theft dept. told then the story and explained that i had to check with the sender to find out what was sent - i said it was a small keychain w/ knife - forgot to mention it was an auto. seems they have been having a problem in my area ( ply. ma) so they are gonna contact me in a day or two. i don't think anything will come of it , but i figure if they are at least aware of the problem it will make things easier if it happens again. plus if they got away with it once maybe next time i'll lose something more valueable. luckily most of the items from online stores and auctions are shipped with delivery confirmation so less likely to be tampered with or stolen. guess after i recieve the 1/2 dozen or so packages i'm waiting on i'll take a break for awhile and spend more time playing with my toys.

p.s. Mr vagrant -- happy belated birthday -- hope it was a good one.
Last edited by mister re-man on Mon May 24, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

it would be a lot of trouble to do it,but if one could send a very visible package,one a thief could not resist,and attach a tracking device to the inclosed item,that rap would be hard to beat :wink:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
butch

Post by butch »

I hate thieve's!, If I send a pacage to someone I alway's have tracking put on it,It's only 50. and it's a big help when thing's do get mixed up or lost.I for one never trusted the post office.
Sorry for your loss myster re-man

Butch
mister re-man

Post by mister re-man »

Butch - thanks -- as you know i send all my packages priority mail with confimation. this was a gift from --007-- . i had sent them a willie nelson bumper sticker fo their camper and as a thank you they sent me the keychain. snail mail s#cks at best , but it's worse when they star stealing your stuff -- lesson learned -- package well and get confimation.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

mister re-man wrote:package well and get confimation.
Words to live by! :D
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
ktonix

Post by ktonix »

I hate the c-monsters
when I ordered my katana , they held it for 29 days
!
29 days , I had tracking info on it as well , it wasnt until I filed for a claim that it was shipped priority from customs. lol i can just see it now,

customs officer opening up package , going o0oo aahhhh , Ive got to play with this!
------------
James Foster
jamief@ktonix.com
http://www.ktonix.com