Custom Inlay Box

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
daddyloko

Custom Inlay Box

Post by daddyloko »

Here's a new box I had made for my 13" Picklocks. Made by Terry Hansen, a local Artesian. It's Walnut base and the top is inlayed with a virety of hardwoods. The pattern is called "Rising Star".
This fella has a piece of work in the Smithstonian, has made boxes for celebrities. He makes boxes in all sizes' plus he does lots of other wood working,specializes in inlays. He also has an item at this year's County Fair on exibit.
I had read about him in the local paper and went to a crafts fair to see his work. Found out he lives about five minutes up the road.
The woods used are: Bloodwood,Bocote,African Buninga,Canarywood,Gabon Ebony, Goncalvo Alves, Maple Rock, Pau Amarillo, Teak, American & Peruvian Walnut.
I had him make the knife cut outs deep and with the guard cut outs so the knives sit all the way down.
This box is his 32,554th creation.
Fellas, sorry I can't post the pics the normal way I use to.:cry: Still scratching my head on that problem. These url images just don't do it justice. :evil:
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

VERY nice....

You have a PM

Best wishes
Teddy
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Pretty cool abe.
Cheers
RB1
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Beautiful Abe - what a great piece.
I like the fact it stands up too, a different way to display some choice knives, what kind of knife is destined for the center cut out, it varies from the other slots.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Abe
Now thats a box to go generation to generation. It is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen. Can you post a pic with the 13"s in it?
PB
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Thanks for the compliments folks. Here it is loaded up. The last bay near the lid isn't a Picklock ( I didn't want the box to look "empty" ). Either an other Campolin or Burn will eventually fill that spot.
Teddy followed your instructions. Thanks.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Abe
Very impessive. I wondered what the plain opening was for now I know it's one of Pauls.Tell me what is the first right with the blue bottom bolster you said it's not a pick but it is different.
PB
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Pushbutton, the one with the blue bottom is a Frank Recupero creation. Blue Lapiz inlay front & back with a MOP button.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

nice BOX 8) - a great way to present some fine cutlery 8)

i may have to break down and get a display case...my matress is getting pretty lumpy :lol:
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

You are da mang! Thanks Abe.
moe

Post by moe »

Abe,

That's really a beautiful piece. Wish I had talent like that. Also wish I had your knives. :lol:

Moe
What!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

my body's achin' and my time is at hand
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Abe,

Very nice indeed. Maybe we can get that guy to refinish Wally's cardboard casket.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Oh sure. This from a guy who serves his famous personality house guests hot Zoomie tea with salt in it for breakfast.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Corpse,

If'n I recall, you tried to sweeten it up with repeated teaspoons of salt. A sure fire way to just forget about traditional breakfast tea and go straight for the Coors, eh!

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
MegaDave

Post by MegaDave »

wow! that is a nice box...I wonder how long it takes to make it? cool idea...nice knifes too..LOL