I lost a bet... but i'm happy

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

I lost a bet... but i'm happy

Post by missaman »

I made a bet with the eldest daughter that if she got an A in math I would buy her an elect. guitar.
I know there are quite a few members that play here on the forum.
What would be a good entry level guitar for her?
Is there any real difference between the entry level guitars in the way of quality?
I don't want to spend a small fortune on something she may loose intrest in after a short while.
Thanks Missaman
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Missaman,

The best way to solve that problem is to take her to a music shop and let her see (and handle) some options. She probably has a fair idea of what's out there anyway if she wants one. Perhaps set an upper price limit.

The "Squire" Strats are very popular over here as an entry-level guitar but they may not be to her taste.

Good luck
Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

missaman,

I don't actually play, but have received good advice from many who do (some from our forum) regarding my son. Many recommend the Gibson Epiphone as an economical but decent quality electric guitar. If she also needs an amp, there is a package called a "Gig Rig" which includes the guitar, a small amp, a guitar case, and a few other small items. I think I paid about $200 for my son's gig rig about 3 years ago.

Jim
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Missaman,

I hereby volunteer Wally's SG, and amp.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Missaman-

A 'Squire' Stratocaster is a good starter; my daughter, (just turned 15), finds it's size and shape comfortable, with a manageable neck width. Check out Guitar Center. A small Crate 10 amp is modestly priced AS well. The most critical component to the joys of electric guitar, and a mandatory purchase is, of course, the digital delay-echo effects box. With cords, strap, strings, amp, guitar, case, and echo, you can figure to break out 4 Bens from the vault.

Be careful about buying non-name combo cheapo package deals, AS often times the action on the guitar's neck is such that the strings are too high offa the fretboard, and a rookie will lose interest quickly from those grooves ground into the fingertips.

I hear Wal-Mart has a model called the 'Fish'.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Wally,

You wrote "the action on the guitar's neck is such that the strings are too high offa the fretboard, and a rookie will lose interest quickly from those grooves ground into the fingertips.". That is exactly what happened to me at age 12 when I bought a cheap steel srting acoustic guitar and the "Alfreds" instruction book.

Jim
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

missaman,

I got my daughter an electric guitar about 10 years ago when she was 15. Traded a nice trombone straight up for it at a music shop. It's an Ibanez solid body (shaped like a Strat) with 3 pickups. It came with a very nice fitted Ibanez hard case and a 10 W practice amp. The price for the set-up was $250, but, as I said, that was 10 years ago. The good news is that she still plays it off and on. What she likes most about it is that it is deep purple. My older son got her a digital effects box second hand at a pawn shop for $50 to go with it. It sounds very nice.

The action on the guitar is very good without the string-to-fretboard problem that Wally brought up. There has never been a problem with any of the goods. I don't know if the Ibanez brand is still around, but this is a nice guitar for not much $$$.

Greyblade
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Having played and even smashed a few a' la Pete Townsend, the Squires are hard to beat (pun). How about a Telecaster?

If you check out Musicians Friend on the internet, I'll bet you'll find something that both she and your checkbook will like. Just let her decide, musicians are quirky.

Alfreds' books almost stopped my musical career before it began, let her learn from her friends.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

Missa,

Try an Epiphone or a Squire. Very good instruments for the price. The key to picking a guitar is the feel. Two identical guitars, can feel totally diferent. This is true for the higher priced models as well. Just go to guitar center and let your daughter play every guitar (within your price range) and let her pick the one that feels right. As far as the budget kits they sell, I don't like 'em. The accesories (strap, cord, case) are cheapest of the cheap and will need to be replaced soon anyways. Besides, when you buy the guitar from guitar center, the salesman will through that stuff in if you make a deal with him. Also, don't buy the cheapest amp you can find. (Like the ones in the kits) Always had problems with the volume pots going out, making the amps crackle. Hope this helps.

M.P.E.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Mypetelvis made a good point, and if I can elaborate...

A guitar player should make it his/her business to become a good guitar setter-upper. Adjusting the neck truss rod, string height, pickups, intonation, etc. are important skills, and easy to learn. It makes all the difference. A lot of inexpensive guitars get a bad rep because they don't have the time, skill, or the inclination at the factory to do this properly. And setup is an individual preference kind of thing. I never knew a good guitarist who wasn't interested in how to adjust and tweak an instrument to perfection. A guitar is almost alive, the way its wood and metal interact.

If you have an amp, you should have a can of contact cleaner, in my opinion.

OK, I'm not really writing this, merely channeling the ghost of Dave Pasternack.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
missaman

Post by missaman »

Thanks for the info. I will take her to the guitar store this weekend and let her handle a few and see what she likes and go from there...
Maybe ask a few more questions
Missaman
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Missaman,

What would likely be very helpful would be to have a friend who plays and who knows guitars accompany you and your daughter to the store. This worked very well for me. He even managed to get us a discount.

Jim
missaman

Post by missaman »

Thanks Jim great idea :idea: :D