Those Hardy (or crazy?) Canadians

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Those Hardy (or crazy?) Canadians

Post by jim d, »

I just returned from a brief trip that was a last minute decision to go to Myrtle Beach for a few days with some friends. For quite a few years, March has been Canadian month in Myrtle Beach, with many of the hotels and restaurants flying the Canadian flag under the US flag, and alongside the S.C. flag. The scene was true to form, with Canadian license plates everywhere.

I had heard stories that the Canadians actually swim in the ocean in March, but assumed that they were exaggerations. Much to my amazement, I learned that it is the absolute truth. Beach (and hot tub and heated pool) weather was perfect, but voluntarily immersing myself into the ocean was incomprehensible. I walked down to the ocean, entered the water ankle deep, and my feet immediately turned blue. According to the news, the water temperature was 52 degrees F.! However, the surf was full of Canadian visitors just having a great time and being totally oblivious to the fact that they should be frozen stiff. How do they do it?

Jim
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Jim,

You neglected to mention that the Canadians taking a dip in the Atlantic all had bristly mustaches, two tusks, short arms with flattened hands, legs that appeared to be bound to the ankles, all wearing flippers, covered with hair, were overweight, and could only grunt (in English and French). The question is how could they drive south given that physiognomy.

Greyblade

P.S. - Did you see J-man there?
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Jim D,

The west coast Canucks only come to CA to load up on the outstanding weed which is grown in abundance. I never see them get their feet wet.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

My only answer involves the Canadian Whiskey. :lol:
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Diggaway

Post by Diggaway »

Hi jim and greyblade
As a certified Canadian herringchoker I must say that I resemble those remarks!But I may be able to explain,if not justify the phenomena.
Imagine driving ten hours at 75 or 80,then trying to hold at 30 for the last mile or so.That 30 then feels slower than walking.Now,it was about 0*F here this morning and if I were to step into summer this afternoon I can guarantee a temporary(?)loss of sanity.At 52*F the water is warmer than at the Bay of Fundy beaches in mid friggin summer(tough eh?but we don't have to tell anyone that I won't go past my ankles in it),and I wouldn't go all that way without taking at least one dip.
Greyblade your description is essentially correct,but you missed the beerbelly rule--the bigger the belly the smaller the Speedo.Again,I'll explain.You see the French word for walrus is "morse".The French word for seal is "phoque"and yes,you do know how to pronounce it."Phoque"is the expression used when a "re-Morse-ful"Canuck finally realizes that the water isn't really as warm as he dreamed all winter it would be. :)
Sempere ubi sub ubi
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The only thing worse than salt water is COLD salt water :wink:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Jim I have heard that story also. One day I was drinking and playing Gin with a bar owner and he let me in on the secret of why the Canucks swim in the freezing water.Late the night before the local bartenders and bouncers go down to the shore with fists full of pennys and nichols couple of hundred of each and throw them as far as they can into the surf. By morning word has gotten out about all that money and those Canucks fly to the beach and start scrounging. It is really pathetic to watch but the cries of "Hey Hoser another nichol" or "Look hoser I have 4 pennys I'll trade for a nichol" They just have the greatest time romping around picking up pennies. And that is the legend of the swimming Canucks.
PB
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Diggaway,

Only a morse-phoquer would go for full immersion in 52 degree water.

Greyblade
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Pushbutton wrote:Jim I have heard that story also. One day I was drinking and playing Gin with a bar owner and he let me in on the secret of why the Canucks swim in the freezing water.Late the night before the local bartenders and bouncers go down to the shore with fists full of pennys and nichols couple of hundred of each and throw them as far as they can into the surf. By morning word has gotten out about all that money and those Canucks fly to the beach and start scrounging. It is really pathetic to watch but the cries of "Hey Hoser another nichol" or "Look hoser I have 4 pennys I'll trade for a nichol" They just have the greatest time romping around picking up pennies. And that is the legend of the swimming Canucks.
PB
Well I for one am a major pussy when it comes to the cold. I won't crawl in water that cold for anything less than loonies (our dollar coins). Water that cold makes parts of me appear even smaller than they are. :wink:
floater

Post by floater »

The only Canadian folks I know are on this forum, and I've been waiting for a week to get back from the Orlando / Cocoa Beach area so I could ask you guys of the Ontarioan persuasion about the apparent invasion of Florida.... and then to find this thread :shock: . Of all the vehicles not of Florida registry, at least 50%-60% were from Ontario. I think at least part of my question has been answered in the previous posts...... any other reason(s) besides warm air and cold salt water so many of our Canuck cousins travel so far south & is it mainly at this time of year or all year 'round?

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Floater mostly during harvesting time.
PB
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

South Florida is heaven to the snowbirds hey! I was told by more than one winter migrant that it is cheaper for them to move to florida for 4 months and live on the beach than it is to stay in canada and pay the heating bill for the cold spell hey!
simple economics. killer weed, and no tipping.
There is a bumper sticker in Florida that says" happiness is a New Yorker going home with a Canadien under each arm!
Jagman
ps. what does " je mai souvoire" (sp) on the liscence plate mean?
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
floater

Post by floater »

Pushbutton wrote:Floater mostly during harvesting time.
PB
:lol: LOL :lol:
I'm sure a little R&R is certainly in order after a long and laborious harvest!
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
Diggaway

Post by Diggaway »

Jagman;the"Je Me Souviens" on the Quebec plates means "I Remember" and is political bullshit from when the separatists were in power,as in "live french or surrender",or "me first".Cripes,they still can't get over that whole Plains of Abraham thing.It is said that you're not a true Quebecois unless you have been to Florida 8)
The plate used to read"La Belle Province"(the beautiful province}but rumour was that Fla wanted it :lol:
Regards,
morse-phoquer
Sempere ubi sub ubi
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Floater,

The March in Myrtle Beach thing for Canadians has been going on for decades. About 15 years ago, the folks at Myrtle Beach sort of made it official. As I mentioned, resorts and restaurants began to fly the Canadian flag under the US flag, and "Welcome Canadians" signs appeared. This was a good thing for the area for more than one reason.

Obviously, the local merchants wanted to increase off-season business. Additionally, the Canadians typically gave their business to the local merchants and not to the local police. Such is not the case with all visitors to the area. Although many normal folks visit the area, Myrtle Beach does have a clientile problem at times. Normally, I avoid the area. This time, my friends picked the place and I went along.

Jim