Firestorm

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Firestorm

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Legion Of Fan-

Today marks the 32nd anniversary of the Oakland Hills Firestorm. I recall the tv news coverage AS it transpired. The hills were ablaze, and the rogue flames lept from one house to it's neighbors in the rage of combustion.
Fire Department forensic investigation later indicated that the source of ignition was from some 'roofers' using an open flame torch to melt/seam of EPDM rubber roofing that went awry. EPDM, a roofing system of sheet rubber, gained a lot of popularity due to the fact that installation didn't require much equipment, and the EPDM rolls could come in large square footage area options, a few semi-steins could kick and steer rolls in sometimes proper lap alignment exposures, then solvent or heat or torch weld head and side laps. Any membrane single ply configuration is susceptible and prone to "billowing" if the 'Bertoli' effect arises, wherein the surface is affected by wind direction and speed, causing the sheets to bubble up and wave at astounded site owner...
Of course, the culpable miscreants were the first to flee the scene. The topography of somewhat steep, windy roads further complicated the FD efforts.
Such is a rather practically noticeable drawback to-" torch on " roofing materials..
Inn the aftermath, whence re-building was underway, I knew several GC buddies that said they were routinely underbid by out of state fly bys. I saw a lot of trucks from Utah- the 'Beehive' state, making money, not honey by cheating for profit, but if polygamy is your state hobby, lusty greed is a worthwhile journey.
Out of all the buildings decimated, for new roofing jobs, eye got level true zero-none...
It just shows to go ya', if it ain't something, it's something else...
Announcing a pre-admonishment to any within these hollowed halls, to wit: if'n ye' have any roofing related personal or family concerns, please ask WJC or Doofus Emeritus for almost free consultations...

AS ever,
Your ol' pal'
Wally J. Corpse
worlds oldest roofer

Re: Firestorm

Post by worlds oldest roofer »

Hey Wally-worlds oldest roofer here;been afew years since I was here but I have one for you.it was 3or4 decades ago doing a small 5or6 sq.torch down that went up under the pitched roof, This was for a wealthy client who invented cryovac sealing for bacon and other things.Walter Payton lived across the street if that helps.well you know how that works on the last roll going up the pitch, roll it in place,tack the top and lift the bottom torching as you go. Well a little smoke is expected but now the sirens and fire trucks pull up and I’m shiten my britches as they’re lookin at me sideways understandably.well it turns out there are 2cupolas with glass windows and sensors that call them in case of emergency and the Flies inside stir up dust enough to trigger them as they been there before.another disaster averted! All the Best Cary
Harrys

Re: Firestorm

Post by Harrys »

Hello,

Memories of those rogue flames spreading across the hills remain vivid in the minds of many witnesses. The way the steep, windy topography complicated the firefighters' efforts is almost cinematic, evoking scenes of battling the elements in an action movie.
The sound advice you give at the end, on the need to consult the experts in the event of roofing-related problems, adds a note of wisdom to this story. After all, in the world of construction, caution is often the key to avoiding disasters similar to the one you're talking about.