Joe Kittinger R.I.P.

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jerryk25

Joe Kittinger R.I.P.

Post by jerryk25 »

Rest in Peace Joe Kittinger . . . . .

In the 1930's a French physicist named Picard, rode a balloon and gondola named the "Stargazer"
up into the stratosphere. Anyone who knows Star Trek knows the name of the Next Gen Captain
and the name of his first command. The real Picard's Stargazer is at the Dayton Ohio Museum
at Wright Patterson Air Field. . . .I saw and touched it twice. . .
Once at the museum . . .and in a National Geographic Magazine there was a 2 inch square of
the balloon canopy in the issue. . . I gave my issue to a balloon pilot friend, when I was older.

In 1960 Joe Kittinger rode a balloon up to the top of the sky and jumped into history.
It made the cover of LIFE Magazine . . . . .
I found out about it in MAD MAGAZINE, in a fiction joke satire, about photographers.

In 1966 Nick Piantanida tried again, but his suit depressurized, and the ground crew
radio cut the gondola from the balloon remotely, and the whole cockpit parachuted down.
Nick passed some days later. . . .Demonstrating the danger.
That's when I first realized the difference between science fiction and reality.
Until then, I thought they were "just" paratroopers. . . .

In 2012 Felix Baumgartner broke the records . . . in a well tested suit, and fancy gondola.
but he had balls of stainless steel none the less. . . .Felix passed away years later.

Joe did it before Mercury 7 astronauts developed super suits.
Joe's balls were stainless steel , , , with gold inlay.

I can only imagine what it is to be that far up in an open cockpit.
Attachments
lice-photographer4.jpg
lice-photographer4.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
lice-photographer1.jpg
lice-photographer1.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
lice-photographer3.jpg
lice-photographer3.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
john

Re: Joe Kittinger R.I.P.

Post by john »

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for this interesting post.