Remembering Al

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Remembering Al

Post by Tom19176 »

Today I went to the Flea Market in Hollis NH. That is where Al use to sell knives at the "Flea". I spoke to two knife dealers who remembered Al. One spoke highly of him. I bought two knives as a way of having some thing from the place Al use to love. Nothing special, but they will be to me....
Tom19176

Re: Remembering Al

Post by Tom19176 »

AlSweeney.jpg
AlSweeney.jpg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
Al at the Hollis Flea Market.......
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thank you for posting this, Tom. Back in 2000 when I found the predecessor to this forum Al was one of the folks that patiently furthered my switchblade education. He also was one who pushed my interest (along with Bill D.) toward leverlocks. Originally I thought leverlocks were ugly and clunky, how times change. I have a few I obtained from Al, one is an Italian with the coveted "Vagrant Knives" blade etch. Al was always willing to take the time to welcome newcomers and answer questions.

Al was known to give us all a hearty chuckle. My favorite occurred when we were having an offline discussion about fishing. Al had his beloved brook, I'm a saltwater guy. Al wrote: "none of the salty stuff for me, when I go fishing I want to be certain that I will be the only great white involved in the activities"

Another time I posted a photo of two French switchblades I had just acquired. I titled the thread "A nice pair from France". Al's response was to post a photo of Brigette Bardot.

Regarding French switchblades, I have a David G., that Al randomly sent to me as a gift.

One regret that I have is a weather related cancellation of my plan to crash the Hollis Flea and show up as a random customer, then introduce myself to Al. I was in northern Mass. for work, not far from the N.H. border and went so far as changing my flights home. But then the forecast changed quickly for a bad Nor'easter and I figured the Flea would be cancelled so I went back to my original schedule.

Jim
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

glad you went up to Hollis N.H. Tommy, I to miss Al.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Great story Jim.....I sent Al a box of fishing lures and reels as a gift. He loved a green colored reel I gave him. I remember him saying it was like Christmas in July when he got the package I sent as a gift....Sometimes the small things really make the difference....
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Al was a plethora of knowledge and could provide answers to about anything. He's certainly missed!
2024 candidate for president
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I saw a post on FB this week that the Hollis NH flea market was no longer going to open this upcoming season as they could no longer cover expenses to run the market...Glad I made a visit to it when I did...RIP Al....
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

From my collection, an Italian leverlock with Al's etch. The number was his zip code.

Jim
IMG_0396.jpeg
IMG_0396.jpeg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks for the picture Jim....