33 Years A-Quaking!

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

33 Years A-Quaking!

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Legion Of Fan-

On this date, 33 years ago, a somewhat rather noticeable earthquake seismic event occurred to the tune of a 6.9 Richter scale in the SF sorta epicenter.
It was a late afternoon shake, and at the time, the MLB World Series was underway, Oakland A's vs. SF Giants at Candlestick Park.
There I Was-
I was driving mine large roofing truck with kettle down 3rd Street, SF, the Stick was visible, and I initially felt a wee bit of a rumble underneath, I thought it was the effect of my dump truck full of roofing tear off souvenirs coming up alongside, until, AS an expert with the obvious, eye saw the pavement undulate in an asphaltic ripple, the telephone poles a waving at the staggering criminals below.
When I got to my roofing shop, materials and gear had been thrown about, but the Hunter's Point warehouse was built like a stoned fortress.
I was concerned about the status of my current roofing project site, so I went across town to the Inner Sunset, no traffic or street lights functioning, and a dazed populace wandering about.
At the site, all my stuff was okay, and I helped the tenant, an older couple with a flooring store, escape from their fallen rugs and linoleum rolls.
AS I crossed the Golden Gate, I could see the Marina a blaze.
Whence I arrived, much later, at home, mine her was actually glad to see me.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse

P.S. Anyone have their quake tales to spin?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: 33 Years A-Quaking!

Post by natcherly »

That was a day to remember. Wifey was outside sweeping the sidewalk when it hit. She immediately noticed the undulating pavement and waving telephone poles. She pointed out these manifestations to some panicked drivers passing-by. These things I did not see as I was inside comforting a semi-hysterical 8-year-old and manually propping up pieces of tall furniture that were on the move. Upstairs on the second floor the quake had sloshed most of the water out of the toilet bowls! Fortunately, we were not in a drought at that time, so they were fully flushed.

We sustained a fair amount of damage including cracked plaster, brick chimney failures and a blocked sewer. No one was hurt.

FEMA was helpful but charged us 8% interest on our loan from them. Still rankles to this day...
Wally J. Corpse

Mr. Natcherly-

Whence eye arrived in Fornicalia's premier city of SF, circa 1977, there was a public concern about wasting of water via excessive toilet use of flapper valve flushage.
There was also a public motto/credence, a snappy little, easy to chortle, rhyme/limerick that colorfully designated the hues authorized for toilet handle decree.
Do you remember the lyrics?

AS ever,
your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
john

Post by john »

natcherly wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:21 pm

FEMA was helpful but charged us 8% interest on our loan from them. Still rankles to this day...
I’m glad no one was hurt. 8% should have been 0%. Stuff like that pisses me off.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Wally J. Corpse wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:43 pm Mr. Natcherly-

Whence eye arrived in Fornicalia's premier city of SF, circa 1977, there was a public concern about wasting of water via excessive toilet use of flapper valve flushage.
There was also a public motto/credence, a snappy little, easy to chortle, rhyme/limerick that colorfully designated the hues authorized for toilet handle decree.
Do you remember the lyrics?

AS ever,
your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
Yes, I do remember, unfortunately. This motto was commercially available in framed calligraphy, colorful posters and even ceramic plaques ...

If it's Yellow,
Let it mellow.
If it's Brown,
Flush it down!
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

that saying was on a old friends cabin in Maine, thanks for the flashback.
Wally J. Corpse

Greetings, Legion Of Fan-

Another WJC quake episode:
There I Was- the day after, I went into SF to check on a recently done roofing project on Beach Street, in the Marina area. Traffic light, some still dazed folks wandering about, and the weight of disaster hung in the air.
At my job site, there were multiple gaping cracks in the pavement, sidewalk and ground. A startling spiderweb of fissures ran up the front of the 3 story stucco clad building to the roof .
My new 4 ply fiberglass 'tar and gravel' roof survived intact, there was some seismic displacement of gravel, but the resiliency of the BUR system allowed it to flex and ride the waves without tear, rupture or splits. Mr. Doofus Emeritus and any hot roofers lurking herein can appreciate that detail...
The owner was visibly distraught, and stated that he had financed renovations with a loan and didnaye opt for 'Natural Disasters Earthquake insurance coverage.
Just goes to show ya, there you are, enjoying the World Series when the planet gives you a quaking wake up call.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Wally J. Corpse wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:06 pm There I Was- the day after, I went into SF to check on a recently done roofing project on Beach Street, in the Marina area. Traffic light, some still dazed folks wandering about, and the weight of disaster hung in the air.
At my job site, there were multiple gaping cracks in the pavement, sidewalk and ground. A startling spiderweb of fissures ran up the front of the 3 story stucco clad building to the roof .
My new 4 ply fiberglass 'tar and gravel' roof survived intact, there was some seismic displacement of gravel, but the resiliency of the BUR system allowed it to flex and ride the waves without tear, rupture or splits. Mr. Doofus Emeritus and any hot roofers lurking herein can appreciate that detail...
Mr. Corpse,

For the non roofer types, I will explain the BUR concept: A monolithic system comprised of layers of rolled roofing adhered with a hot asphalt built-up to a certain specification, hence, built-up roofing or BUR for short. The gravel helps act as a ballast as well as a UV protectant. Durable, and designed for foot traffic to help protect the underlaying layers from the idontgiveashit crowd. Mainly HVAC mechanics and their tools.

I very well recall that particular shaker while I was sitting in my easy chair with a Coors in my left hand, right arm and leg in a cast from a 2 story plunge (I forgot my parachute) into a fence and sidewalk. Tuned into the Bay Bridge world series, when I heard Al Michaels utter earthqua----, and the screen went blank. Those poor souls on the Cypress Structure in Oakland didn't fare so well. As many times I traveled that stretch, I hated the thought of all that traffic overhead. When it came down, I was not surprised. The rest, is history.

Best regards,

Bonz

PS- It is by Gods grace, I survived that fall.
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
muyter

Post by muyter »

natcherly wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:21 pm That was a day to remember. Wifey was outside sweeping the sidewalk when it hit. She immediately noticed the undulating pavement and waving telephone poles. She pointed out these manifestations to some panicked drivers passing-by. These things I did not see as I was inside comforting a semi-hysterical 8-year-old and manually propping up pieces of tall furniture that were on the move. Upstairs on the second floor the quake had sloshed most of the water out of the toilet bowls! Fortunately, we were not in a drought at that time, so they were fully flushed.

We sustained a fair amount of damage including cracked plaster, brick chimney failures and a blocked sewer. No one was hurt.

Hi,

That day will live in memory. When it struck, Wifey was outside sweeping the sidewalk. The swaying telephone poles and wavy pavement caught her attention right away. Some concerned drivers who were passing by were shown these manifestations by her. I was inside consoling an agitated 8-year-old and manually supporting tall pieces of moving furniture when I failed to see these things.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

I was wrapping up my day at the shop & had the game on when it hit, ill never forget it! . My glass racks were shaking and the windshields were walking outa the pegs, took a second to realize it was gonna be a whopper ! Then if really hit …grabbed the cash box and went outside, i never realized how much concrete could flex, there was a 6 foot wave coming down Freemont st., buildings were like rubber, swaying back and forth…. Super weird! I got on my bike and headed home to find the local gangs were looting my neighborhood, literally kicking in the doors, loaded my sawdoff with Buckshot and stood at my porch, ya’ll best keep stepping… didnt get much sleep that night here on the Monterey peninsula. We’ve had some big ones here in my life but not like that. I can appreciate a nicely done 4 ply built up roof ( with “grip”edge on the gable ends) as i have one …..and do remember to “ let it mellow”👍
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Remember seeing it on the news here in the uk ,but the stories written here show the chaos they really cause ,would sh#t meself,
An earthquake or tremor here causes a few pictures to slant .