Traveling in Europe...

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DocV

Traveling in Europe...

Post by DocV »

Leaving from Amsterdam today on a river cruise through Germany, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. Anything I should try and look for with regards to knife makers along the way? Thanks!
"A chance to cut is a chance to cure.....heal with cold steel."
jim d,

Re: Traveling in Europe...

Post by jim d, »

If by knives you mean switchblades, my experience has been that the best places are local antique shops and as you may suspect, they are very hit and miss. The only maker that I am aware of in Germany that is in operation today is Otter, not sure exactly where they are located or whether they give tours. Have a great trip and keep us updated.

Jim
DocV

Post by DocV »

jim d, wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:09 pm Have a great trip and keep us updated.
Jim
Thanks Jim. Will do.
john

Post by john »

Hi DocV,
While in Austria you should try to make to 3knives now known as the Knife Shop.
Are you going to Maniago, Italy?
KNIFESHOP
Bahnhofpl. 2/2a, 9500 Villach, Austria
+43.6601262147
(Mon-Fri: 08.30 - 14.00 CET)
info@knifeshop.com
Have a great time.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I have not been over the pond in some time, however have a good time, and if you can post a pic or two.
DocV

Post by DocV »

Tried posting pics, but having problems. Thanks for the advice. Haven't seen much in stores but some Opinels, Laguinols, and inexpensive Italian pushbuttons,. Nothing special, but the food, history, and architecture has been great!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Just wondering which spots had the Italian ones displayed for sale? Prices any good? Thanks
DocV

Post by DocV »

Tom19176 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:12 pm Just wondering which spots had the Italian ones displayed for sale? Prices any good? Thanks
A small shop in Koblenz near the river. Prices were about what you would pay in the US.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks Doc This is in Germany, so were they only short bladed model?
DocV

Post by DocV »

Tom19176 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:41 am Thanks Doc This is in Germany, so were they only short bladed model?
Correct. About 3".
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Brother says there is a Automobile Petrol shortage in Southern France.
Lines at Gas stations.
there is a minor commerce distribution Lag.
DocV

Post by DocV »

I don't doubt it...plus gas is roughly $8.00 USD per gallon currently.
SchwarzStock

Post by SchwarzStock »

I have not seen a springer in a business here in Germany for several years now. Gravity knives can be owned but should not be kept assembled. I put blades in mine for photos and then take them apart. Really not a problem since they are not using knives. One-handed knives are now not allowed for the general populace. This creates an interesting problem for the German armed forces. They now issue the Victorinox, it can be carried by a soldier on-duty but not off-duty. If a German cop decided to make a problem for a soldier going home who happened to forget to leave the knife at work the soldier would have no recourse. IN my experience if you get an older cop it won't be an issue but the new ones..... A couple of years ago I needed to go back to the US for a week or so. I decided to use a small hunting rucksack for a carry-on. Guess I didn't check thoroughly enough and the security guys at the airport found a Spyderco Resilience in the ruck. When the guy pulled it out I said "Schei+++". He replied "Ja, Schei+++. After a few minutes and older cop came over, asked my why I had the knife. Explained it was a mistake, failed to remove it from my ruck after hunting. He asked to see my hunting license. Showed him the license and then they tagged the knife and sent it to the lost and found for me to reclaim when I returned. Reclaiming it was a little bit of a circus but I got it back after paying a 15 Euro admin charge....

A friend of mine (shooter/hunter) is a Colonel with the KSK. He returned his Victorinox to supply and recently bought a Sandrin Dellatorre just to be sure he has no problems.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Interesting story SchwarzStock. Thanks. Is the Victorinox a gravity knife?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yes, wondering what Victorinox knife issued that they consider a dangerous scary knife. When I think Victorinox I picture a swiss army knife-about as scary as my toenail clippers, which are less scary than my toe nails...lol