I hope this isn't perceived as offensive.

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

I hope this isn't perceived as offensive.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

This may go against the "social grain" but, as a Christian, I do not celebrate Christmas. The reasoning behind this is as follows:

1. In the second century Pope Gregory moved the date of Christ's birth to eclipse those of Pagan Solstice celebrations. This makes the celebration patently Pagan in nature.

2. Christianity celebrated the birth of the Christ child once. (During the springtime when shepherds tended their flocks by night and the angelic host appeared to them). This is believed to have taken place in the early Spring (about the time Jesus was executed 34 years later).

3. Today's celebration is completely Pagan/Commercial in nature. The utterly Bacchanalian approach to the festival returns us to its Pagan roots. I personally refuse to adopt the "go along to get along" approach to the festivities. I'm not against enjoying myself or enjoy denying this to anyone else, but it is contrary to the Christian tenet of "separating oneself from world revelry". The Scriptures support this.

4. The "Christmas" celebrations frequently involve the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Alcoholism runs in my family, and I prefer to remain sober-minded and not engage in celebrations that involve intoxicants. (Trust me, I don't miss this at all). I feel uncomfortable around people that drink to excess.

I hope, and pray, everyone has a happy Thanksgiving and joyous season. A happy, blessed, and prosperous, New Year to everyone.

May God be with you and may His countenance shine down upon you and give you peace. :D
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Re: I hope this isn't perceived as offensive.

Post by sammy the blade »

Each to their own, I'm not offended. Christmas should be only for the little kids who still believe in all the BS they've been told about Santa. That's the way I feel about anyway.
2024 candidate for president
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Had a lot of contact with fishtail lately, i'm also a saved Christian. Don't necessarily totally agree with his "take" on Christmas itself, but do support his interpretation. I'm a fundamental Baptist and believe what He said is what He said and that's it. Read it , believe it, that's it, done deal. Thanks for speaking up Fish... of course, no offense taken. Tom
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. FTP,

Does this mean I don't have to buy anything for Wally for christmas? I was kinda eyeballing that stuffed Eel down at the taxidermist...

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
sammy the blade

Bonzo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:11 pm Mr. FTP,

Does this mean I don't have to buy anything for Wally for christmas? I was kinda eyeballing that stuffed Eel down at the taxidermist...

Best regards,

Bonz
Just send him some cookies.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Bonzo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:11 pm Mr. FTP,

Best regards,

Bonz
Whatever you do, don't leave out the "Beaver". :roll:
Fishtail Picklock
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

We celebrate Christmas Eve. with a multi-fish dinner and No presents.
Pre-Covid days, we had about 28 to 32 people. (Lithuanian / Slovak Roman Catholic and a few Jewish Relatives.)

Presents were outlawed so nobody gave the night before, ( covered dishes were Okay )
Visiting strangers did not have to sit through gift giving and not participate.
You just had to buy for your own family on Christmas Morning. ( next day ).

But I think for a second year now we will have a Covid Holiday. . . .
Just our house, and Video conference Zoom with about 5 homes.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

In reply to Fishtail Picklock.
This is not a contradictory "point of view". . .
It is simply a reflection of your salient points.

I don't think you and I see the word Pagan the same.
methinks. . .pagan. . .an early religion well enough established to have common practice rituals over a vast countryside.

also. . .which came first, chicken or egg. . . .
people have a party, celebrate good crop. . .becomes annual event. . .politicians and priest attend. . . .now it's a "Holy Event" , a Pagan Holiday. . . .new 2nd religion comes to town . . .hey, this cool dude was BORN on your "good crop party day", so we'll all just party together, since we're all here anyways.
Is the pre-pagan celebration spoiled by the 1st Pagan usurping of the party, or the 2nd Christian usurping of the party.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

1. In the second century Pope Gregory moved the date of Christ's birth to eclipse those of Pagan Solstice celebrations. This makes the celebration patently Pagan in nature.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Well, 12 years of sunday catholic school, everything is pagan in nature, the Jesus+Joseph+Mary is equivalent to the egyptian God Family Osiris+ blah, blah, blah. . . .what books did Constantine deem Apocryphal, and which are Canonical. . . .When Jesus was born, there was a 10 day week..a 10 month year. . . they added extra days in Janus's Month to make up for "leap Year". . . .Us Catholics know all about our Church turning any event into a holy day of obligation. . . Eve of Halloween, All Souls day, . . . . eve of Superbowl Sunday, celebration of the body day. . . geeeze. . . .Our Catholic Church was "Seen" at every public event. thus "Sanctifying it". . . .thus, Pagan was no longer pagan. . .10 commandments, Honor thy Mother and thy Father, and their culture, and their ways.. . .Everything old is new again. . .Bob Fosse Jazz Hands exit stage left.

2. Christianity celebrated the birth of the Christ child once. (During the springtime when shepherds tended their flocks by night and the angelic host appeared to them). This is believed to have taken place in the early Spring (about the time Jesus was executed 34 years later).
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Well, they rode into town for the census and to pay taxes. and he was born in a manger. . . . .so they know exactly which year and month. on some Hammurabic Calander. Nothing to do with the tenth Month (December) there was no Aprylle or Maye. . .wait, shifted 3 years because the "Wise men" would have seen earlier . . . .Don't sheep move to "high pastures" during spring. Sheep Drive. . . .The celebration of Mass in the Church is Flexible. Saturday Night mass instead of Sunday. . . .picking a random big Holiday for Christmas is Old News.

3. Today's celebration is completely Pagan/Commercial in nature. The utterly Bacchanalian approach to the festival returns us to its Pagan roots. I personally refuse to adopt the "go along to get along" approach to the festivities. I'm not against enjoying myself or enjoy denying this to anyone else, but it is contrary to the Christian tenet of "separating oneself from world revelry". The Scriptures support this.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ completely Pagan/Commercial in nature. . . . .you need to get to a different town. . .South of Pittsburgh we have tomato farms and horses, and a growing Latino community, Our Church has Spanish Mass. . .The Mexican Mass is so ritualistic it is scary.. . .Make a joyous noise unto the Lord. . . .We've got a lot of Baltic country ritual in our house, We're Lithuanian. Lithuania was one of the last countries to convert to Christianity back in the Dark Ages. Demons, Devils, Sea Snake spirit. Cert with her whip . . . they all show up at Christmas.

4. The "Christmas" celebrations frequently involve the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Alcoholism runs in my family, and I prefer to remain sober-minded and not engage in celebrations that involve intoxicants. (Trust me, I don't miss this at all). I feel uncomfortable around people that drink to excess.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Jesus was the first Christian. His Mom made him bring Wine to a wedding party.
We never kept any Liquor in the house at all most of my life. . . Mom and Dad did not drink.
Although I have drunk in my life, not for some time now due to medications. . . .
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Golly, your gift giving selection prowess never ceases to amaze me. Surely overshadows the meager presents eye have ASsembled for ye, the bag of holiday shaped sticky skin flakes and the box of feline rectal polyps harvested from the neighbor's slow flathead.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
sammy the blade

Wally J. Corpse wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:22 pm Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Golly, your gift giving selection prowess never ceases to amaze me. Surely overshadows the meager presents eye have ASsembled for ye, the bag of holiday shaped sticky skin flakes and the box of feline rectal polyps harvested from the neighbor's slow flathead.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
The gift that keeps on giving, if you can stand the smell.
john

Post by john »

Today is the Epiphany enjoy your little Christmas.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed