INTRUDER IN YOUR HOUSE 2:00 AM

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Doc Rocket

Re: INTRUDER IN YOUR HOUSE 2:00 AM

Post by Doc Rocket »

Buckshot wrote:Just curious, how some members would react. It's 2am, sleepin next to the old lady, you hear a noise, someone is definately IN YOUR HOUSE!
Buck
The dog would certainly pick up any strangers and "sound the alarm"
The wife might well go for the Colt .38 in the lock box by the bed (where else would you keep it?) She's done it before (another story).
There's a big mag light by my bed, a 12 gauge under it and knives in the drawers. I have lost a good friend in a robbery that went bad (even though he cooperated).

Yes I'm Canadian, yes you can buy guns here and yes I would have no trouble defending me and mine. The police cannot defend you they are the janitors that sponge up the mess later. I won't have janitors defend me.
Am I paranoid? I sleep well and don't look over my shoulder. I love my wife kids and property, in that order. I am reasonably intelligent and educated. Believe that we are accountable for our actions and live happily with my life choices.

But then I'm just a simple man.
I love my country...
It's the #*# goverment...
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Doc Rocket wrote:
Buckshot wrote:Just curious, how some members would react. It's 2am, sleepin next to the old lady, you hear a noise, someone is definately IN YOUR HOUSE!
Buck
The dog would certainly pick up any strangers and "sound the alarm"
The wife might well go for the Colt .38 in the lock box by the bed (where else would you keep it?) She's done it before (another story).
There's a big mag light by my bed, a 12 gauge under it and knives in the drawers. I have lost a good friend in a robbery that went bad (even though he cooperated).

Yes I'm Canadian, yes you can buy guns here and yes I would have no trouble defending me and mine. The police cannot defend you they are the janitors that sponge up the mess later. I won't have janitors defend me.
Am I paranoid? I sleep well and don't look over my shoulder. I love my wife kids and property, in that order. I am reasonably intelligent and educated. Believe that we are accountable for our actions and live happily with my life choices.

But then I'm just a simple man.
doc,i think you have answered the question better than anybody. i wonder what would happen if people started to sue the police dept for failing to protect them every time someone is robbed or killed or both, maybe the assholes, the liberal assholes that make some of these laws would wake up.
just another simple man,willing to protect what he's worked very hard for!
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
sakura

Post by sakura »

my first warning, I draw and cut. his hand can be reattached. if he persists, I divide him up until he stops.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

doc,i think you have answered the question better than anybody. i wonder what would happen if people started to sue the police dept for failing to protect them every time someone is robbed or killed or both, maybe the assholes, the liberal assholes that make some of these laws would wake up.
just another simple man,willing to protect what he's worked very hard for!
teq[/quote]

It has been tried. The Supreme Court ruled against to women who sued the police after they were tortured and raped repeatedly and managed to make several calls. The police went to their house found the door locked and went away.
The court ruled the police have to protect people in general but NOT any Specific individuals. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Seems to me society is just a bunch of individuals but the court did NOT see it that way.
As long as the police do something now and then they don't have to respond to any specific call :roll:
My opinion if an assailant will not surrender, shoot him until you run out of ammo. THEN call the police and locate some "speedidri" :idea: The cops will remove the body but YOU have to clean up the mess. [That's also part of the law :!: ]
Stone Knife

Tidbits for thought...

Post by Stone Knife »

Missaman made me laugh with the grinder. "Hello, Ace wood-chipper rentals?" :lol:

Everybody makes their own choices and takes their own chances in an issue as complicated as this one. No one answer will cover all situations of course.
I know some of you have the kids thing and it's rightfully a major consideration with firearms within reach; If you're gonna be counting on using your firearm for D-fense, you might want to think about getting a touch-lock gun safe that can be opened in the dark in seconds, rather than having unloaded weapons... here's what I'm thinking: in my experience an unloaded gun is about worthless in the few seconds you have to react to this stuff. A person's lucky if you can get your hands on a loaded one in time, never mind finding the magazine, loading and racking in a round first. Time really flies in those moments. Think about how quickly you can cross your bedroom from the door to the bed if you hurry. Could you load faster than that?

Flashlights can be almost as much a liability as they are a boon, because they sure tell the other guy where to shoot.
We were trained to hold our flashlights out to the side a few feet, so the incoming rounds aimed at your flashlight would hopefully miss you. -'s why I keep mine separate from the weapons, besides, there sometimes isn't time to find and turn on that stuff.

In most cases, the interval between Oh sh!t and too late is less than 10 seconds. In the attempted burglary I described, the time between the window being opened and my Diamondback scaring the guy off was probably 5 seconds. FWIW, YMMV, and pass the ammo! :)
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr Stone Knife,
The grinder I had in mind is the type used for "Clearing and grubbing".
They are large enough to grind entire trees many at one time. I wonder if Jimmy Hoffa ended up in one :idea: :wink:
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I have a 6 cell Maglite that's the equivalent of a little league bat. With a swift downward swing you can make a bad guy's brains squirt out his ears. :shock:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I have the same thing, but gave up on trying to keep it lit w/ 6 Ds worth of batterys.
I like the stuff I read about the surefires, but I think you have to replace the whole head unit on them when the light burns out, which isnt a cheap replacement.
anybody know if thats right?
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The flashlight has gone from a problem to an important part of tactics.
The old hold it to the side method is no longer taught. The
"halo effect" to the sides provided a good silhouette for the perp to shoot at. Not many flashlights were hit [too bright to look at] but a fair number of cops were hit. Holding the gun and light togeather directly in front has worked better. With a multi-cell Maglight or any SureFire a subject cannot see anything but a blinding white light and attempts at "aiming" at it are a joke. The person holding the light can see perfectly, this disparity usually causes the subject to "throw in the towel" if he doesn't he's "easy pickings" [The truely stubborn are usually shot while they fire blindly with their heads turned to avoid the light]. Even if it had no tactical advantage it still prevents shooting the wife and/or kids by accident or mistaken identity.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Gents,

The latest copy of The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. monthly news, has an article about the CWP's issued in Butte County, Ca (about 1-1/2 hrs from me). The sheriff says they have issued around 2,000 permits in the last few years, but they don't know how many. The Butte county sheriffs dept doesn't keep track of the amonut of permits issued.

A spokeswoman for the sheriffs dept. said: "We really don't care how many there are, we have no limit on how many we issue each year"

To me, thats pretty damn cool.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
SwordOfDamocles

Post by SwordOfDamocles »

Mr. Bonzo-
To solve any concealed carry issues, simply move to Alaska. As of a few months ago there are now no, I repeat NO, restrictions on carrying concealed weapons. No permits, no permission, no nothing. It does concern me though that while I can carry a locked and loaded pistol in my pocket, I cannot carry a switchblade. SOD.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

SwordOfDamocles wrote:Mr. Bonzo-
To solve any concealed carry issues, simply move to Alaska. As of a few months ago there are now no, I repeat NO, restrictions on carrying concealed weapons. No permits, no permission, no nothing. It does concern me though that while I can carry a locked and loaded pistol in my pocket, I cannot carry a switchblade. SOD.
Vermont has had the same law for decades. The only negative is a Vermonter can not carry anywhere else since he has no permit for another state to recognise. However any law abibing citizen can carry in Vermont. The New Hampshire legislature is considering a similar law. It appears this idea may be catching on.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

SwordofDamocles, So in Alaska ( correct me if I'm wrong,being
a moron of the lower 48) you can carry a gun & a sack of weed?
or is the weed some type of misdemeanor.

Buck
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

SwordOfDamocles wrote: I repeat NO, restrictions on carrying concealed weapons. No permits, no permission, no nothing.
That'll happen in commie California when pigs fly! :?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
SwordOfDamocles

Post by SwordOfDamocles »

The weed part is a somewhat sticky situation. While our state law says that a small amount can be kept for personal use, the federal law states the exact opposite. And carrying weed and a firearm is not a good idea because you will get popped for carrying a gun while commiting a federal crime. I think that is the simplest I can describe my understanding of the at this point. Hopefully it will all be cleared up sometime in the near future, but I doubt it. SOD.