Old Singer sewing machine

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kwackster

Old Singer sewing machine

Post by kwackster »

Currently learning to work a bit with an old Singer VS3 hand sewing machine made in 1890.
When new a machine like this would cost you about a month's wages, but nowadays these can be bought for only a handful of euro's.
I paid 10 Euro for mine, and there are literally dozens more where this one came from for similar prices.

These high quality machines were made well before the era of planned obsolescence, and are basically indestructible.
The inner workings on this one were covered in a shiny brown veneer that once used to be whale oil, but once that was removed and replaced by a few drops of 5 weight Nano-Oil here and there the machine works almost like new again.
Also disassembled the wiggly wood parts to remove the remnants of the dried out bone glue, and then reglued everything with a good quality waterproof wood glue.
Very useful if you want to take the machine with you to use in places without power sockets.

The machine uses 15x1 size needles and easily stitches two parts of an old leather belt together (total leather thickness ~7,35 mm), so it just might work to make a simple leather knife sheath now and then (if i don't use overly thick leather)
Also does very well for jeans, t-shirts, bed linen, etc.

Also found this wonderful 1934 documentary about the manufacturing processes involved in making a Singer sewing machine at Clydebank, Glasgow, from its raw form of iron to the finished product packed and ready for export.
Sadly without sound, but well worth it (if you like these kind of things)

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1592

whippersnapper

Re: Old Singer sewing machine

Post by whippersnapper »

Very nice!
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

The gold decals look about perfect; those old machines can be pretty heavy.
How do I know?
The Missus is a seamstress for 40 years; thank the lord she's stopped collecting 'em.
She's pretty good at fixing the things too.

Nice resto Kwackster!
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

Thx guys, :-)

This is my second machine, a model 128 in a treadle, dating from 1925.
We found it standing on the pavement in front of the home of an older lady, who was going to a smaller apartment and wanted to get rid of it.
She still remembered her grandmother working with it back in the 1930's, but her mother and she had only kept it all these years for home decoration.
For 15 Euro we could take it with us :-)

Sadly a few rainy days and nights outside had damaged the wooden table and case somewhat, but the machine itself was still unharmed as it had been covered by the wooden case.
After i sanded the table i liked the wood grain so much (i think it may be red cedar) that i only treated it with several layers of a good quality mineral oil, and the drawers which normally hang under the table will get the same treatment.
The machine has been cleaned and oiled, it has been fitted with a new rubber wheel for it's bobbin winder, and a new leather belt that connects the treadle with the machine is on it's way. (E-Bay)
The treadle mechanism itself already ran smooth & silently on it's ball bearings, but i gave those a few drops of 5 weight Nano-Oil anyway.

Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Next one for you, Kwackster is a Singer Featherweight! :)
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i have a NEW HOME treadle machine i bought about 40-45 years ago that needs a new home. free and local pick-up.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

My Grandma was a seamtress. I think the sound of her treadling her Singer was one of the first sounds I remember...lol
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

My Wife (seamstress) tells me you have a 'walking foot' sewing machine there.

A walking foot is a mechanism for feeding the workpiece through a sewing machine as it is being stitched. It is most useful for sewing heavy materials where needle feed is mechanically inadequate, for spongy or cushioned materials where lifting the foot out of contact with the material helps in the feeding action,... wiki.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

my nana had one in her house.
frank2104

Post by frank2104 »

What a beautiful piece of history.my wife loves this machine. We had a tailor shop on my corner when i was a kid and all you heard was these humming all day.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Looks like walnut to me ... I have refinished dozens of these cabinets.