Have manual transmissions become an anti-theft device?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Have manual transmissions become an anti-theft device?

Post by jim d, »

Given the age of the car thieves whose photos I see on the news, and the fact that most (not all) in that age group don't know to drive a manual transmission, I wonder if the good old stick shift, straight drive, four on the floor, three on the tree, standard transmission, or whatever you call them have effectively become anti-theft devices?

Jim
sammy the blade

Re: Have manual transmissions become an anti-theft device?

Post by sammy the blade »

Probably for the younger thieves but it won't stop an old school jacker.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I only wish they still offered more vehicles with with a manual transmission. I really don't want some new fangled 10 speed trans that has "lifetime" fluid and costs 10 grand to fix.
sammy the blade

whippersnapper wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:29 pm I only wish they still offered more vehicles with with a manual transmission. I really don't want some new fangled 10 speed trans that has "lifetime" fluid and costs 10 grand to fix.
It would need to be 13 years old before I could afford one anyway. My 2006 Silverado is a 5 speed and I don't mind shifting it!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm surprised you found a 06 with a manual.

Don't feel bad, our vehicles are an 04 and a 96.
sammy the blade

whippersnapper wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:48 pm I'm surprised you found a 06 with a manual.

Don't feel bad, our vehicles are an 04 and a 96.
Probably ordered that way, you roll the windows up and down buy hand and no power seats or CD player but it's a 6 cyl. so the gas milage is good.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Jim D,

I wouldn’t doubt it. I saw a tv show awhile back where some gal was murdered for her car but the bad guy couldn’t drive a stick. It took me over a year to sell my BMW Z4 6 speed cause most buyers were looking for automatic. Back in the day, only people with money had automatic trannys. I learned 3 on the tree in my Dads 56 Ford PU. Now, some of the most exciting driving I have ever witnessed, was Wally grinding the gears at full speed in SF hills and never spilling his Coors...

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
sammy the blade

I learned to drive a stick shift in a 65 Rambler with 3 on the tree. I was a Sophomore in highschool listening to Grand Funk and Credence Clearwater Revival on 8 track. Those were some good times long gone now!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Had me a couple late sixties ford trucks with 3 on the tree. Also an old van. No power steering on those and wore out the steering knuckle on both of them. I will say I don't miss the manual steering.
sammy the blade

I don't miss it either but I'm not 18 years old anymore. I used to work for my dad and brother part time, I had a 3 till 11 factory job, they had an old dump truck without power anything. Steering by Armstrong, back then I thought running a jack hammer was fun.
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Ah yes, the joys of stick shifting in SF. Nothing AS mildly amusing than pulling a broilingly hot asphalt kettle in an 18ft. bed hot truck up and down steep hills, often times doing some free asphalt recoating to the pavement with the clutch slurp the hot effect, with free decorative spreckles to those a following too closely.
One memorable episode in the Roofing Tales Of Madness was thus-
We were doing a reroof of an apartment building that was on a short side street that intersected the section of Lombard Street, the crookedest street, etc. AS ever the diligent roofing contractor, eye had secured permits with the city to block and stop traffic above and below Lombard, so AS to be able to drive the hot truck with kettle and dump trucks to and fro. We drove up the wrong way from below with the hot truck/kettle, and there may have been some slight incidents of decorative adjoining plant's trimming side effects, no need to go into that now, however, some of the local residents formed a committee to impede our progress, which was routinely summarily ignored, rumor hazzit that one particularly hostile homeowner may have gotten a noticeable facial bruise from standing too close to the dump truck's moving side mirror. Some people are so sensitive, didja ever notice that?
There were also a flotilla of complaining tourists who sniveled about not being able to descend from above, like that could be a vacation moment of importance to the swarthy muscular no hable Einstein I stationed at the top with the official STOP sign. AS usual, the SFPD came out to quell the emerging little riot, and I won that round be producing the paid for permits, how do ya like me now?
After all the interference by others, we managed to complete the project, and the building owner en-gifted us with a case of Coors and Modelo.
AS a parting gift, we may have left a nice black stripe on those famous bricks upon exit.

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Wally, I just can't see you fitting in well in SF. Not sure they would even let me within a 1000 miles, not that I would want to.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Sir Wallace,

AS always, your post evoked a hearty chuckle. My wife and I were in San Fran about 6 years ago visiting my daughter who lived there at that time. We were near Coit Tower (I think?) and saw and walked Lombard St. It must have been a skillful display of driving and maneuvering to move a truck with an 18 ft bed along Lombard - I can't imagine!

Jim
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I live in San Francisco, hard to believe but I do and have for most of my life. My wife and I are native San Franciscans. The city we grew up in is miles away from the leftist cesspool it has become.

Driving here with a stick shift is an acquired art, especially when in a line of traffic stopped on a hill. You learn to do it without backing into the car behind and without having to replace the clutch every couple of months.

I love Wally's stories as I know the streets he prowled with his kettle, etc. His descriptions of the terrain are highly accurate which adds veracity and heightens the enjoyment. All I can say is that roofers seem to have a LOT of fun....
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

natcherly wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:05 am I live in San Francisco, hard to believe but I do and have for most of my life. My wife and I are native San Franciscans. The city we grew up in is miles away from the leftist cesspool it has become.

Mr. Natcherly,

The most beautiful city I have ever visited, and in reality, a small city cram packed with all kinds of stuff to do. Very fond memories of going there as a youngster whilst visiting my grandparents in Vallejo during the summers. Going to Giants games at the "Stick", and Playland. The last 2 times there, we caught the ferry from Larkspur to the back gate at the ballpark, then back after the game. No more staying in the city, no more tourist dollars in the coffers. No more looking at dirty filthy needle strewn streets and feces. And since the Giants are condoning the whole political charade, I've pretty much quit them as well. And the politburo wonders why people are fleeing. Good luck, and God bless.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson