Have a good one?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Have a good one?

Post by Bonzo »

Ladies, Fish, and Gentlemen,

Has anyone noticed lately that the new replacement phrase for a thank you is "have a good one"? More and more, especially from the younger victims of our dumbed down educational system, the gracious expression of gratitude, has been dumbed down even further to avoid a happy ending to a transaction. You would think the younger crowd would think about the effort it takes to pronounce the 2 extra syllables vs just uttering 2. Personally, I find it rather rude to conclude a personal transaction of any kind without a thank you and a your welcome. So, yesterday I slid through the drive-thru for an iced tea for my drive home, and as usual I got the "have a good one" from the pock mocked zitted out gal at the window. "A good one of what"? was my smiling reply. "Did you slip a booger in my tea or something" as I pulled off the lid, snickering. "oh, there's no booger in here, now I'm depressed, and that's not good cause I wanted a good one"! I could still hear her laughing as I pulled out to the street. Here in Oregon, gasoline is not self service, so there's a lot of younger folks making that good ol' minimum wage pumping gas. I have absolutely no problem with having some kid pumping gas in my truck for .70 cents less a gallon than 20 miles away in California where you have to pump it yourself, but its always the same have a good one after paying. Recently I found a station where some older guy is pumping the gas and I got a big fat "Thank You" after I paid him. "What did you say to me"? After repeating himself for the second time I replied with an earnest "your welcome" and was complimented with a "have a wonderful day"! Obviously this guy came from a generation where politeness and manners where taught. This guy will be fueling my vehicles from now on.

This concludes my little semi-rant of the day, and Thank You for stopping by.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
sammy the blade

Re: Have a good one?

Post by sammy the blade »

Have a good one! Now go tell Wally on me
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Being called "dude" is what bugs the heck out of me.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The "Have a good one" is an apparent evolution from an expression that began to be popular in the late 70's, "Have a great day". The emphasis on "great" really grated me. The shallow, insincerity made me want to puke.
Unfortunately, brother used in on his outgoing message tape with the result I hardly ever left a message as I hung up immediately when the OM started.

Sadly, my brother is no longer with us. I miss speaking with him but don't miss that OM.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

It's a mixed bag here in small town N.C. From the youth there is some of "have a good one" but there is also a lot of "thank you" and "your welcome" often followed by "sir" or "ma-am" My guess is that the politeness we still have will diminish as time progresses - it seems to be the trend.

Jim
sammy the blade

All the gas convenient stores around here are run by Indians, after you pay it's hab a good one. Only in America!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Around here it's "No problem", and "You got it", as a response to thank you. I don't object really, but it sounds kind of strange to me.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
sammy the blade

I'm strange anyway so I just roll with it. At least I can understand it. One time one of them asked me what an ass hole was but that's another story.