Viking Update

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Viking Update

Post by Viking45 »

In the past I have very bad about rambling and being "type-happy" so I will get to the point.

My mom's Alzheimer's was stage 4 over 4 years ago but seems to have stayed about the same with occasional moments of confusion, she is 86.
My dad took a fall a couple months back and fractured the ball in his right femur but recovered like a champ. However nurses that came to check on him told me it is common for folks his age to develop dementia after going under anesthesia.

I will spare the details but will say this- I have a whole new respect for care givers and families dealing with a person with these conditions.
Now I am dealing with two people requiring care 24/7 with no family or outside help....that is until recently.

The Iroquois Goddess sitting on my bike has agreed to be my wife. We wrote our own vows but are making it official real soon.
After well over 3 years she decided marriage is better than being stalked forever....she made a point to emphasize "Till death do us part".
By the way fellas she is an avid knife collector herself and is quite proficient with a blade. It looks like my days of pillaging and plundering are over and I couldn't be happier.

Just put a pair of 16inch meat hooks on the bike. The electric wires are run inside to give a clean look and I bought stainless braided brake/clutch/throttle cables, new grips, levers, master cylinders front and back, premium forward controls and 2 new German made Metzeler tires and tubes.
Notice the over-sized front brake rotor. Normal Harley Davidson rotors are 11.5 inches, this bad boy is 15" in diameter and gives 30% more shut down power.
ALL just in time for winter. 8)

Take care my brothers, thank you for being my friends. Always look twice out there, never know when a Norseman on a 2013 Super Glide with a 13" Frank B in his pocket might be behind you at a red light.
Karen (Baby) Elizabeth.jpg
Karen (Baby) Elizabeth.jpg (305.56 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Viking Update

Post by natcherly »

Congratulations, Dave! Glad to see you back.

As marriage approaches, you and your bride would be well served to make a plan of how to deal with your parents. My mom had Alzheimer's and my father was so overwhelmed he couldn't handle it after several months. He shut down. I found myself in a position similar to yours. From experience I can tell you that 24/7 care will debilitate both of you. There are organizations out there who can help you strategize, find alternate care givers, hook you up with support groups, etc.

Good luck and best wishes on your upcoming nuptials.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

good luck with the future wife. and best of luck with ya mom an dad. remember what natch said get help from the visiting nurses or who ever to get ya thru.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Bike and babe looking good! Good luck with your parents, you're doing good by them. Much respect for you!
2024 candidate for president
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Congratulations Dave,very pretty Lady,and like Tryker said get some help from the visiting nurses,all the best.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Congrats!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Hey Dave, I hope things get better for you with your folks. That is some tuff shit....

Congrats on the engagement....Hope things work, but my gut sez you should run away as fast as you can. Hope I'm wrong.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Two top brass nurses that have done the follow up home care have since released dad from home visits and have got me lined out on some extra care but dad don't like people in his house and I don't blame him.
My mom loves and trusts my lady and not one of the so-called "help" could get near mom and Karen bathes her twice a week, washes and does her hair real nice.
The "help" just went through the motions where Karen and mom actually laugh and do girl things to ease mom's confusion.
Mom was a dynamic woman in her day- President of five different bank branches over a 50 year span, been robbed three times, president on The American Business Women's Association, worked 45/50 hours,came home and cooked for 3 men while still in her work clothes.
She may not know what f-ing year it is but she still has her pride and dwindling dignity and not one so-called "help" could get near her.
She takes Karen by the hand, takes a bubble bath, puts on fresh clothes and Karen dolls-up her hair and seeing her smile and actually show a brief moment of clarity with a smile brings tears to my eyes.

I love my dad dearly but mom handled all business and finances so when mom fell ill I was unaware dad had no idea how to handle bills and such.
He racked up 7 grand on his credit card over a couple years and i contacted my good friend that is branch manager at my bank and he came over on his own time and helped us square shit away.
Pisses me off when when no family including my x Marine brother, his wife, his marine son and kids don't come around for 7 years and suddenly make a "phone call" wanting to know what's going on and asking for furniture.
I told them- "Hell yeah!' Come get the wore out sofa and china hutch! You can have it all! Assholes didn't give a shit for over a decade now mom and dad are at the end and they suddenly show "concern?".
When dad told them he sold his car and had 300 bucks in the bank they all hauled ass back home.
I love my family and despise animosity, jealousy, shit talk and straight up back stabbery but it shows true colors.
Not here for money or the f-ing recliner. There AIN'T NO MONEY. Screw the chair! I am here because they need me and I give a shit.

Not at all patting myself on the back but I will stand by my mom and dad till my heart stops.
Karen and I stopped our stupid shit and one day just looked at each other, laughed and said we are tired of it. What the f*** have we done?
Where did 3 years go?
We are both making decent money and 85% of my knife collection is gone but I bought her a nice car, fixed my bike up and never been happier in my life despite the circumstances.
For the last couple months Karen has done most of the chores like cooking, cleaning, caring for mom, laundry and grocery shopping while i work.
Then i take over three days while she works.

If I sound bitter, I really am not. Very hurt my only brother and his 10 family members want Grandma's antique salt and pepper shaker collection but don't bother asking how she is doing.

Terry- I AM a Viking and have warrior for a wife. I do not run. I stand and fight.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Dave glad to see things have come together for you. I am dealing with a Mom who is in similar state, and a sister who while is there is more interested in stealing Mom's money. What are you doing work wise? Glad to hear you're working as I recall the days that was an issue.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Tom19176 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:39 pm Dave glad to see things have come together for you. I am dealing with a Mom who is in similar state, and a sister who while is there is more interested in stealing Mom's money. What are you doing work wise? Glad to hear you're working as I recall the days that was an issue.
Hey Tom- I have several irons in the fire. To list a few I am working with a buddy that owns a tree service and been getting back to three of my hobbies, my art work, wood work and we are about to have our own website.
Our goal is to focus on biker-type events sell all our hand made wares such as vests, knife sheaths and even small furniture, pottery, t shirts, etc.
We make everything by hand and unlike anything we have seen out there.
Pretty excited about it.
sprink

Post by sprink »

Two beauties in the picture, best of luck to you .
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Sounds nice Dave! I hope it is very successful !
sammy the blade

Be sure to post your web site!
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

Dave
Just happy to hear things seem to be going better for you. Been a while it seems, so about time, right? And congratulations on your gal and your upcoming marriage! You will live longer and enjoy it more, too. :D
sammy the blade

I believe that's the last we've heard from Dave.