Spam

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

Spam

Post by sammy the blade »

What's up with all this spam posts latley? I don't see what they get out of it but it must be something.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Re: Spam

Post by whippersnapper »

Yeah, Natch and I are getting hammered. We could use some help since the other mods are too busy or just not worthy....Any volunteers to help delete and ban spammers...
sammy the blade

I would but I use my phone and I'm not to savy on the wonders of the world wide web. I used web tv and I don't think it even exist anymore.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Can you arrange it so that new member first posts go into a moderation area instead of straight to the forum?
I've been helping moderate a vbulletin forum for 20+ years and the only thing that we found that worked is the kind of setup I suggested.
You're running phbb software and I'm not familiar with that or if it can be done with phbb.
We have finally gotten to the point that prospective members must contact the forum via email, give a username they want to use and are then allowed to post.

It's a pain in the ass and requires a moderator to pass new member posts but it stumps the Bots.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I like this idea. Will pass it along to the Admin. At one time he was checking out all new members, but apparently not so now. Truth be told, spammers will usually only post once then are never heard from again. There are of course exceptions, but this is true for the vast majority. We ban them, but the damage is already done, horse has left the barn, etc. etc.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yeah, on the the sharperdeals forum we manually activate every new member. That's why it sometimes takes a few days to get in. Bangie and I usually use this website to check if the email, username, or ip addy has ever been reported as a spammer...
https://cleantalk.org/blacklists/77.81.110.225

So far it has worked well, It takes us some time but we have never had a spam attack like we have been getting here of late.

The main problem here is our administrator isn't very interested or involved anymore. Why he still keeps the lights on here, I wonder everyday, because it is costing him some Euros. I guess we can be thankful for that.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 pmThe main problem here is our administrator isn't very interested or involved anymore. Why he still keeps the lights on here, I wonder everyday, because it is costing him some Euros. I guess we can be thankful for that.
It's a great gift to have.
Yeah, it's really the membership that must keep it running efficiently.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:01 am Yeah, Natch and I are getting hammered. We could use some help since the other mods are too busy or just not worthy....Any volunteers to help delete and ban spammers...
What do I need to do?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't know if I'm worthy, but just deleted 4-5 spammers, and about 40 posts.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Bill, your more than worthy, thanks! I keep reporting them but they're relentless.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:19 pm Don't know if I'm worthy, but just deleted 4-5 spammers, and about 40 posts.
Well it's about damn time :P
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Interesting that there were a crapload put in this thread earlier; almost like it was a response.
I report these, but someone has usually beat me to it.

Can regular members do as Bill has done?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No, you have to be a moderator to delete.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Billyfish wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:15 pm Interesting that there were a crapload put in this thread earlier; almost like it was a response.
I report these, but someone has usually beat me to it.

Can regular members do as Bill has done?
Keep up the good work and thanks! You have to be a mod to delete them. There may be openings for mods.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I know I have been a slacker in this area recently and it is not because I don't care. It has been 50 - 60 hour workweeks. Hopefully that will change the end of August.

Jim