Legalization

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sprink

Legalization

Post by sprink »

I have been wondering what it takes to get switch blades legalized in a state , I'm sure this topic has come up before. Within the last year Michigan has legalized them and i live in Ohio about 20 minutes south of Michigan, it drives me crazy that a state so close to me has passed this law and mine hasn't. I'm sure it's a complicated process.
JulesVane

Re: Legalization

Post by JulesVane »

I'm a member of Kniferights.org and they sure are working hard at the process all the time. They send emails out on their progress constantly. If you're already a member there, I'm sure you can contact them in ways to help.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sprink

Post by sprink »

Thanks for the info, i currently am not a member but will look into it.
john

Post by john »

Kniferights.org Is the sole defender of the knife. A few years back I asked Doug Ritter of Kniferights what would it take to pass a law making switchblade knive legal in MA. I’m paraphrasing but he basically said we go after low hang fruit first. Then the more states we have on our side the easier it is to get states like MA to change their laws.
I’m my opinion MA will be the only state in the union that doesn’t legalize switchblade knives.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

New York and New Jersey? Probably not in my lifetime. Uphill battle all the way!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

JulesVane wrote:New York and New Jersey? Probably not in my lifetime. Uphill battle all the way!
Lawmakers there probably think "The West Side Story" is actual history and the events depicted continue to this day. :roll:
Not that my home state of CA is all that much better, but there is some degree of slack. Actually quite a lot..... :mrgreen:
kugr

Post by kugr »

Haven't small blade autos been legal in cali for a while?
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

kugr wrote:Haven't small blade autos been legal in cali for a while?
Yes, the CA Legal blade must measure less than 2". However, larger sizes can be purchased if you know were to look. Better bargains would be found on line....
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

SPRINK, you could start a letter writing campaign in your state.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

A.G.A. Campolin has come up with a new piece prototype sure to be legal in all the land:
https://www.instagram.com/agacampolin/p ... xyheb8v4s8

TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

now thats kool !!!

when i first saw it i thought it was mounted on a belt buckle.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Here's an email I received regarding Ohio on May 2nd, ....

Knife Rights' Ohio Knife Law Reform Bill Introduced

After a number of years working with our good friend Ohio State Senator Joe Uecker, SB 140 has been introduced that would reform Ohio knife law. SB 140 repeals Sec. 2923.20(A)(6), the state's ban on the manufacture and sale to civilians of switchblade knives, springblade knives and gravity knives, as well as brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag or any similar weapon

In addition, SB 140 creates an exception to Sec. 2923.12(1)(A), the state's vague catchall provision banning concealed carry of any "deadly weapon other than a handgun." It adds a new paragraph (H), "for purposes of this section, 'deadly weapon' or 'weapon' does not include any knife, razor, or cutting instrument if the instrument was not used as a weapon."

Senate co-sponsors are Senators Matt Huffman, Larry Obhof and Kristina Roegner. We sincerely appreciate the support we have received from our good friends at Buckeye Firearms Association in our efforts to get this bill introduced.

This bill addresses the often abusive and discriminatory application of the existing vague Ohio weapons law against knife carriers to make it clear that unless the knife/edged tool is actually used as a weapon, it cannot be considered carry of a "deadly weapon" or "weapon" under state law. The intent of the bill is to remove these widely carried and used inanimate tools from law enforcement purview and only the actual use of a knife/edged tool by one person against another would make it a "deadly weapon" under the law. The bill changes the law to be in agreement with commonly accepted practice.

Currently it's legal for an individual to own an automatic (switchblade) knife in Ohio, but irrationally, it's illegal to manufacture or sell that same knife in Ohio. This means potential consumers have to either go online or travel to another state to purchase these polular knives. Likewise, Ohio manufacturers, such as longtime Knife Rights supporter Rick Hinderer Knives, cannot manufacture these automatic knives in Ohio, shutting them out of a significant and growing market. Ohio loses jobs and revenue under current law and this bill is a commonsense solution to that absurdity.

Knife Rights will let you know as soon as it is appropriate to contact your Ohio lawmakers to support these bills.

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

sprink wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:39 pm I have been wondering what it takes to get switch blades legalized in a state , I'm sure this topic has come up before. Within the last year Michigan has legalized them and i live in Ohio about 20 minutes south of Michigan, it drives me crazy that a state so close to me has passed this law and mine hasn't. I'm sure it's a complicated process.
As the above states, it appears switchblades ARE legal to own in Ohio.

Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Luckily, it appears that in most cases the letter of a lot of state laws specifies a ban on carrying switchblades. This is where the loopholes start because the legal definition of carriage is sometimes less definitive than what constitutes a switchblade vs gravity knife vs spring assisted and so-on. Here in MA the actual ban is for carrying, not owning. What constitutes carry is basically the framework they use to define the carriage of a firearm. Locked in the trunk of your car (so long as the trunk is not part of the passenger cabin), locked in a box or glove compartment is apparently not carrying.

I imagine that switchblade laws will never actually get changed in most states, but rather fade away as blue laws as they're virtually impossible to enforce unless some type of violent crime is taking place. It's not like you need background checks to buy them nor do you need to register them the way you would with fire arms. On top of this they're fairly easy to build compared to fire arms. In fact I think this has been in motion for many years now. Latama is importing them to New York of all places and has been for nearly 2 decades. Obvious federal and state law violation in the very state that's infamous for starting the prohibition trend. Walt has said he's never had any real issues with seizure. Drawing attention to the legalization of something with such a negative connotation might even do more harm than good in some cases as my understanding is that most law enforcement agencies are not interested in knives at all.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:07 pm... as my understanding is that most law enforcement agencies are not interested in knives at all.
This is probably very true. They have bigger fish to fry. However, if a law prohibiting carry is on the books, it provides a way to nail someone when there isn't enough evidence to make other charges stick. There are lots of laws like that.