Legalization

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

Re: Legalization

Post by sammy the blade »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:07 pm Luckily, it appears that in most cases the letter of a lot of state laws specifies a ban on carrying switchblades. This is where the loopholes start because the legal definition of carriage is sometimes less definitive than what constitutes a switchblade vs gravity knife vs spring assisted and so-on. Here in MA the actual ban is for carrying, not owning. What constitutes carry is basically the framework they use to define the carriage of a firearm. Locked in the trunk of your car (so long as the trunk is not part of the passenger cabin), locked in a box or glove compartment is apparently not carrying.

I imagine that switchblade laws will never actually get changed in most states, but rather fade away as blue laws as they're virtually impossible to enforce unless some type of violent crime is taking place. It's not like you need background checks to buy them nor do you need to register them the way you would with fire arms. On top of this they're fairly easy to build compared to fire arms. In fact I think this has been in motion for many years now. Latama is importing them to New York of all places and has been for nearly 2 decades. Obvious federal and state law violation in the very state that's infamous for starting the prohibition trend. Walt has said he's never had any real issues with seizure. Drawing attention to the legalization of something with such a negative connotation might even do more harm than good in some cases as my understanding is that most law enforcement agencies are not interested in knives at all.
Laws have been changed in a lot of states. Legal in Indiana now but you still don't see many for sale in stores.
2024 candidate for president
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

sammy the blade wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:10 pm ...but you still don't see many for sale in stores.
because it's still a federal offence to import them perhaps, also normal individuals won't pay $60+ for a knife :P
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
sammy the blade

I've seen some Benchmade in a chain store but they don't sell very well. I agree it's the price, most people don't want to pay much for knives.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

SMKW is now selling Italian switchblades, and has sold the lightnings too....Interesting as the import laws at least are broken.....
sammy the blade

Laws, we don't need no stinkin laws!