Making an offer on a non offer auction?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

Making an offer on a non offer auction?

Post by kugr »

So... do any of y'all ever make an offer on a "bay" auction that doesn't have the make an offer option? Just something that popped into my head.
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
JulesVane

Re: Making an offer on a non offer auction?

Post by JulesVane »

When you choose the "contact seller" option, you'll see a popup window appear that states to make sure all transactions are done on that site. That way, the fees are paid. But, I'm sure you can discuss things with the seller and he/she may decide to change the auction to a make offer. An experienced seller will know that bidding is often a psychological game as we just saw with the Asian junk that soared sky high and would often rather take their chances finding a nut out there that refuses to be outbid, or, as Bill often says, has "more dollars than sense".

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I never have but I'm sure it happens all the time.

I have also heard of a few collectors that have "reported" auctions to get them pulled and then tried to turn around and buy the knife privately from the seller...Dirt bag tactic in my opinion but there are some who will do some under handed stuff to get a knife they want.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I’ve tried contacting sellers after auctions have been pulled but never had much luck... seems like most are scared by the eBay police.
charleshuber1983

Post by charleshuber1983 »

Portland mike that just happened to me..
charleshuber1983

Post by charleshuber1983 »

If you put your email in a post to a seller on ebay it wont let you send it but you can put it and spell all out like for example:
Thisguyatgmaildotcom it will send that way.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I’ve heard that also ..
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

whippersnapper wrote:I never have but I'm sure it happens all the time.

I have also heard of a few collectors that have "reported" auctions to get them pulled and then tried to turn around and buy the knife privately from the seller...Dirt bag tactic in my opinion but there are some who will do some under handed stuff to get a knife they want.
man,that is low.