guests

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

guests

Post by sammy the blade »

20 guests on switchblade knives, 8 on off topic and no new posts all day long. Come on people, register! We need some new blood so the forum doesn't dry up.
2024 candidate for president
thom

Re: guests

Post by thom »

Agreed, Kinda boring lately. Must be vacation time.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I suspect that some of the "guests" are actually members who for whatever reason choose to remain anonymous. There is that option.
sammy the blade

They must be the secret agents. Sure would hate to see this forum dry up.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

It dried up a long time ago.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

whippersnapper wrote:It dried up a long time ago.
I think it began in July of 2004 when we lost Pushbutton. Over the subsequent years, many of the characters that energized this forum drifted away or otherwise departed. This forum is not alone in experiencing this type of fall off. Other institution too face changing times and tastes. Look what happened to the major switch forum of its day, The Switchblade Forum. Its demise was sudden and dramatic. It only took a relatively few members to "revolt" and leave thereby dooming that site.

Let's face it, our hobby is a bit obscure. It does not attract hundreds of members who post actively. But we need to stay the course as a resource for the newcomers who find us via Google or whatever. And after all, aren't we the friendliest?
sammy the blade

We are probably the friendliest but not really much to choose from. May have to start knitting.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I joined in 2003, and it must have been a Talkblade golden age or something. It was Bob (Pushbutton) and Al who welcomed me; I had a few emails with Bob before I joined because I was a bit timid about joining a forum (my first) and spooked by the internet in general. I had one of those tiny keychain stilettos and was looking to replace its broken spring when I happened upon Talkblade.

Teddy, The Spotlight Kid, Mr. Big, Gort, Jerr, That Guy Moe, Claudster, Milu, Falcon, to name just a few. And there were really fun things going on such as The Imitation Horn knife, The Leverletto, and for me, the actual possibility of buying some of these cool knives via the internet. (We have never had a lot of places to get them in Syracuse NY.) There was a lot of knifemaking going on, and I caught the bug myself. My first real switchblade was a Beltrame I got from Tiny Sr., and I proceeded to modify it to the point of its being a highly polished turd. But I persisted, not in any small way due to the encouragement here, and ended up making some pretty slick knives, in addition to acquiring a metric ton of good commercially made knives.

Also, unfortunately, I've accumulated a number of commemorative knives, usually made special for us in a batch, after a noteworthy member had died. (Teddy and Pushbutton on the same knife! Can you believe that?).

I remember the squabbles with guys like Nick/Illuminaughty, the Tizzy B thing, Brad Skipper, and the end of Teddy's Place. The onslaught of spammers a few years ago, and how we still have a running thread for spammer kills and body counts started by Milu, which must be second to the Imitation Horn thread in longevity.

It's no surprise that things are different now. People who might have been interested in automatic knives once are into rocket launching drones, immersive video games, and the latest tattoo fad instead.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I still wonder what happened to Milu. He was a moderator and one day just disappeared.

People seem to have become bored with forums like this and spend more time on facebook and reddit groups.
sammy the blade

I guess everything changes, blow's but that's the way things go.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Even during my short time, I'm now noticing the absence of many of the high contributors. I click on names that were once daily posters/commenters only to find no activity/sign in for weeks. One thing's for sure though...there is no other great switchblade forum that I've seen compared to TalkBlade.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

My story is very much like Toms (tr4252) ....My first few posts were posted in all caps !..... :shock: , and Mr. pushbutton told me to stop yelling ! :oops:
The reason I posted in caps was because I didn't have my glasses yet and couldn't see the tiny letters !, I didn't know caps mean yelling :lol: ....I learned
I once had a lengthy email exchange will Teddy , I asked him to explain English politics , He did and taught me a lot , I thought that was nice . Talkblade was the first forum I joined ( 2003) , and glad I did , I certinly miss all the folks we've lost , that's for sure

Rondawg 8)
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

I agree that Talkblade is a great place but I will only be visiting as I have had to give up on my switchblade collection.

I had a visit from the police 2 of them at my home on Monday night holding my last warning letter from customs at Heathrow and a Cheshire Constabulary (British police) letter saying they were not taking action but are building them up and will use them to form a case against me......even threatened they were considering a dawn raid. :?

I could go on more but I have to think now I am older.I am ashamed of England at what it has become but I have more expensive sword and military collections that I could lose as well as all my switchblades.It's too much to risk over here at the moment.

I think the forum will pick up again .....all you guys have been great with me and most welcoming and I believe many new future switchblade collectors are being spawned even as I write this bound by fate to find one in a dusty chest or fathers knife wrap and push that button ,or watch a new film with a brief glimpse of one and become hooked.

This is not just a knife forum but a place to see beauty and art,and one off pieces and to meet like minded people and not feel strange for liking these weapons.More will join and new knives will appear.I have met some great freinds here.
One of the police in my house asked me if I needed help for my addiction with knives....I laughed and said no but maybe he was right a "switchblades Anonymous" :)

I think once Christmas is upon us things will start up again and some great new members have joined to carry the torch this last few years and more will come in the future.
You have all done well to fill in 16 years of chat about such an obscure knife as the switchblade and General chit chat.

I wish you all the best in collecting and health
If any generous members want a British lodger with an interest in knives PM s will be gratefully accepted and i will be on the plane forthwith8)

Look after yourselves

gravknife
Ian
sammy the blade

Sorry to hear that Ian! You've shown us some really impressive pieces over the years and I'm sure it's going to be really hard to quit. Sure isn't worth being locked up over and loosing your collection though. Maybe I'll see you on the knitting forum.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Ian sorry to hear about you issue with the law. As for me, I have been on Blade forums , SharperDeals and TB for years. TB for ten. It has become quite for sure. There are several FB groups on switchblades out there. I check in to all three twice a day......We have a few heroes like Bill DeShivs who is on several forums and responds to post all the time. I keep reading and posting when I think I have something good to add.....One member unfriended me after I commented on his rudeness to a new member ( he is often a bit rude to many).....Takes all kinds!