18 months behind bars...Really?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
john

18 months behind bars...Really?

Post by john »

We’ve all read news stories where people commit real crimes and get less time in prison.

A Richmond man has been sentenced to 18 months behind bars for smuggling several illegal weapons.

Gerald Allan Martin was sentenced Tuesday in B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver, according to the Canada Border Services Agency.

In 2014, border officers at the international mail processing centres in Vancouver and Toronto intercepted multiple packages containing prohibited weapons, such as switchblades, butterfly knives, stun guns and brass knuckles.

The CBSA executed a search warrant at Martin’s home that December.

A year later, on Dec. 30, 2015, Martin was charged with 10 offences, including smuggling, importing and possessing prohibited weapons. Last October, he pleaded guilty to some of the charges.

His lifetime ban on weapons as a result of previous convictions will remain in place.
Attachments
Weapons seized by the CBSA’s Criminal Investigations Section (from left to right seized goods: Butterfly knife, two stun guns, two brass knuckle knives, ten brass knuckles). CBSA photo.<br />B.C. man gets 18 months in jail for smuggling switchblades, butterfly knives<br />Richmond’s Gerald Allan Martin pleaded guilty to numerous weapons charges in October 2017<br />ASHLEY WADHWANIMay. 15, 2018 4:25 p.m.NEWS
Weapons seized by the CBSA’s Criminal Investigations Section (from left to right seized goods: Butterfly knife, two stun guns, two brass knuckle knives, ten brass knuckles). CBSA photo.
B.C. man gets 18 months in jail for smuggling switchblades, butterfly knives
Richmond’s Gerald Allan Martin pleaded guilty to numerous weapons charges in October 2017
ASHLEY WADHWANIMay. 15, 2018 4:25 p.m.NEWS
9E67D0E3-A27C-449B-BC55-C70346C3C665.jpeg (85.28 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Re: 18 months behind bars...Really?

Post by gravknife »

John

Things like this may signal the end of switchblade collecting for me at the moment. :cry:

I have seen similar cases as the one you posted in Ireland and the UK.These also included stun guns,switchblades and stun knuckles,but they raided the houses ,one was a parent's house .
Now every time a knife i order or win doesn't arrive its getting a little bit more scary each time..,
I could lose all my knife and sword collections ,plus other weapons I have for self preservation just to add one more knife....I am beginning to ask myself is it really worth it.

There were many stabbing deaths in London this month so they yet again will want to penalise the obscure high end knives even though kitchen knives are more likely the weapon of choice.
Customs will become much more alert for certain.

Your post has made me think even more ....what if they kept the offending objects they seize to make a case as a whole like this person in Vancouver.

I hope you are well John my freind and even if I stop collecting I will nip in here to see what wonders you lucky Americans are buying.

All the best

gravknife
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The authorities love to trumpet cases like this. Face it, enforcement of many laws, and Lord knows were have way too many of those, requires a lot of intimidation. This case certainly qualifies. Plus politicians also love these as they show the voters that "Things are being done!!" Truth be known, this whole thing reeks of political based enforcement.
john

Post by john »

One word Scapegoat; they make an example of a person who committed a victimless crime. Cowards, why aren’t they fighting real crime?

Ian, lay low for awhile till the heat settles down. Eventually things will go back to the way they were.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
NoAlias

Post by NoAlias »

Is there anyone in Canada that can help me out on me
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

This is a sad case!! I remember when it was a fearsome enterprise to ship knives into Illinois!! I wonder if this is still the case!! Does anyone know? I have a guy in Illinois who wants to buy a knife from me. Is it safe to to ship a knife there? :shock:
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Ship it, just don't put switchblade on the box.
2024 candidate for president
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

sammy the blade wrote:Ship it, just don't put switchblade on the box.
Awwww, come on Sammy! Do you really think I am THAT ditzy?? :shock: LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

SAMMY DON'T ANSWER THAT !!!

RUNNING >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Just use plenty of extra tape and you'll be golden.
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

My packages have to be the hardest to open...for that very reason! :shock: :D
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

barshoo wrote:This is a sad case!! I remember when it was a fearsome enterprise to ship knives into Illinois!! I wonder if this is still the case!! Does anyone know? I have a guy in Illinois who wants to buy a knife from me. Is it safe to to ship a knife there? :shock:
Switchblades were legalized in Illinois for residents who have a Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID).
sammy the blade

FOID sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Guess living in Indians isn't as bad as I thought. I know it could be worse.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

sammy the blade wrote:FOID sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Guess living in Indians isn't as bad as I thought. I know it could be worse.
Not the most ideal but it's an improvement over the total ban Illinois had before. From what I understand a FOID is "shall issue" as long as you are not a convicted felon or otherwise prohibited from owning a gun.
sammy the blade

That's the way it is in Indiana, they just make a bunch of money on the FOID fees. You don't need a carry permit in Indiana to carry a switchblade. Don't know if a felony would disqualify for a switchblade or not.