Please pray for Omega's wife

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TRYKER

Re: Please pray for Omega's wife

Post by TRYKER »

i'm glad she's on the mend, now she needs the proper meds to help with the anti Trump problem
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

natcherly wrote:Great news, Chris, and Many Happy Returns on your birthday.
omega wrote:...I would expect that by today, some of her fine motor skills will return, allowing her to fling feces, bedpans and other detritus at anyone mentioning the name "Donald Trump."

I actually get this way too when someone mentions Hillary or one of her fellow travelers in the New Hard Left Democrat Party.
Have to say I agree with Mr Natch on that subject! but i'm glad to hear that your better half is on the mend and I pray that the rest of her surgeries are very successful!

If the grill was still being fired up I would send her some home smoked bacon and a jar of good ole Ga B-B-Q sauce :D
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
omega

Post by omega »

Even if you did send it Mr. Tequiza, I fear that the requisite taste testing might cause the products to go missing prior to her arrival home ;)

You know what an addict i am when it comes to your grilled/smoked creations. The previous shipment from a few years ago lasted all of 24 hours. I also learned exactly how far I had to insert my tongue to reach the leavings in the bottom of the sauce container. :)
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Continued prayers being sent. Jesus, hear our prayers. God be with her as she continues to recover.

In Jesus' holy name we pray,

Amen.
Fishtail Picklock
omega

Post by omega »

Hey guys! Found a minute to once again thank you for your prayers and kind words. It's meant more to me than you know. Historically, I haven't been a huge believer in the power of prayer, but this whole ordeal is reshaping my own beliefs a little each day. You know me...... I'm the guy at St Peter's Gate who has suddenly found his faith. If I understand corectly, late is better than never and still secures admission.

Sharon continues to improve physically - not bad for someone initially given 24 hours to live. But it also one-step forward, two back at times. The newest MRI films confirm she has suffererd a series of strokes which are effecting both memory and cognitive factors. As explained to me, when large bones are badly fractured, fat emboli from within the bones enter the blood stream, sometimes lodging in the brain's tissue. This is the cause of the strokes (multiple). When asked simple things like her house number, she can't answer, nor can she remember the names of our cats. When asked her name, she responds "Mrs. Chris Edwards-" so at least she remembers ME. There also exist fine motor issues which we hope will impove.

She's lucky to be alive and I'm lucky to have her. Shes my 3rd wife, but the best of the lot, so I'm gonna keep her! The memory issues could become mixed blessing if it turns out that she can't recall how many pieces of Maniago-ware I own. Why knows, I could end up like Dave Sause whose collection is stacked like firewood next to his easy chair. OH.....btw:

Dear Jesus, please send me the keys to Dave's underutilized green corvette. - Your Humble Servant!

PS Jesus. Please send warm weather to Tequiza-land. Smoked bacon improves the quality of my prayers! :)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

So glad to hear of even the slightest improvements Chris!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I am so happy that your wife is getting better,it will take time,just hang in there.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Any updates on Mrs. Omega?
2024 candidate for president
omega

Post by omega »

sammy the blade wrote:Any updates on Mrs. Omega?
Hey Sammy!

Sharon is doing better by the day. She's off the ventilator and pacemaker as she begins the healing process. Her badly fractured right lower leg is going to be the one huge issue remaining after the other stuff is resolved.

Speech, memory and cognitive issues continue, but there is marked improvement in those areas as each day passes. Other minor issues keep popping up, so its kind of like playing Whack-a-Mole for the medical staff.

Her spirits are good, especially as she is starting to face some of her realities, given her situation. I think the most difficult one is that her career in floor-nursing is over due to residual impairment of standing and walking. Nursing was her passion. When I met her she was struggling with trying to work a full-time job and putting herself thru nursing school at the same time. For all the time and heartache invested, she's certainly going to face a poor return in actual nursing-time.

That said, she's a tough little lady (much tougher than me) and she'sgoing to have challenges, but I'm here to help lessen her burdens as best I can.

Thanks for asking!

Chris
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Glad she's coming along! I hope she can return to nursing too, sux when you get where you want in life and have the floor knocked from under you.
2024 candidate for president
DonC

Post by DonC »

Great to hear Sharon is continuing to improve. Even small steps are reasons to celebrate for both of you. More renewed good thought for both of you.
DonC
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

What Don said. Since you are back to giving me shit about the car and my knives, she must be doing well. I couldn't be happier for both of you. Keep it up.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
thom

Post by thom »

Hey Chris, sorry to hear about your wife. Hope you are both getting better. I was thinking of you the other day and saw this. Again best to you both.
Thom
omega

Post by omega »

thom wrote:Hey Chris, sorry to hear about your wife. Hope you are both getting better. I was thinking of you the other day and saw this. Again best to you both.
Thom
Hey Thom, nice to hear from you. I wish I had great news to report on Sharon's recovery, but not every story can have a happy ending. Sharon's hospitalization is now at the 7+ weeks mark with no early end in sight. While her vitals are mostly stable, a new heart issue has surfaced, causing it to bet at about 30bpm. Normal resting heart beats are 60-70bpm or even greater. She had bad bruising to both her heart and lungs and was on a ventilator and pacemaker for a good while. She was wearing a seat belt with shoulder harness and is still black/blue from the abrupt head-on impact.

She had severe compound fractures of both the tibia and fibula bones in her right leg. The put her leg back together as best they could and she's been wearing one of those metal contraptions (external fixator) to hold the bones in place during healing. The thing is screwed into the bones, thru the skin and muscle and looks like some sort of perverse erector set. The metal transmits both heat and cold directly to the bones and it hurts like hell.

She is scheduled to have the fixator removed in the morning, but the surgeons seem to have their doubts as to the degree of bone healing thus far. The x-ray films show far-from-perfect fracture unions and they may decide to add some internal hardware once they get her opened up and see what they're working with in there. Best case scenario is that we could be looking at another 2-3 weeks of hospital confinement, followed by 4-6 weeks of further care in an orthopedic rehab facility.

Sharon doesn't want to go to rehab and wants badly to be discharged to home. The problem with that idea, is that I lack the necessary skills to care for her here. She can't bear weight on the right leg, so she's limited to wheelchair and walker. Moving about is quite painful and she's only good for short 30 minute windows before she has to get back to bed. Although she can receive in-home PT/OT and nursing care, frankly those things are done much better in an inpatient setting.

With the acutely painful nature of her injuries, she's now been on Oxycodone forever it seems. Like most opioids, they lose their punch after a while, requiring ever-increasing dosages over time to achieve even modest pain relief. Now add in the hysteria surrounding the "opioid crisis," Doctors have gotten skittish about writing scripts, leaving many legit patients suffering due to under treatment. With almost 8 weeks of continuous opiate therapy, its a FACT that she's now dependent upon them, so there's another mess to face once her body mends.

When the accident happened, both lower legs were crushed beneath the dashboard. When the bones broke, fatty emboli was discharged into her blood stream, working its way to her brain. This has resulted in a series of small strokes that have effected her memory as well as some higher brain functions. She might surprise us all, or she could have cognitive issues on a permanent basis. Too early to predict at this point.

Whatever the final outcome, she's my wife and partner in life. At one point she saved me from my own demons (substance abuse), and I owe her my life for that alone. We've had a great -10- years together and will take this thing to the finish line no matter how hard or how long it takes. We're both 60 now, and despite the hardships, our relationship remains solid. Coming out the other side of this, that solidarity will be unbreakable. Funny how one learns to build from adversity.

Sorry to drone on with this long post. I guess I needed to vent a little in a safe place among friends! Even with all the hardships, I'm holding up surprisingly well. I long for the days where my most challenging decisions had to do with the haggling over the price of stilettos. Many have been sold privately to fund more pressing needs, but being a true knife addict, I'll be carving my initials into church pews again soon enough. :)
img0019.jpeg
img0019.jpeg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
Oh.. and PS to our female membership: Just like mom always told you to wear clean underwear in case you were in an accident, Scary Uncle Chris says "keep your legs shaved at all times!"
omega

Post by omega »

ILikeStilettos wrote:What Don said. Since you are back to giving me shit about the car and my knives, she must be doing well. I couldn't be happier for both of you. Keep it up.
Dave, the wife's status has nothing to do with it. I just plain enjoy giving you shit!'

Chris :D