Please pray for Omega's wife

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

Re: Please pray for Omega's wife

Post by sammy the blade »

Guess I got lucky, I took lortab for a number of years daily after a lower back surgery. I didn't have any problems when I stopped taking them.
2024 candidate for president
omega

Post by omega »

Hey Sammy!

There's a growing body of research suggesting a genetic predisposition to alcohol and substance dependence. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones. There's also a large group of chronic pain sufferers who claim no withdrawl-type symptoms when the cease their meds. Someone is going to make a shitload of money once they figure it out and can patent a zero-addiction/tolerance/dependence type med. Unfortunately, big pharma isn't going to like it one bit, so we can forget about their funding such research.
thom

Post by thom »

When it rains it pours. Thanks for update and please keep me updated.
Thom
omega

Re: Please pray for Omega's wife (Great News)

Post by omega »

I'm super-pleased to be able to announce that Sharon has been released from the hospital. She will continue to receive PT/OT and skilled nursing services in-home several days each week.

Her mobility is severely limited, but when she feels like it, she is able to get about via wheelchair and/or walker. We've made a number of handicapped "accomodations," to increase her mobility, but for the most part, she's bed bound as its very painful to try to walk just yet. They still have that external fixator contraption (see page three of this thread) on her right lower leg and it will likely stay there for another month or so as the bones heal further. That thing is pretty wretched looking, so we'll both be glad once its gone.

Being chief "caregiver," is a challenge, but I'm learning lots of fun stuff such as how to change complex wound dressings, etc. My 1st attempt looked like a 4-year-old had done it. We've added all sorts of stuff to our tiny apartment, such as a special bathing bench to make bathtub access easier, walkers, canes, wheelchairs and so on. Fortunately, her reliance on that stuff will decrease as she heals. Until then, I have to watch walking about in the dark at night so as not to trip/fall over something that now occupies once-vacant spaces.

I want to thank all of you for your kind words and prayers and your PM's of encouragement - its meant so much to me to have that kind of support. Sharon is still amazed that a bunch of crusty, old knife buds could care so much about another's wife that they've never even met. You guys are the Best! It makes me proud to be a member of this community. I hope that none of you or your loved ones ever have to deal with this sort of mess in your lives, but I'm ready to return that love and support in any way I can if/when the time comes.

Sooner or later, time and energy permitting, I'll get back to my knives and the endless debates of storing them open vs closed, proper lubrication, etc.. In the interim, I may not publish much on the forum, but I'll be lurking out there, reading the threads and admiring (no, lusting after) your collections. I'm waiting for one of Sharon's good days so that I can snap a pic of her holding my favorite EDC.... a Bill DeShivs large Leverletto. Stay tuned - I'll post it once its in the can!

Chris
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

That's great news Chris! Truly an additional labor of love for you, but it's my belief that her further comfort in your home environment, will hopefully aid in the healing process. Best of luck and wishes. Hoping for some more good news, when you can...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

That's good news, she will do better at home. Nobody likes being on the hospital, only thing worse is being on jail.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Praise God, Chris! May His blessings continue to flow in your life, and may Sharon return to full health and remain in your loving arms for decades to come!

Selah!
Fishtail Picklock
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Chris, that is very good new's to read first thing in the a.m. ,It will get better, bless both of you.Eric
DonC

Post by DonC »

Great news. Always better to be home than in the petri dish they call hospitals. Whenever they've had to "keep me" my one desire has been to get out of there.
Keeping positive thoughts for Sharon (and you too) that her recovery continues without set backs.
DonC
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

It is great news that Sharon has healed enough to go home. As many have written, it is better for the patient to be out of the ol' horsepistol. Too many opportunities to acquire a number of nasty pathogens. Now it's up to Nurse Chris to provide many care giving responsibilities. Good that there will be some skilled nursing help to give you a break. Take care of yourself too!
sammy the blade

Any updates Chris?
omega

Post by omega »

sammy the blade wrote:Any updates Chris?
I wish I had a feel-good update to offer, but life doesn't always work that way.

After three months in hospital and two weeks at home, she announced she was divorcing me. There were no arguments, fights or other precipitating factors..... just the announcement.

While she did sustain a series of small strokes post-crash, who can say what if any effect those had on her thought processes. Her reasoning shall always be a mystery to me. She has since moved out and now resides with local family.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...right now, I'm in shock. Wish I could come up with some words for you Chris...I had to read what you just wrote more than 10 times...Truly shocked.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
omega

Post by omega »

It's OK Jules...... all things happen for a reason and many times, its a good one. Besides, she never had much appreciation for my love of knives and firearms. The 4th Mrs Omega, if there is to be one, will be some hottie from the gun show. Can't go wrong with that.:)
omega

Re: Please pray for Omega's wife - Thanks to ALL!

Post by omega »

As some of you know, Sharon is divorcing me. I truly don't know why, but I do know its real and its final.

I suspect it may be related to the small series of strokes she had post-crash effecting her thought processes. While her mind is at 80% now, the part of her that loved me is now gone. Despite her endless list of medical issues from the crash, she is otherwise coherent and exhibits rational thought. I spent 3 months at hospital bedside plus 3 more weeks of 24/7 care in our home. I did what I could day in and day out to show her my love, so my conscience is clean as far as the "in sickness and in health" thing.

There will be no reconcilliation (my choice, not hers). Her adult kids have hated my guts for years and that fact may play strongly into things- one never knows. I look forward to being rid of the lot of them.

As for me, I'll return to my guitar playing, my knifes and guns, as well as some of the other things that brought me joy, pre-sharon. Many of those pastimes Sharon frowned upon. She especially hated my music, as it was most often performed in bars and other venues where she thought I would be tempted to take up with other women, although I never did. Not even once. As husbands go, I was a good one. Somewhere down the line she lost the ability to appreciate that.

Yes, I'm going to miss her, but feminine companionship always came easily to me and will again. Already, a couple of her girlfriends are circling the skies like vultures searching for carrion. Life goes on.