Is anyone else on the board a "hat person"?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Is anyone else on the board a "hat person"?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I buy handmade (bespoke) and "vintage" (1960's and earlier) fur felt dress hats. I prefer beaver fur to rabbit, but the hats I buy are all higher-end "vintage" or bespoke (custom) handmade headgear.
I am very fortunate. In Eugene Oregon, Northwest Hats at 870 Pearl Street makes great beaver fur hats (both dress and western) for a little more than $300.00. Normally hats of this caliber begin at $1000.00 and go up from there. Today's production hats can't match the quality of the hats made during the days prior to 1963. (They just don't make them that well any longer). The quality is nowhere near that of the bygone days. This is why I'll buy a "vintage" hat over a modern production hat any day of the week.

I have seen high-quality hats go for as much as $5000.00 for a fur felt hat that would have cost $25.00-$30.00 in 1955. That isn't inflation, it is insane! Thankfully I can keep buying more and more "vintage" hats and some bespoke hats at reasonable rates.

I'm in no way affiliated with Mike Miller at northwesthats.com but I am a satisfied customer. Right now he is making me an original Lock & Company style bowler that would normally cost $500.00 to have imported from London. Mike will personally "shellac" (using wood shellac) the beaver fur so that it will be the equivalent of the original 1849 Lock and Co. bowler. It takes him three months to manufacture the hat, but it is worth it. I already have a custom "Whippet" style fedora that he made. It has a different crown than the original. (Stetson made theirs with a "diamond" style crown while mine is a "double teardrop" or "c" crown). I have the only one of it's kind in the world.

There's something to be said for being an "original". 8) :wink:
Fishtail Picklock
john

Re: Is anyone else on the board a "hat person"?

Post by john »

You must have an amazing collection of hats. Would you mind posting a few of your favorites. I’d like to see them.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Fishtail Picklock

Unfortunately, I don't know how to post pictures from my little ACER notebook. (Heck, I don't even know how to use the camera).

I have,
1) a cheap wool bowler,
2 & 3) two wool-rabbit fur blend bowlers from Reed Hill from Wappinger Falls, NY (black and Navy Blue.
4 a 1955 Champ fedora in "putty gray".
5) a chocolate brown rabbit fur bowler from Bollman Hats in Pennsylvania.
5 & 6) 2 rabbit fur bowlers from Magill of Montreal Quebec (chocolate brown with a camel ribbon and a camel-colored bowler with a chocolate brown grosgrain binder and ribbon
7) a black bowler from Christys' of London
8 ) my Northwest Hats Whippet.
9) a beige wool "Ivy" driving cap
10) a narrow-brimmed (1960's) Royal Stetson black Fedora.
11) a wider-brimmed (1960's) Royal Stetson brown Fedora.
12) a Christy's 100% Tweed walking hat made in Italy
13) a wool low-crown dressage top hat (made in England).
14) a grey herringbone tweed flat cap,
15) a 1960's vintage Biltmore grey Homburg with a black ribbon,
16) an inexpensive Bailey of Hollywood Panama fedora,
17) a vintage Hudson of New York straw boater,
18) By the end of next month, I'll have my custom black bowler from Northwest Hats,
19 a cheap mesh plastic driving cap.
20) an old grey Stetson Saxon fedora,
21) a 1960's vintage Royal Stetson grey bowler,
22) a "Dobbs in the rain" black duck fedora.

I'll be buying more.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

That's a lot of hats!
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Dressing in a distinctive and classic style makes me feel good and look sharp. I guess that it is okay to wear a ball cap, but I really enjoy dressing well and being complimented for it.

Maturity has its benefits.
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

One of the most notable hats I have ever seen was one worn by gentleman I would see almost daily as I went to work. He would be proudly standing on the platform waiting for the train with his raccoon hat upon his head. The hat still had the raccoons face with glass eyes and a long tail down the back. The legs and paws were position as if the raccoon was sitting on top of the gentleman’s head.
John

Fishtail Picklock

John:

That is unique all right. Unfortunately, unless you are in severe winter garb, such headgear may be viewed as a bit out-of-place. (I would see it as just different). To each their own.

I will occasionally don my dressage top hat for church ar a special function. When worn with a morning coat and striped slacks I'll be accused of being late to the wedding! ;) Dressing in quasi-formal garb seems to gain more positive than negative attention.
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

I own one hat I’ll take a photo and posted.
John

sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Can't wait to see it!
2024 candidate for president
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Not sure this qualifies as a hat, ball cap I guess.
This and a helmet are the only head gear I adorn my top knot with.
That is quite an impressive collection you have there.
My daily apparell consists of Levi's 501 jeans and t-shirts. If I wore a collered shirt people would accuse me of being dressed for church.
Attachments
b57800adf5c3fab7805c706a46a23408_large.jpg
b57800adf5c3fab7805c706a46a23408_large.jpg (21.99 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Fishtail Picklock

Ball caps are excellent for working in garages, shooting and in other "blue collar" activities. While there is nothing wrong with them, the ball cap is little more than a bald-spot cover. More fashionable hats are seen as useful for a more formal mode of dress, keeping the head warm and as a shield from the sun. Fedoras, bowlers, Homburg, Top, and Panama (Toquilla Palm frond) hats fall into the latter category.

The ball cap is fine but can be replaced with a dressier Driving, Ivy or Newsboy caps. They look better and often last much longer. Personally, I dislike acting as a "walking billboard" for a product. (I'm not being paid to advertise for anyone).
Fishtail Picklock
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have to wear suits and or sport jacket and tie for work. I never really wear a hat as I find my hair looks terrible after I remove it! There are days I would like too, if it wasn't for the hair issue....I sometimes wear "180s" which are ear muffs that wrap around the back of your head to keep your ears warm without messing up your hair.
I go to Mass every Sunday, and it amazes me how no one dresses up for Mass anymore...Sad.
Fishtail Picklock

Tom19176 wrote:I have to wear suits and or sport jacket and tie for work. I never really wear a hat as I find my hair looks terrible after I remove it! There are days I would like too, if it wasn't for the hair issue....I sometimes wear "180s" which are ear muffs that wrap around the back of your head to keep your ears warm without messing up your hair.
I go to Mass every Sunday, and it amazes me how no one dresses up for Mass anymore...Sad.
It is sad that men and women don't dress well on a routine basis (4-6 days a week). It isn't that hard, nor is it that expensive. I buy used sports jackets for as little as $5.00 each. They look darned good. Wal*Mart sells Oxford cloth dress shirts for less than $15.00 each (in various colors). Ties abound and can be had for between $5.00 and $100.00 each. Again, Wal*Mart sells nice George brand dress slacks for as low as $16.00 each. It isn't that hard to dress well and feel good about yourself.

I have 1 (read: one) graphic t-shirt. It was awarded to the cast of our local Theatric Troupe (of which I am a regular member). It was a "War Of The Worlds" t-shirt for our participation in its performance. (I only wear it around the house).

But that's just me. :P :mrgreen:
Fishtail Picklock