Kitchen remodel

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Kitchen remodel

Post by jim d, »

Since January my wife and I have been planning a complete remodeling of our kitchen. My house was built in 1984 and the kitchen is pretty much original. If you walked into my kitchen your response would likely be along the lines of ...Jim - I believe you that this kitchen is original :lol: Remember the old stainless Jen-Aire ranges from the '80's - check, remember formica countertops - check, remember the thick vinyl flooring that looked like bricks - check, etc., etc.

We finally signed a contract yesterday. Folks warned me that it would be a lot of work just selecting the appliances, floor, countertops, cabinets and cabinet configuration, backsplash, sinks, fixtures, lighting etc. My wife is more than a bit picky and made sure she looked at every model of every item. Plus, there was some scope creep as it now includes remodeling the adjacent entrance from the garage, a half bath and a laundry room. Also, we are relocating the water heater from its stupid under the stairway location to the garage. Anyway, in about the week the fun begins...

Jim
JulesVane

Re: Kitchen remodel

Post by JulesVane »

God bless 'ya Jim and good luck! I don't envy what you are going through, but I'm sure the outcome will please you and your Mrs. very much.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I sympathize completely, Jim. Having been through several remodels on a house built in 1883 as well as building a new one from scratch, I can testify that this process will test your mettle. Good thing some "scope creep" occurred early on. Change orders are killers that can really blow the budget and stress the marriage!

And you picked the kitchen to do this! If project takes the usual twice as long (at twice the budget), you will be seeing a lot of Mickey D. :mrgreen:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

David,

The good news / bad news is that we have already exhausted the scope creep and picked out everything. The contractor has looked around and indicated that we can expect no "surprises". We really didn't have a budget going in as we have never done anything like this and didn't know exactly what to expect. We did have a guess and the bottom line is that it will right at 2 times our original estimate :shock:

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I feel for you Jim. I just remodeled our kitchen less than a year ago. The wife and I did most of the work to save some bucks...Worse thing is I'm not all that happy with it. Not that it turned out bad, but we have a small ranch style home and you don't have many different options or room to change things around much.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

whippersnapper wrote:I feel for you Jim. I just remodeled our kitchen less than a year ago. The wife and I did most of the work to save some bucks...Worse thing is I'm not all that happy with it. Not that it turned out bad, but we have a small ranch style home and you don't have many different options or room to change things around much.
...We have the same situation here whippersnapper. The little lady wants to drop big bucks into '"re-doing" our kitchen. But, it's pretty tiny & absolutely no way to expand. I have to continuously remind her that we can't stretch the kitchen out. Sure, new cabinets, counters and appliances, but same, tiny kitchen and same configuration. Of course, she has her eye on $4,000 refrigerators and I could live with a bucket of ice lol!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

We just bought new living room furniture today. I hope that will keep her happy for awhile....Seriously though, I can't complain. She doesn't ask for much and I have put her through hell this year with my health problems.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have two houses ( one I bought for my son two years ago) and they are both have small kitchens. I just redid most of my sons with him. We also did new floors, fences and painted also all because his girl friend moved in. I only used outside labor for the fence. I just can't see paying three to four times the material costs for labor. Last year I installed two new pre hung doors in my house with the help of a friend. It would have cost three time the costs of the doors to have them installed with the bids I got for labor.....
john

Post by john »

Hi Jim,
I wish you all the best; good luck on your remodeling project. I hope it all goes smoothly and perfectly. I've had great experiences and pretty bad experiences with remodeling projects. I really hope you're project goes awesomely well.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

Tom19176 wrote:I have two houses ( one I bought for my son two years ago) and they are both have small kitchens. I just redid most of my sons with him. We also did new floors, fences and painted also all because his girl friend moved in. I only used outside labor for the fence. I just can't see paying three to four times the material costs for labor. Last year I installed two new pre hung doors in my house with the help of a friend. It would have cost three time the costs of the doors to have them installed with the bids I got for labor.....
TOM, i bet its not as small as mine, 5'x9' lol
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
dabron3

Post by dabron3 »

Goodluck on your kitchen project. Post some pics if you don't mind.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Jim,
There's one sure thing about a kitchen, I don't care how many feet of counter space you have a woman will find stuff to fill every inch of it!
Don't ask me how I know :lol:

Hope all goes smooth and you get it finished soon!

Pete
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Jim D-

Cudos on your attempt to increase kitchen comfort and placate your her. AS always, your ol' pal, WJC is looking out for ya. Eye have roofing colleagues near Mayberry that would be only too happy to provide for you a decorative and maintenance free kitchen floor...nothing is AS impressive AS a nice tar and gravel floorscape. Let me know if'n ye would like them to arrive un-announced and roof in your kitchen.

AS ever,

your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Wally J. Corpse wrote:Greetings, Mr. Jim D-

Cudos on your attempt to increase kitchen comfort and placate your her. AS always, your ol' pal, WJC is looking out for ya. Eye have roofing colleagues near Mayberry that would be only too happy to provide for you a decorative and maintenance free kitchen floor...nothing is AS impressive AS a nice tar and gravel floorscape. Let me know if'n ye would like them to arrive un-announced and roof in your kitchen.

AS ever,

your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Mr.Corpse,

Ah yes! And all counters trimmed with 3 inch gravel stop, 3 coursed (of course) with wet patch to preserve the sticky gift that keeps on giving...

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Jeepers! It's probably been a long while since you've done an interior hot asphalt kitchen remodel/somewhat improvement, ' eh? You forgot the cardinal rule of countertop edge flashing detail, to wit: it's been proven that the use of traditional gravel stop decorative counter edgeing will contain, and pond the blood/guts fluid from hastily butchered/eviscerated unwilling meal creatures, therefore either reverse the riser to provide a thoughtful drip edge to send the fluid onto the shoes of un-awares dinner guests, or go with shingle nosing. I agree with the concept of wet patch triple coursing perimeters, however odd folks may not appreciate that after dinner solvent scent souvenir. Some people are so sensitive didja' ever notice that? The same sealant duty can be accomplished with double sided butyl tape, which is also available in colors to match décor. If'n Mr. JimD is sincerely determined to remodel said kitchen via capital investment, eye can think of no better idea than he should fund the import of two experts, (you and I), in order to provide him with what we think he needs or, at least, amuses us, do you concur?

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse