Spam Phone Calls

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Spam Phone Calls

Post by Viking45 »

Been getting phone calls lately with people asking personal questions and of course I don't get them any information.
I looked some of the numbers up and found there are actually "answer" sites where others have keyed in the same phone number that I did and come to find out it really is a scam trying to get people to give out their SS numbers and date of births etc.

So when they called back and asked if they could verify my DOB I said sure but can you answer a question for me? The voice on the other end said sure.
I said "How much air do you think is in my trunk? I noticed the kicking stopped about an hour ago and should I be concerned at this point?
The voice said have a nice evening sir and never got any more calls back from that number 8)

I think that did the trick.
Greek stiletto

Re: Spam Phone Calls

Post by Greek stiletto »

Don't answer those calls is a hi charge numbers here in Greece we have problems with those numbers.
And if you call it back the charge you twice.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

IF I don't know the name i don't answer, luv that caller ID
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

We use NOMOROBO on our land line. Numbers in their database are intercepted after only one ring. We sometimes get a half dozen calls a day and this free service reduces the noise pollution of a ringing phone with phony number calling.

Check them out. Not all land lines are covered and no cell as yet, but they are working on it.
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!

Plenty of those phone calls here in Italy as well.

I need to answer to number not on my contact list (as they may be customers :-)), but I usually just hang up and then block the number when I understand what it is.

M.
john

Post by john »

Hi David N,
I hope that NOMOROBO works in Boston.

Dave V,
I tried putting my phone on theno call list, but I keep getting calls.
Just like Dave T, I don't answer my landline at all, unless I know who is calling. I figure if it's important the caller will leave a message.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

We put our numbers on the No Call list years ago. It had and has absolutely no effect. Robo and spam calls in general are a problem the FCC was admittedly powerless to fix. So they put up a $25,000 prize to anyone who could resolve this problem. NOMOROBO was a winner of that prize.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I just say blow me and hang up.
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

sammy the blade wrote:I just say blow me and hang up.
Around here, that would probably result in a call back. :roll: Matbe more than one... :P
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I buy everything they are selling with the credit card I won in the Nigerian lottery Image
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
john

Post by john »

Hi,
FYI -
NOMOROBO Is an app for your cell phone $1.99/mo or $19.99/year and there's a land line version too!
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

natcherly wrote:
Around here, that would probably result in a call back. :roll: Matbe more than one... :P

Haven't got a call back yet.
2024 candidate for president
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

sammy the blade wrote:
natcherly wrote:

Haven't got a call back yet.
Gimme yer number you dirty son-of-a.... :lol:

I guess no one thought my "people in the trunk" thing was funny. Maybe next time I will ask if they know what takes blood stains out of carpet. :idea:
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

i just say " glad you called Richard; i can'[t bury this body alone". Usually stops that number from calling back.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

hogwild wrote:i just say " glad you called Richard; i can'[t bury this body alone". Usually stops that number from calling back.
Yeah, 'bout time you called man, this dude weighs a ton....and bring yer shovel.