Son-Of-A....

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: Son-Of-A....

Post by Viking45 »

When it comes to a motorcycle I like the blend of old school with some modern touches, however there are some things that just don't jive with me.
Example, a few weeks ago I was hanging out with some buddies and two of them suggested I get myself a "Get Back" whip.
Now I don't want to talk to you guys like you are an idiot but if you don't know what that is they are a long braided cord/whip hung from either the clutch or front brake lever. Made of leather, polyester or nylon cording they can be 12 inches to over 40 inches depending on handle bar height and personal preference.
They are just that, a get back whip. Telling some cell-phone jack-ass in traffic he'd best back off before his BMW get's permanent scar across the hood of his luxury sedan.
Getback_Whip.jpg
Getback_Whip.jpg (237.42 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
My response to their suggestion was immediate and without hesitation. I said: "No thanks, I visualize one too many scenarios that could go horrifically wrong with some kind of long cord dangling from my handle bars".

But seriously I know this is an old school tradition and some take it very serious but that's their thing not mine. I really don't want something dangling from my steering unit that could easily become entangled in the front wheel, wrap around a foot lever or even catch a passing vehicle.
I can understand the whole "heck with a helmet" thing but can't get my head around a rope swinging from my ride.

Some carry a ball-peen hammer but for me i think I'm going to invest in a Viking axe 8)

Summary: No thank you to the "get back whip" concept, I have enough concerns dealing with a-holes on their phone to worry about a rope going into my front spokes at 50 mph. 8) (unlikely? Perhaps but why take the risk?)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Viking45 wrote:...I looked up everything being replaced, found it, priced it and even checked on delivery times and nothing took more than 3/4 days.
Oh well, whatta ya gonna do?
Confront the SOB's with what you found. I've always known that most of the "service" departments at automobile dealers were untrustworthy scumbags constantly looking at ways to screw the customer. Now I guess I need to add Harley service as well. All I want is good service, not getting serviced good....
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Damn. I'm so sorry that she had her head so far up her @$$ that she didn't realize what she had done. I would insist on new parts and pay the difference so that the bike will have the original service-life expectancy. I'm sorry, it was her fault and SHE needs to cough up the shekels to effect the proper repairs.

Anything less is unacceptable.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Could be they have other work ahead of yours.
2024 candidate for president
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

sammy the blade wrote:Could be they have other work ahead of yours.
That's really what the case is here, they are the only HD dealer within 60 or so miles and Springfield is the third largest city in Missouri, however I still feel 60+ days is too long to slap a few chrome parts on.
natcherly wrote:Now I guess I need to add Harley service as well..
I have heard numerous times from other HD owners how sh*tty the service is at this dealership. I have always found them friendly and knowledgeable but having dealt with them first hand I now see what their gripe is.

For example the deal with the insurance guy calling me and telling me if I want any aftermarket exhausts or other items (because they are usually less costly than original HD parts) to tell them now.
When talking with the service manager we discussed a couple options and he just kept coming back to "high flow intakes", some kind of special dyna-tune something or other both costing well over 300 bucks trying to squeeze me for money out of my pocket.
I kept insisting I don't want to pay one dime out of my pocket and these things are not that important to me. After almost an hour of going in circles I was ready to walk away and he said "let me shuffle some numbers around and see what we can do".
Almost a week later I go in and they said they will do the aftermarket exhaust but it's going to cost me 50 bucks. A small price maybe but it still insults me because I know they are saving over 300 bucks on the exhaust alone.

It could be I'm way down the list and it could be they didn't get to squeeze me for more cash and said screw-it, put this guy on the back burner.
Either way I felt I wasn't important to them and it was clear it all about cash over doing right by me.
I didn't just wake up in this world but I guess I still have some hope that maybe this once someone is going to be a straight shooter.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

There is a dealer in Wabash IN, probably the one of the oldest in the state. Waldo Brandt was in Hawaii when it was bombed getting us in WWII. He would roll over in his grave if he could see what Harley Davidson has come to.
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

You never see get back whips in California. They are seen to be illegal if they can be removed and thereby used as a weapon. In CA, most things are illegal (maybe not cannabis). However, I believe we are the only state to allow lane splitting. That too may change....
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Update- I got the bike back last Saturday (05-06-17)
Only took the finest Harley Davidson qualified technicians a little over 40 days to replace a few scratched chrome parts.
The head tech called me a couple weeks back and said he had 160 bucks to play with and if I wanted any extras? I said I'd like the two-toned,old school gold/chrome Live To Ride derby cover (clutch cover,last pic) and a matching gas cap, and I still have 60 bucks.

Oh well here are a few close-up shots.
(right click a pic and hit "View Image" for a larger photo)
Attachments
AA-01.jpg
AA-01.jpg (668.16 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
AA-02.jpg
AA-02.jpg (508.79 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
AA-03.jpg
AA-03.jpg (475.54 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
AA-04.jpg
AA-04.jpg (581.43 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
AA-05.jpg
AA-05.jpg (437.48 KiB) Viewed 1956 times