New Toy

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

New Toy

Post by Viking45 »

It's been while since I bought myself anything and decided to get a small bench top drill press.
We have a Grizzly store here in town but theirs cost 170 bucks and it's a 5 speed and not as robust as this one from Harbor Freight. (both made in China)
It has a larger diameter frame and steel base and table which for me is better than cast iron and is a 10 inch with 12 speeds for right at a 100 bucks.
I was willing to pay the 130 but the gal at the register scanned a coupon and gave it to me for 100 so I went back and got a cast iron vice to mount on it and she gave me a discount on it too- 16 dollar vice for about 12 so what the heck.
It actually runs very smooth and if I'm not mistaken I think it takes up to 3/4" bit. Not a bad buy for less than 125 for both 8)
Attachments
CentralMachinery10in-12Speed.jpg
CentralMachinery10in-12Speed.jpg (100 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Vice.jpg
Vice.jpg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
whippersnapper

Re: New Toy

Post by whippersnapper »

I have had one very similar for over 10 years. No complaints or problems.
Viking45

Re: New Toy

Post by Viking45 »

Cool Terry, glad to hear it. It will be mostly used for wood but every now and then I may need to punch a hole in mild plate steel.

I always use my cordless Bosch but even then I sometimes need the precision of a drill press 8)

I paid 250 plus bucks for this drill, it's made in Switzerland and the batteries are made in Poland...charger Mexico.
Attachments
Bosch01.jpg
Bosch01.jpg (116.25 KiB) Viewed 1669 times