Anyone have a 6.5 Carcano? Or know someone who does?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Markco the Mad otter

Anyone have a 6.5 Carcano? Or know someone who does?

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Well...? Do you?
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
whippersnapper

Re: Anyone have a 6.5 Carcano? Or know someone who does?

Post by whippersnapper »

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

I was given an old Jap rifle many years ago that came with a partial box of 6.5 Carcano shells. The rifle was supposedly brought back from WW11 and didn't have the firing pin part of the receiver. Shortly after getting the gun (I was still a teenager) I took it up to the local gun shop where he had a firing assembly and it was used to shoot one round. We did shoot the 6.5 carcano round through it and all went well...lol Still, the gun shop owner wan't always the sharpest gun guy imo, so I'm still not sure it is correct because I believe there were another 6.5 jap round for some of these military rifles. I'm not familiar with them to know if a carcano could be fired down the 6.5 jap barrel.

He wanted way more than I wanted to spend for the pin so I have just had it sitting in the gun cabinet for over 30 years. I never again attempted to get the part or try to shoot it.
0124171813 - Edited.jpg
0124171813 - Edited.jpg (515.83 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

You could probably have one made for not a lot of money
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I read on the other forum that marko has some shells he doesn't need. Since this gun isn't complete they aren't much use to me.

And yeah, I could probably get the missing part fairly cheap but I haven't much interest in the rifle.

I'm probably going to start letting go of all my remaining guns and knives in the next few months.
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

That is correct, I do have a 20 rd box of said ammo.

Whipper, you sure it is a Jap rifle? The rifle that I had was given to me and the fellow admittedly knew nothing about guns. He told me that he thought that it was Japanese instead of Italian.

A Carcano is quite difficult to load without the proper clip that is inserted into the bottom. Much like the M1 Garand, when the last round is chambered the clip is then ejected out making the clips easily lost.
The Garand is however loaded from the top and the clip is also ejected from the top.
It was allegedly a 6.5 Carcano that was used in the assassination of president John F. Kennedy.
Though they have been described as inaccurate and unreliable weapons the few times that I fired mine I found nothing very remarkable about it, neither good or bad.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I honestly don't know if it is a Japanese rifle or not. The woman I got the rifle from was a widow and told me her husband brought it back from the battle of Iwo Jima. I'm sure that was what he told her but it may have been BS. That was what she said so I figured it was japanese.

I still have the old box of norma 6.5 shells. It's been over 30 years but I'm sure it was one of these that we fired through it.
0124172230 - Edited.jpg
0124172230 - Edited.jpg (296.66 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
This is loaded from the top and has spring type fixed magazine (I don't know if that is the proper term). There is a little latch in front of the trigger that releases the spring.
0124172216 - Edited (1).jpg
0124172216 - Edited (1).jpg (401.22 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
Besides the gun shop owner years ago, I have never really shown the gun to anyone who would know anything about it. I guess it could be Italian..
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Looks like a type 38 Arisaka to me. A friend of mine used to sing the praises of these. The type 99 was somewhat similar but was in 7.7mm. Both were used in WW2. People collect these and your piece might have value.