Happy Labor Day 2016

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
john

Happy Labor Day 2016

Post by john »

HAPPY LABOR DAY!!!!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Re: Happy Labor Day 2016

Post by sammy the blade »

Used to be a paid day off but seeing how I'm unemployed, it's even better!!!
2024 candidate for president
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

When I was working we used to cook a whole hog on labor day, now that i'm old and retired, it's just beans and hot dogs, and of course a beer or two. :wink:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
john

Post by john »

tequiza wrote:When I was working we used to cook a whole hog on labor day, now that i'm old and retired, it's just beans and hot dogs, and of course a beer or two. :wink:
Did you cook that hog on your brick barbecue? That's an awesome barbecue. My dad built a barbecue I have to show you a photo of it.
All I had today was a barbecued burger cooked on my Weber Grill. I should've fired up the brick bbq.
John

tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Sure did John, I cooked many a hog on that grill, and several of them on the other grills I built in South Fla, I screwed up and didn't put a firebox on the end of this one like the other ones I had before, got in to much of a hurry to finish it, I have 3 smaller grills that I use for cooking steaks, chicken, ribs, but don't use them much anymore either, sure was a lot easier when I was in my 50's and 60's, but COPD has cut down my wood cutting quite a bit! :(

I would love to see a pic of your Dad's grill! 8)
AMDAZ

Post by AMDAZ »

Same to you .Hope you and family had a good one. :D
john

Post by john »

tequiza wrote:Sure did John, I cooked many a hog on that grill, and several of them on the other grills I built in South Fla, I screwed up and didn't put a firebox on the end of this one like the other ones I had before, got in to much of a hurry to finish it, I have 3 smaller grills that I use for cooking steaks, chicken, ribs, but don't use them much anymore either, sure was a lot easier when I was in my 50's and 60's, but COPD has cut down my wood cutting quite a bit! :(

I would love to see a pic of your Dad's grill! 8)

Hi Tequiza,

Here are are few photos. As you can see there is storage for wood below, two tinder boxes for two cooking areas, a prep/beer or wine area and my gas grill.

John
Attachments
IMG 1_4388.jpg
IMG 1_4388.jpg (479.46 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
IMG 1_4386.jpg
IMG 1_4386.jpg (557.89 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
IMG 1_4383.jpg
IMG 1_4383.jpg (472.85 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
John

john

Post by john »

AMDAZ wrote:Same to you .Hope you and family had a good one. :D

I sure did. I hope your holiday and everyone else's was awesome too.
Thank you,
John
John

tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Thanks for posting those pics John, your Dad did a beautiful job on that grill! I know it's easy to use the gas grill but there's nothing like the flavor of a burger, or anything else for that matter cooked over some hickory or pecan coals, you should fire that baby up once in a while, have a couple of cold ones and cook up a nice beer can chicken :idea: 8) :D
john

Post by john »

We do fire it up at least once a year. I have been using the same 20 pound bag of coal I bought two years ago. There is nothing like the flavor of wood coal bbq; it's the best. I need to replace the top. A couple of cold ones and a nice beer can chicken is alway awesome.

"Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers" I like your tag line it has a lot more meaning now!!!!

It cracked on the right hand side. My dad built it in 1964. We had so many fun weekends with my family. My sisters had recently gotten married and they came over with their babies and husbands. My dad and brother-in-laws built a 50 foot long bocci court. We had many hours of fun playing. Years later we started going to state parks. The court slowly was taken over by weeds. Life changes.
John

tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Unless the crack has some effect on the food I would leave it alone, that crack gives the grill a lot of style and character 8)
john

Post by john »

It's purely cosmetic. The concrete did not have enough time to heat up slowly and expand. I guess I fired it up just a bit too hot too fast. I haven't it replaced it simply because it's a lot of work. And, the crack has no effect on the food whatsoever :lol:.
If I did replace it I would leave one burner for wood or cold and the other side I would put in a propane burner.
John