Ornate opium pipe reproduction

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Ornate opium pipe reproduction

Post by ILikeStilettos »

A few weeks ago I was at the county flea market with my wife and daughter, who was looking for furniture bargains for her vacation home on Lake Eufala. I started talking with this guy who was selling old knives including some sword canes and riding crops when I spotted this ornate thing. I casually inquired what the asking price was, and it was so low that I grabbed it, thinking that if it was a reproduction I was getting a good deal; if it was actual bone, then I was stealing it.

As it turns out, I'm about 99% sure it's a resin casting, but it is still so ornate that I am happy with the purchase regardless.

This piece is supposed to be an opium pipe and measures 18" from tip to tip. Many of these are not functional pipes (there is no through passage for smoke). This one has the passage, but I wouldn't trust it being cast of unknown material and probably toxic content. A few friends have asked what I was putting in the bowl and suggested Maui waui. Just for the record, I'm almost 70 and I've never had so much as a single hit of cannabis in my life, and now is not the time to start. I don't do tobacco either. If that is or was your thing, I'm not commenting negatively; it's just not mine.

The detailing on this piece ranges from merely nice to stunning, with every type of Chinese icon you can think of.

I love the old man holding his apple(?) or gazing ball and standing on the head of a dragon.

Right below the bowl is a nicely rendered turtle.

Your comments and questions are welcomed. I tried checking these out on flea bay and didn't see anything approaching this quality. If I revealed what I actually paid, some will say higher numbers and more than a few will say it was I who got taken. So if anyone has experience with these or actually owns one, I'd love to hear about that and see pictures of your example. Give me your guess what I should have paid. I didn't bargain at all, just grabbed the deal. I'm not fascinated by it, so you might even talk me out of it. I just knew I could not let it get away. I figured that deal would not come around again. Thanks for listening and indulging me in posting it here.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Re: Ornate opium pipe reproduction

Post by sammy the blade »

Send it to me and I'll test, I mean check it out for you and give you an honest opinion.
2024 candidate for president
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

sammy the blade wrote:Send it to me and I'll test, I mean check it out for you and give you an honest opinion.
Nice try, Sam. I was born at night, but not last night. :D
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
john

Post by john »

I don't see any teeth marks on the mouth piece. It might be new. I was in an Indian/Tibetan/Buddhist store on Newbury St. The statuettes looked fantastic they were made from resins.
By the way the pipe is awesome!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Resins, that will be present if it's been used, I think anyway.
2024 candidate for president