Rim Fire

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Rim Fire

Post by Viking45 »

Since my Grandad gave me my first 22 I have always loved the rim fire. Ironically my first gun was a single 20 gauge (Stevens I think).
Ole Grandad gave me my first 22- An American Eagle bolt,single shot with a blond stock. The barrel was pretty darn heavy with a solid bolt action.
Certainly not a high-end 22 but superb accuracy with very nice iron sights and smooth action for "dime-store" rifle.

Jim D- Ever since you posted a pic of your 39A I can't get that rifle out of my mind.
Is yours an older model? I never ask personal questions but I am curious what year your 39 is.

If I had the cash I would buy a 39A without thinking twice.
ILikeStilettos

Re: Rim Fire

Post by ILikeStilettos »

It's actually called a CMR30 carbine, as opposed to the CMR30 pistol. I own a Keltec sub 2000 .40 cal which is really neat as it folds to 16" - the CMR30 is a completely different design, it's basically a long barreled pistol with an extendable stock - hence it's 25+" totally collapsed. They are in short suppy, I found one on GunBroker for $649, which is about $200 more than the sub 2000 in 9mm or .40 cal. I think there are lots of cool choices out there besides this one. Best of luck.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks for the input Big D. As much as I like the modern guns I still prefer the old school single shot and lever guns like Jim D's 39A.
The Ruger 10/22 is still considered the most reliable and sought after 22 rifle in history. But I would kill to have the Marlin 39A lever.
A close runner-up would be the Winchester pump which were several versions.

The new AR style 22's don't really trip my trigger so much.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I guess I misunderstood, Dave, I thought we were talking KelTec and .22 WMR. The Marlin is for sure a sweetheart. If you really want to drool, look up Henry rifles site. They have some real beauties in the $1000 plus range including a Masonic tribute piece.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Years ago I had a 39a golden, dog got in the closet and scratched up the stock but that's one that I wish I'd kept. Drank and smoked alot, missed some work too! Sold it cause I need the money for some reason or another but that's another story. Bought it at a pawn shop for $100 in the late 70s which was alot more than it is now. Anyway that had to be my favorite 22 out of the many I've owned including the Ruger 10/22 with a custom laminate stock and stainless bull barrel with a 6x scope. Open sights on the marlin but I shot it better than the 10/22. The thing I've had and wish I'd kept.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Here is my Marlin 39A. It is the "Mountie" model which I believe is rarer. I have never seen another in person. This is shorter than the regular Golden 39A's and has the straighter grip.

I think my Dad bought this new in the 60's before I was born. I have potted hundreds of squirrels with it over the years along with many other game both big and small. It is the first gun most of my family ever fired. It is the gun that stays loaded by the back slider and still kills a dozen woodchucks in the garden every year...

Stupid as hell looking back now, but my Dad taught me to shoot at 5 years old by throwing his Pabst Blue ribbon cans in the creek and letting me sink them as they floated in the current. :oops: ...And those were the years the late night indian would come on in the middle of the night shedding his tear about polluting....

Broke my heart when my Dad sold it to my younger step brother years ago, but also was part of one of my fondest memories when that same step brother offered to swap me for my regular 39A on the same day 8) ....This is probably one of my most prized possessions.
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG (249.65 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG (253.43 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG (211.78 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
sammy the blade

Terry, back then beer cans weren't aluminum so they rusted away. Probably didn't have a pull tab either. We did the same thing too and it sure was fun!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I don't know...I'm pretty sure the PBR cans were aluminum in 71 but they did have pulltabs.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Terry that is one seriously beautiful little rifle. I'm no expert but I am pretty darn sure that is a fairly rare Marlin. It's the first one I recall seeing.
I like the classic barrel stamp and the wood is gorgeous. Very impressive rifle.

My first 22 was a far cry from yours but it had a heavy barrel and was very accurate. American Eagle.
This is a pic I found but mine looked exactly like this
Attachments
AmericanEagle22.jpg
AmericanEagle22.jpg (46.63 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
sammy the blade

Pretty sure mine had the octagon barrel but that was a long time ago, had the gold colored trigger which was probably brass and the Monte Carlo stock. Should have kept it, my boy would have loved that gun, but that was way before he was even thought of.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Viking45 wrote:Terry that is one seriously beautiful little rifle. I'm no expert but I am pretty darn sure that is a fairly rare Marlin. It's the first one I recall seeing.
I like the classic barrel stamp and the wood is gorgeous. Very impressive rifle.

My first 22 was a far cry from yours but it had a heavy barrel and was very accurate. American Eagle.
This is a pic I found but mine looked exactly like this
The Marlin wasn't my first .22, just the first I ever shot...

My first .22 was similar to yours, Dave. It was a single shot bolt action that only held one round. I think it was a savage/stevens...but not sure. I remember getting it at Montgomery Wards and trying to decide between the fancy walnut Benjamin/Sheridan pellet gun and the single .22. Both were about the same money (around 70 bucks if I remember).
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Terry, love the Mountie

Dave, I bought mine new in 2009, before the demise of the Marlin Ct. facility was announced. Since then I have picked up another .22 lever action; the Browning BL-22 grade II.

Jim
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

I clicked on this one out of curiosity, great to see some pics and talk about the 39A. Great rifle, I've got an older one that was my dad's and it's a keeper for sure. Very accurate and fun for target shooting. Plus I really like the old west style of a lever action rifle.
sammy the blade

Terry, forgot I'm a little older than you. We used to take the jon boat out fishing and dad would sink the can, probably cause he didn't want a game warden seeing them. I remember it was before pull tabs cause I remember the
opener that had a cap opener on one end and on the other end would put a v cut in a can. Just like your dad mine drank pbr too.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

A Blue Ribbon sounds good right now...I haven't had one since before my ol' man passed away. 8)