Spider Tales

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Spider Tales

Post by Viking45 »

A couple years back I posted a picture of our black widow spider.
She had lived in her corner for at least 6 years that we knew of.
A few days ago we had two fairly warm days after a week of bitter cold and one morning I saw her crawling out of hiding and thought that was very odd being dead winter.
Later that afternoon I found her dead hanging in her web.

Many articles say they have a life span of 3 years some say 5 but I spoke with a zoologist at Bass Pro Shops and he said they had one on display at the zoo for over 20 years.
(this is an old picture taken a few years ago)
Attachments
widow.jpg
widow.jpg (171.48 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Chrisadamley

Re: Spider Tales

Post by Chrisadamley »

Is it not dangerous to let a blad widow spider hang out around your house for so long? What if it came inside? I thought they were very poisonous.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

If I'm not mistaken they are the most venomous spider in North America.
Thing is if I saw more than one I would have done something. I know some people have an infestation and that's a huge problem.
I guess I am kind of a weird-o,I liked having it around. There is a place in the garage next to the door going to the patio that has about 3/4 of an inch of a gap and that's where she was all these years.
One thing I learned is that these spiders are not master web builders,messy in fact but incredibly strong and tacky webbing.
Cleaning the garage one summer and got some on my hand and fingers and for a split second it spooked me because it was so strong.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

One of the things about BW, they lay hundreds of eggs and when they hatch, they float off on the winds with venom fully enabled. Hence the potential for a bite is huge, even if you think you're leaving them alone and not doing anything.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."