New England Parkinson's Ride

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
javacupper

New England Parkinson's Ride

Post by javacupper »

Back in March I suffered a minor heart attack. My recovery has been excellent but the hospital bills kept me away from the Blade Show this year. As part of my rehab I took up bike riding. My sister's husband is a member of the board of directors for the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. Each year they take part in the New England Parkinson's Ride fundraiser. I decided to join them this year now that my heart and bank account are both recovering. So far I have raised $1,171 for the foundation and as a new participant every dollar I raise will be matched by the Matching Challenge of Sergey Brin, the co-founder of Google, whose mother has Parkinson's. Our full team total is now $8,476. If you are willing to support a great cause here is the link to my participant page: http://www2.michaeljfox.org/site/TR/Tea ... fr_id=1080

Thanks,
Elliott O'Reilly, javacupper
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
Viking45

Re: New England Parkinson's Ride

Post by Viking45 »

Outstanding Java. Been wondering about you.
You and I spoke not long ago and I knew you had some health issues.
I speak for many here that it is great news to see you are doing better and the fact you are doing for others is just amazing.

I salute you my friend and please keep us informed on your well being and what you are doing outside the forum.

One Missourian to another- Take care my friend and do not hesitate to ask if I can be of any help what-so-ever.
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

Viking, I try to balance my "senile" delinquency towards switchblades with a few good acts! I am also thankful that I have been able to turn around my health so quickly. My exercise routine has kept me pretty busy. This election year is also taking up time as I have been volunteering with a couple of candidates as well as an Area Campaign Representative for the NRA who has opened an office in the St. Louis Area through the Nov. election to convince gun owners of the very real threat to our 2nd Amendment rights we face if Obama gets a second term! Later this fall I plan to get back to some knife customizing. BTW, today marks one week now that the Missouri law removing switchblades from the banned weapons list has been in effect. Thought I'd also throw in a couple of photos showing the change in my biking methods. The first was taken by a friend as I was halfway through a 6000 mile trip in 1981. The second was taken a week ago as I set out on a little 41 mile ride here on the southern coast of Maine.

The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Good for you Java. Love that BMW,those things have a sound all their own.
The new bike may not have the horse power but it will get you in good shape.

I have a nice old vintage Peugeot "touring" style from about 1971 and was thinking about getting new tubes,tires,chain and cables and maybe a complete lube job on the crank and stem and do some riding this fall. It's been sitting for many years.
I bought this bike at a garage sale back in 97' and the man was a retired doctor that said he bought it new. It still had the original tires and a leather seat.
This bike is still fairly modern considering how old it is. I can lift it with two fingers.

I'll take some pics when I get it fixed up.

Oh and thanks a million for what you are doing for the candidates. :idea:
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Good to see your on the mend, java, and looking pretty good on the bike. I need to get my fat ass back on my mountain bike. :oops:

PS- I made a small donation in your name. Good luck and I hope your team does well.
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

I appreciate the support. I did see a donation that I did not recognize. Altogether our team has raised $13,786 for the Michael J. Fox Foundation in support of our ride tomorrow not including the Matching Challenge.