How boring...

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Markco the Mad otter

How boring...

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

:roll:
While a friend of mine was home on leave from Afghanistan we went to a gun show. He picked up a couple rifles and left them with me when he went back.
Guess they don't like soldiers having guns and or shooting them...anyway he asked me to take some pictures of them. Guess he missed 'em.
I tried a shot that I never had before...
Attachments
DSCN0914.JPG
DSCN0914.JPG (234.04 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Re: How boring...

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Marko,

Great pic, I love it! Tell your buddy to stay safe, and God bless. My semi-adopted son, Robert, just shipped out to the same part of the planet, his 2nd tour. They are all in my prayers.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Pretty cool pic. I think I see a little guy down there wearing a pointy copper hat :lol:

God bless your buddy and Bonz's son.
My nephew is home now but he spent 6 years in the Corps in that part of the world.
panner

Post by panner »

:lol: A most interessting angle one you don't see too often,luv to see a full on shot of your excellent looking knife collection 8) :!: God Bless to all those who serve and protect :!:
Last edited by panner on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVERY MAN DIES : NOT EVERY MAN REALLY LIVES.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

panner wrote::lol: A most interessting angle one you don't see too often,luv to see a full on shot of your excellent looking knife collection 8) :!:
That's a warehouse he's got there :!: :shock:
Markco the Mad otter

Ha ha ha...some of ya are just too much. I of course will extend your comments to my friend. I am able to talk to him several times a week over the internet. How wonderful that is!! Sure has shrunk the world.
There have been mornings before work that I have been talking to someone a couple states away, Italy and Afghanistan at the same time.
Actually Viking, what you see is the bolt. The dark pin point down there is really the firing pin.
This rifle is a Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30. You can pick up nice ones at gun shows for around $100. He also got a 8mm Mauser that has some interesting stamps.

I added another picture of the gun but not so good. These things are pretty long bolt action WWII the fire a 7.62x52R. The "R" stands for the oddly large rime on the cartridge.
One of the oddest shells that I have seen. Maybe I get "bored" again I will take a picture of that.
Oh, and for those that aren't into guns so much, the long rod under the barrel is a cleaning rod, not a ram rod. :?
Attachments
DSCN0912.JPG
DSCN0912.JPG (219.59 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

From the picture it appears to be a round receiver version, but maybe I'm wrong.
Is it a hex or round receiver?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Markco the Mad otter wrote: Actually Viking, what you see is the bolt. The dark pin point down there is really the firing pin.
No Mr. Otter I was just messin' with you. :lol:
If there was a little guy down there wearing a pointy copper hat...he would be in the dark and you couldn't see him unless of course you turned on the light but that would be a bit hard on your camera :lol:

Very cool pic 8)
Markco the Mad otter

Viking45 wrote:
Markco the Mad otter wrote: Actually Viking, what you see is the bolt. The dark pin point down there is really the firing pin.
No Mr. Otter I was just messin' with you. :lol:
If there was a little guy down there wearing a pointy copper hat...he would be in the dark and you couldn't see him unless of course you turned on the light but that would be a bit hard on your camera :lol:

Very cool pic 8)
:? :shock: :o :lol: 8)
geeez! wonder if I put one in and left the chamber open..... :lol:
I think if I could, I would reach across and smack ya upside the head you clown! Geeeez! ha ha ha be hard on the camera...don't think that would be the biggest problem.
Guess I was in the dark!
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Markco the Mad otter

dark2023 wrote:From the picture it appears to be a round receiver version, but maybe I'm wrong.
Is it a hex or round receiver?

Round

wish I had pulled that hair off of the sight.
Attachments
DSCN0924.JPG
DSCN0924.JPG (289.79 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Hmmm, later model. Still nice. Especially a nice Russian one.
My uncle has a Westinghouse 91/30 which is an odd thing to see.

Looks like that one is in AMAZING condition though.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Markco the Mad otter

It and the one that I got are both in very good condition. This one probably a little nicer than mine.
And for no more than the cost. There is another WWII Russian rifle that I see that is pretty inexpensive too.
Maybe an M44? I forget, shoots the same odd ammunition.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Markco the Mad otter wrote:geeez! wonder if I put one in and left the chamber open..... :lol:
I think if I could, I would reach across and smack ya upside the head you clown! Geeeez! ha ha ha be hard on the camera...don't think that would be the biggest problem.
Guess I was in the dark!
Mr. Otter my friend I am afraid you misunderstood my humor. No big deal.
I was only being silly and it had nothing to do with you being unsafe,I was just trying my hand at being funny and it failed.
Your collection Sir and contributions are second to none.

Not to mention your museum-quality knife collection and displays are the envy of all of us here.
Now for my next question- When you entertain friends and share your exquisite collection...is there some kind of elevator-type music in the background? Perhaps the latest James bond theme? :lol:

Ha,don't shoot me brother,I just had to rib you a bit. (You and Jarvis looked sharp as hell in a tux)
I for one am most envious of your magnificent knife collection and your creative photography is outstanding.

Dave
Markco the Mad otter

Viking45 wrote:
Markco the Mad otter wrote:geeez! wonder if I put one in and left the chamber open..... :lol:
Guess I was in the dark!
Mr. Otter my friend I am afraid you misunderstood my humor. No big deal.
I was only being silly and it had nothing to do with you being unsafe,I was just trying my hand at being funny and it failed.
Your collection Sir and contributions are second to none.

Not to mention your museum-quality knife collection and displays are the envy of all of us here.
Now for my next question- When you entertain friends and share your exquisite collection...is there some kind of elevator-type music in the background? Perhaps the latest James bond theme? :lol:

Ha,don't shoot me brother,I just had to rib you a bit. (You and Jarvis looked sharp as hell in a tux)
I for one am most envious of your magnificent knife collection and your creative photography is outstanding.

Dave
Yup, that one totally got by me the first time. Naw, you didn't fail at your humor, I just failed to catch the joke first time 'round (pun) and I know it takes a lot out of a joke when it has to be explained.
Thanks for all the compliments.
That tux was sort of a joke in itself, the way I ended up with it.
While between jobs the agency I was working mostly through got me a gig as a shopping spree butler at JC Pennys on black Friday a year or two ago. This is the truth, the shirt and pants were so ill fitting that if it hadn't been for that coat I really would have looked like a clown.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I wore a tux one time and that was my Senior prom. In 1981 it was "cool" to wear a white tux so mine was white with tails and the off color was blue to match my girlfriends dress.
The only suit I ever owned was a brown corduroy number for my brothers wedding.
Funny thing,brown corduroy is popular again,at least for women. You should have seen the girl at the market the other day. Very short brown corduroy skirt with a white tank top and legs.....oh my :shock:

But back to reality :lol: I think a tux is kind of cool but I recall it took a long time for the guy to make mine fit well. He actually had to tailor the pants and shirt but the jacket was ok.
It cost 35 bucks to rent one back then,hate to know what it cost today.