Real Leather Belts???

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sicboy13

Real Leather Belts???

Post by sicboy13 »

Ok, I'm a pretty resourceful guy, that being said, where would one purchase an actual leather belt nowadays? I have an old, black-leather belt that is SOLID leather, like a shaving strap or something. A friend gave it to me 10 years ago, and it must have been his dads before that, because it is old, but still the sturdiest belt I have ever owned...like pass it down to my kids...heirloom quality. I've wondered if it may be an old gun belt or utility belt? Who knows. But it's badass in it's durability.

I have been on a quest to find a the same type of leather belt, but in brown, for work when I have to tuck in my shirt, etc. No matter where I've shopped, online, brick & mortor, high-end, low-end, to in-between stores, all I can find are these crap-"leather" belts that say they are 100% leather, and that may very well be...but on the front only. the back is still that crumby paper or cardboard crap that falls apart after a few months at most. Then the holes tear...the front cracks...and I end up looking like hobo. I'm not cheap, nor have rick tastes, but I'd be willing to shell out the right price if I could only find this elusive item.

I was in Younkers today, not Brooks Brothers by any means, but a pretty nice store still. The closest thing I could find that seemed like it would last more than 3 months is the braided "leather" belts, but hell, even those look & feel like plastic now.

Anyway, enough for that rant. If anyone knows where I could find what I'm looking for, send me the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
tequiza

Re: Real Leather Belts???

Post by tequiza »

Check the sites that make gun belts for Cowboy action shooting, most of them will have real leather belts. :idea:

Here's one,
http://www.westernleatherholster.com/we ... y-pouches/
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

tequiza wrote:Check the sites that make gun belts for Cowboy action shooting, most of them will have real leather belts. :idea:

Here's one,
THANK YOU. I think I found what I was looking for :)

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

sicboy13 wrote:
tequiza wrote:Check the sites that make gun belts for Cowboy action shooting, most of them will have real leather belts. :idea:

Here's one,
THANK YOU. I think I found what I was looking for :)
8) Glad to help sic :D I bought the John Wayne belt over 5 years ago and it's going to outlast me for sure :!: :lol:
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. Teq,
Not sure about the belt, but i did purchase John Wayne toilet paper......
It was rough and tough and didn't take crap off of anybody
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

missaman wrote:Mr. Teq,
Not sure about the belt, but i did purchase John Wayne toilet paper......
It was rough and tough and didn't take crap off of anybody
Mr Missa,
Gee, I never heard that one before :lol:
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i've always made my own leather belt, ya can get yhe blanks at tandy leather along with the dye, snaps and rivets, ect
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Try this. I've order a couple of times. Good quality belts. Maybe not as thick as mentioned but excellent and well made.

http://www.yourtack.com/embossed-leathe ... 4AodmAqKDQ
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

Razor_54 wrote:Try this. I've order a couple of times. Good quality belts. Maybe not as thick as mentioned but excellent and well made.

Thank you, this one looks promising...

http://www.yourtack.com/brown-latigo-to ... -belt.html

I also looked at Tandy...funny enough, that's where I used to get studs & spikes for my leather jacket back in the 90's :evil:

Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

TRYKER wrote:i've always made my own leather belt, ya can get yhe blanks at tandy leather along with the dye, snaps and rivets, ect
I work with leather a lot,knife sheaths,belts and a few other things. Never a holster though.
Anyway I understand about the store bought stuff.
I have two belts,a black and brown both are strips of heavy leather, simple nickle-plated brass buckles and have "Made In USA" stamped in the leather but no other name.
I have had them almost 20 years now.

Like Tryker mentioned you can make one your self.
If you want me to make you one PM me.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

Razor_54 wrote:Try this. I've order a couple of times. Good quality belts. Maybe not as thick as mentioned but excellent and well made.

Thanks for the link Razor. Great looking stuff.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I had a hard time finding a good leather belt too a couple years ago. Then I remembered a couple folks at the local flea market that usually sold belts and leather tooled items. They had fany ones ane plain belts. That's where I ended up getting one at a very good price.
redeye

Post by redeye »

I went to a shoe and leather repair guy about 20 years ago and had him make me a belt out of some really thick leather it cost me about 35 bux but I still have and wear it and its still in great shape too .I imagine it will last me the rest of my life.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

In 1968 when I worked at Sears Roebuck I bought a black garrison belt with a rather large buckle. I wore that belt for work and knockin around in jeans for almost 40 yrs. I probably should have retired it a few years before but it was like an old friend. It finally was too worn to wear anymore so I had a leather worker make me a new one in brown and attached a Case knife buckle to it. Jim
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Cabelas sells some killer leather belts. Just got 1 that's 1 1/2 or 1 3/4" wide, approx 3/16" thick, snaps so buckle can be changed, $19.95 plus shipping. Never had a quality problem with Cabelas products. Brown or black, like saddle leather, pretty damn stiff. Greg
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises