Was it just timing?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Was it just timing?

Post by Tom19176 »

Yesterday about three miles from where Sarah Palin was speaking, the Nassau DA raided several gun stores, and concluded the ten month long investiagtion and held a press conference right after Palin's speech. Palin had a pro gun answer to questions asked of her in the lunch in, and this was the media buzz after lunch was served...

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=7965139
Tom19176

Re: Was it just timing?

Post by Tom19176 »

There is another side to the story....not sure how true or not this is:

http://www.longislandlawyerblog.com/wha ... tore-raids

anybody reading this one?
Last edited by Tom19176 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Tom19176 wrote:Ther is another side to the story....

http://www.longislandlawyerblog.com/wha ... tore-raids

anybody reading this one?
Sure am reading it Tom, sounds about par for ny state, make up the rules as they go along :evil: the guns they list as a no-no are in every gun shop around here from $400.00 to $600.00 but you can't buy one unless you have a GWL or pass a back round check, I don't know of one single legit shop that would sell a gun under the circumstances that that cop wanted :!:
So glad I left that commi state almost 40 years ago and haven't been back since!
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Whoopie the modified rifle had a "bayonette mount," (their spelling of bayonet not mine.
Even the army rarely uses bayonets on their rifles. Ever hear of a liquor store (or any other place) being robbed at bayonet point? Ridiculous, surely we we are living in the end times or maybe in some Alice in Wonderland world as idiotic as things have become. :?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Decades of conservative rule, has left N.Y. with a sizable budget surplus.
They have chosen to allot a tiny portion of it, to protect the public.
Like Massachusetts, they want to stop, the rapidly rising, rate of drive-by bayonetings :wink:
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks for the responses. The main shop owner is a bit of a loud guy and is easily viewed as a bad guy, but he is not. It seems that he sold the guns legally but warned how they could be altered. They were all released without bail after being charged with several felony counts??? This will be an interesting one....
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Tom19176 wrote:Thanks for the responses. The main shop owner is a bit of a loud guy and is easily viewed as a bad guy, but he is not. It seems that he sold the guns legally but warned how they could be altered. They were all released without bail after being charged with several felony counts??? This will be an interesting one....
Please keep us posted on what happens,
thanks.
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Jody

Post by Jody »

For example, a pin was placed in the stock of a weapon in an attempt to prevent its collapse. However, the pins were designed to be easily removable making the stock collapsible.
(taken from article in the link)

Are collapsible stocks illegal in most states? I never knew this was illegal, I thought it was a bonus feature that made the gun cooler, like a thermal scope. According to this if you have a thermal scope and collapsible stock, your in trouble...?

I just don't get it.
What if you need to shoot at someone hiding behind a bush? Isn't a thermal scope a nice bell or whistle to have? lol
And the collapsible stock, well what if you are having to shoot from a laying down position, wouldn't a collapsible stock come in so handy then?

Does the right to bear arms not apply to NY? :roll:
Jody
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Jody wrote:
For example, a pin was placed in the stock of a weapon in an attempt to prevent its collapse. However, the pins were designed to be easily removable making the stock collapsible.
(taken from article in the link)

Are collapsible stocks illegal in most states? I never knew this was illegal, I thought it was a bonus feature that made the gun cooler, like a thermal scope. According to this if you have a thermal scope and collapsible stock, your in trouble...?

I just don't get it.
What if you need to shoot at someone hiding behind a bush? Isn't a thermal scope a nice bell or whistle to have? lol
And the collapsible stock, well what if you are having to shoot from a laying down position, wouldn't a collapsible stock come in so handy then?

Does the right to bear arms not apply to NY? :roll:
Jody
VERY complicated answer :roll:
Several states have a stupid "assault weapon ban", Usually 3 +/- features must be included to meet the definition - folding stock/bayonet mount/vertical pistol grip/high capacity mag/threaded barrel/etc [it varies from state to state] :roll:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Not on my computer so I wasn't able to read the article(poor connection). From what I am gathering this was not just good timing but a planned effort or in this case "opportunity".

I did catch part of the news saying shop owners were putting profit over the safety of citizens.
Wha...? If these people were selling guns to street gangs or drug dealers yes but these were legitimate people buying guns to fend off these a-holes.

There is so much to add to this but it still boils down to the basic old saying- Take guns from the good guys,only the bad guys will have guns.

Some day the cops are going to wish more good law-abiding citizens had guns when the sh*t hits the fan in the streets and they need help because they themselves are out-gunned.

I don't even want to get started on the bayonet ban :roll:
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

This is a link to a forum that is Long Island based ( Nassau and Suffork county) and gives more details. I am not a member of it or I would voice an opinion. NYS law grandfathered all pre ban rifles/shotguns as the federal ban did. The governor was made fun of at the time by the Dems as they said he did not ban any guns since the federal law was in effect. Now that the federal law has expired, the NYS law actually has an effect. It seems that the rifles sold were not altered at the time of sale ( or so it seems) so I am not sure where the true violation is? It also seems the local PD has had an issue with the main seller, and may have gone after others so as not to make it seem that he was the subject of a witch hunt. All this occurs while Sarah Palin was three miles away making a speech, and it was known she has pro gun feelings....

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum ... es_nassau/
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Tom19176 wrote: All this occurs while Sarah Palin was three miles away making a speech, and it was known she has pro gun feelings....
I refer back to my original post- "timing or opportunity",seems like a good chance for the "other" guys to make a good point about guns...or should I say "anti" gun?

I like your use of the term "witch hunt",perfect description. 8)