I found another Outsiders knife

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jeff

I found another Outsiders knife

Post by Jeff »

The first scene in a movie I ever saw a butterfly knife in was The Outsiders. Emilio Estevez was a natural with flipping it open with some real style and at first I thought it was a switchblade (I was 11)
Many people refer his knife to this day as "Two Bits switchblade"
It's a Pre Benchmade "BALI SONG" brand butterfly knife I heard was made in the USA in the 70's. The model offered 4 different blade types (as well as a damascus for each) and Two Bits had the Weehawk blade, and "hidden pin" look. These knives are built like a tank.
They are unbeleivably rare now and bali collectors want a mint for one. This was one of the hardest knives for me to locate.
Since I have a small Autographs collection I started enjoying building movie display cases of my favorites with props of my own as a hobbie.
This knife was intended for a case with an autograph from Emilio Estivez.
Two Bits character was a joker that wore sleeveless Mickey Mouse shirts and was a big fan of Mickey and his character was similar to the vintage mouse. The movie gave several advertisement references to Budweiser Beer and pinned the Bud crown on Two Bit as theres a few scenes with him drinking Bud.
The first close up of his knife was in a fight scene where outnumbered by Soc's walking with the Soc's girlfriends he breaks a budweiser bottle on the fence, throws it to his buddy (glass bottle weapon)
and flips the knife open. (Cool scene.
The best was the hospital scene where you can see his skills with it.
Anyway this is my knife and case for anybody that might enjoy seeing it. The Autograph is certified authentic ( 4x 6 index card ) and slabbed in plastic with a serial # I added the engraved brass plaque and mouse to add a little to it. (Note the mouse patch I used and the mouse on his shirt in the pics below) I really try to get as close as I can with these.
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Leverlock switchblades
Jeff

Re: I found another Outsiders knife

Post by Jeff »

Leverlock switchblades
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Oh and at the very end of this video you can see him open the knife.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syoGr66bKjY
Leverlock switchblades
Bama

Post by Bama »

Very cool displays! That is great!
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I'm happy to see you found "the knife" Jeff.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Outstanding Jeff. This really brings knife collecting and methods of display to a whole new realm.
Most people would settle for replicas or cheap props but everything you do is the real thing and that sets you apart from the rest.
That Bali is just absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't a huge fan at first but the more I see them the more I want a nice one.

Superb job on the display and congrats on finding that Benchmade 8)
Last edited by Viking45 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunner

Post by gunner »

:shock: Congrats on a great snag, it is just like Two-Bit's!! I knew you'd sniff one out. The display is another stunner, that broken beer bottle is the icing on the cake! Didn't even think of that. Wish they were on my wall!! Great props 8)
SPRINGER KÖNIG
redeye

Post by redeye »

the beer bottle and vintage tab and bottle cap really set this one off great job and I am glad that ya found that durn elusive knife i know that you have been chasing it a while congrats
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Now we want to know how many Bud's you had to drink before you got that broken one just right? :lol:
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

wow! :shock: VERY nice display!!!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks alot for all the really kind words guys.
Viking: that was the 5th bottle.
Leverlock switchblades
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

That's pretty cool. I've never been a big butterfly knife guy, but my half Filipino cousin Scotty is nuts about 'em. I guess the cops have confiscated several from him over the years. I didn't think anything knife wise was illegal here in Idaho, other than automatics over six inches in city limits.

They haven't been in a movie I know of.... but has anyone seen those ratcheting gypsy knives?

I'm not going to say it out loud, but there is a word other than 'beer bottle weapon' for that. I'd not even mention it, but I heard it on Clerks 2.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I've always been a huge S.E. Hinton fan so this is awesome on so many levels. I got in a lot of trouble as a kid so needless to say I was grounded a lot Hahaha The Outsiders, That was Then This is Now, and Rumble Fish were read over and over again. When I was 15 I moved to Tulsa and have gotten to see the actual locations of the movies shoots. Thanks for sharing these man.
Silver_Srag

Post by Silver_Srag »

Wow, those are incredible, would you happen to know the exact name of the knives in both of the displays, and maybe where i can find them, ive been searching for about 2 years, I know the switchblade is a german hubertus, but i can never find them
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Silver_Srag wrote:Wow, those are incredible, would you happen to know the exact name of the knives in both of the displays, and maybe where i can find them, ive been searching for about 2 years, I know the switchblade is a german hubertus, but i can never find them
The shell puller is German but I don't think it is Hubertus,it may be a CCC (Cleveland Cutlery Company) or a Bonsa.
Jeff the original poster has not been around in a long time but maybe someone here can recall what brand the shell puller is for sure.

Jeff's displays are very impressive.